Withdrawal Symptoms After Drinking?

chops

I go out to the bars for a few drinks once a week or so. Usually I drink about 15? beers or so in a night on one of these binges. I don't think I overdo it with booze, but perhaps you can give me your opinion. However, lately I've been feeling just awful after my binges. These feelings never occurred before, but are now showing with more regularity.

About 24-48 hours after I drink, I feel depressed, might have a panic attack(rarely), my heart feels like it is 'buzzing', I have diahrea, nausea, vomit and generally feel like rubbish.

I think these are withdrawal symptoms, but I have no idea what other drinkers feel. I'd rather not drink at all if this is what I'm going to feel afterwards. Maybe I am overdoing it on the binges. :( But really, do you think 15-20 beers a week is too much?

Edited by chops

15 to 20 beers in a session? Fair play to you mate. And you feel a bit delicate in the morning? Cant think why! I like a beer as much as the next man, but i take my hat off to you. What are you drinking? I have it on good authority that beer chang can vary between 5.5 and 9.0 depending on what batch you get. Maybe you are lucky enough to get the strong batch! I hope you are English as us poms have a reputation to live up to, unlike the Aussie pussies who are used to measures served in sherry glasses called middies, or schooners, i forget which!

Shit, I used to drink up to twice that amount at least once a week during my 30s. Now that I am in my 40s I struggle to finish 10-12, with the occasional 20+ blinder. It's all part of the aging process, and yes depression does set in during some hangovers.

Shit, I used to drink up to twice that amount at least once a week during my 30s. Now that I am in my 40s I struggle to finish 10-12, with the occasional 20+ blinder. It's all part of the aging process, and yes depression does set in during some hangovers.

It's called a hangover. ;)

15 beers per week is pretty healthy IF spread out over 7 days, 2 beers a day. Binges though... not so much. ;) You may notice that as you get older, drinking 15 beers affects you more (and longer) than when you were 21.

Some tips:

* Drink slower, drink less. Drink more expensive beer if you must, which you may enjoy more and will make you go slower

* Drink LOADS of water in between beers. Also electrolyte beverages (M-Sport, Sponsor, Gatorade) are useful. Or water with rehydration salts

* Have some pre-emptive paracetamols before going to sleep. And drink more water before going to sleep.

* Take it very easy the next morning.

Overall, drinking less/slower is the main one; once you get going on a binge you may end up drinking beer like water, with each beer not significantly adding to the amount of fun you're having, but DEFINITELY adding significantly to the hangover!

On a side issue. Do you ever stick your finger into a wall socket?

You need to stop drinking completely. You are a classic binge drinker & to say you drink excessively is an understatement.

But you probably won't quit. The bon vivants on this board will tell you to cut back to 12 beers.

I would suspect after 20 beers in one night you are obviously hung over. The depression afterwards is probably your liver rebelling and looking for a place to hide in your abdomen, it has to process all that alcohol. :rolleyes:

Edited by gerry53

Try having a bite to eat before, during and/or after binging.....and a pint of water before you go to sleep, always works for me..

Oh and if you do feel shit the next morning get a can of Irn Bru doon the hatch - and please let me know if you can find Irn Bru in Thailand as I've been searching for the last 2 years without luck.

Try having a bite to eat before, during and/or after binging.....and a pint of water before you go to sleep, always works for me..

Oh and if you do feel shit the next morning get a can of Irn Bru doon the hatch - and please let me know if you can find Irn Bru in Thailand as I've been searching for the last 2 years without luck.

Mair chance o finding hens teeth!

All your symptoms are typical reactions to an over-indulgence of alcohol. Not all heavy drinkers experience all the symptoms you describe, but many do.

You feel depressed because alcohol is a depressant - simple as that.

The fact that you are getting all these symptoms is good, not bad. It is a warning to you that you are abusing your body.

Binge drinking once a week can be worse than moderate drinking on a daily basis and 14 beers at one session is very excessive.

I suggest you try to cut down or even stop completely and see how successful you are.

Good luck.

