Divorce In Thailand

annnick

I'm wondering if anyone can help me,my gf and I wish to marry in Thailand in April

Problem is my gf us still married to her previous partner,who she hasn't seen now for over 3 yrs

Does anyone have any knowledge of thai law and how easy it will be to get divorced without her partner as we don't even know if he still living in Thailand,also I was told that you couldn't re-marry till 10 months after you was divorced can anyone verify

Thanks very much

I was married to a Thai who I had not seen nor knew the whereabouts for over ten years. Married in Korat but finally went to the Thai court to get my divorce. Had to get a Thai lawyer and the court only took 45 minutes. The law firm I used mainly caters to farangs who have legal problems in Thailand. If you wish to know a number to call, send a PM and I will send the number I have or contact her husband as he is a friend if I don't have the correct number.

Your GF will have to petition the court to get a divorce, on reason of abandonment. That will take some time, as efforts must be made to locate her husband.

Yes, there is a 10 month waiting period. But that can be waived, for example with a doctors attest that she currently is not pregnant. So it will not be an additional wait of 10 months.

More information about Thai family law here: