Death toll rises to 12 in Australian flash flooding

News_Editor

Death toll rises to 12 in Australian flash flooding

2011-01-12 12:27:46 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA (BNO NEWS) -- With the bodies of two more men found, the death toll in Australia's Lockyer Valley flash flooding rose to 12 on Wednesday as authorities warn that the worst is yet to come, local media reported.

Queensland premier Anna Bligh said 3,585 people have officially registered into 57 evacuation centers across the state as floodwaters continue to force residents to seek refuge, the Brisbane Times reported.

And as authorities revised down the number of people missing in the Lockyer Valley to 67, Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman warned residents that around 20,000 homes will be flooded in the area in the next 24 hours as well as 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets.

Since Monday, thousands of desperate calls have been made to emergency services as the flooding cut off power and roadways, making rescue efforts more difficult with the most affected areas being Toowoomba, Murphy's Creek, Helidon, Grantham, Gatton, Glenore Grove, among other areas down stream.

Bligh went on to describe the flooding as the "worst natural disaster in our history."

Power outages have affected more than 50,000 people in southeast Queensland, including 22,000 in Ipswich, and more than 15,000 in Brisbane, the paper reported.

In addition, at around 7.30 a.m. local time, the Bremer River had risen to 18.9 meters (62 feet) but it is expected to reach over 20 meters (66 feet).

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-12

Yes looters are just scum. Brisbane river to peak at about 4am tomorrow morning. Luckily I haven't been flooded. I can't go far as the roads are closed, but the house etc is fine and I can get to shops.

I feel for those in the firing line. We are a tough people, in the end, she'll be right mate.

Yes looters are just scum. Brisbane river to peak at about 4am tomorrow morning. Luckily I haven't been flooded. I can't go far as the roads are closed, but the house etc is fine and I can get to shops.

I feel for those in the firing line. We are a tough people, in the end, she'll be right mate.

Yeah I mean some friends have lost their homes and they're cracking jokes on Facebook. Either they've got more character than I ever gave them credit for or they're in shock. Hopefully the former.

Looters should be scoped and taken out. I mean...they're rocking with high-powered speedboats, it's not like they're breaking glass to steal loaves of bread for starving children. Scum.

The CBD lol....

165637_10150379461740164_629100163_16846024_6383381_n.jpg