As above. You are definitely consuming too much in a typical binge pattern, and the way you feel afterwards is your body telling you that you are doing it damage.

Stop doing this, period. If you are able to drink in moderation -- which would be far, far less than 15 beers in a night, more like 2-3 most nights and on rare occasions a bit more -- then do that.

For some people the difficulty with having just a few drinks is that they are out socializing and don't want to go home yet. A simple trick for that is to alternate beers with non-alcoholic drinks, such as club soda, so as to stretch it out. for example, a beer, then 2 club sodas, then a beer, then back to club soda etc.

If you find that are not able to drink in moderation -- then you have your diagnosis, seek help accordingly.

What I did was to gradually find out that around 6-8 beers is my limit to avoid a bad hangover. I probably only drink alcohol once per week and when I was younger I didn't count the amount I was drinking but now I do and throw in a soda water every so often. When I get home I take a couple of Ibuprofen and loads more water. It does seem to help a lot but, more and more often now I actually enjoy going out and not drinking at all, and just ignore all the comments about drinking real drinks!! I know plenty of people in Pattaya who have completely ruined their health by thinking it is big and hard to get completely fuc_ked up every night.

I think your body is trying to tell yourself something! STOP DRINKING. At least for a while or cut down on the amount by at least half. A lot of posters on here seem to be telling you the same thing.

I used to drink far too much, now I'm almost tea total. I have the occasional blow but thats it. The last time I went out in Pattaya, I started on Singha had a couple and went on coke or OJ. Still had a great night and was able to drive home. I actually enjoy not drinking now. I hate hangovers in the morning.

All the best

Pat

I think your body is trying to tell yourself something! STOP DRINKING. At least for a while or cut down on the amount by at least half. A lot of posters on here seem to be telling you the same thing.

I used to drink far too much, now I'm almost tea total. I have the occasional blow but thats it. The last time I went out in Pattaya, I started on Singha had a couple and went on coke or OJ. Still had a great night and was able to drive home. I actually enjoy not drinking now. I hate hangovers in the morning.

All the best

Pat

I hope it's while your drunk and it's completely consensual.

:lol:

• 2 months later...

I have no desire to stop drinking. Luckily I work from home, so I can get away with drinking 30 + drinks a day. I do get hungover, but I find the best way to counter a hangover is to keep drinking.

How old are you?

I used to brag about how much I could drink when in my teens and early twenties.

Just remember that alcoholism is a progressive disease. At my lowest point i was drinking round the clock so as to avoid the withdrawal(not hangover. 2 large bottles of whiskey and around 10 bottles of Chang beer a day.Nothing to be proud of.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, the OP isn't drinking 15 beers a week; he is drinking 15 beers in one session. This is not a 'normal' drinking pattern and (for the OP at least) will lead to his symptoms every time.

OP, if you can't manage to drink in moderation then you yourself have stated what you need to do. Stop drinking completely.

I have no desire to stop drinking. Luckily I work from home, so I can get away with drinking 30 + drinks a day. I do get hungover, but I find the best way to counter a hangover is to keep drinking.

I hope you're not one of my contractors...

I remember phoning a chap up to arrange a job interview; he was slurring at mid-day; I never phoned him again.

So I suppose he continued to get away with drinking all day...

SC

Saturday night drink as usual. 1 x Packet Benson & Hedges classic,.12 x Stella beers, 1 bottle Jack Daniels 700 ml, 1 Bottle port 700 ml. Starting to not feel so well in the morning, may be I should cut down getting close to 50 years of age.:bah::whistling:

Saturday night drink as usual. 1 x Packet Benson & Hedges classic,.12 x Stella beers, 1 bottle Jack Daniels 700 ml, 1 Bottle port 700 ml. Starting to not feel so well in the morning, may be I should cut down getting close to 50 years of age.:bah::whistling:

If you were really drinking that much in one go you would more than likely be dead.

This is a SERIOUS forum for people with drinking problems, please treat it as such

I hope you're not one of my contractors...

I remember phoning a chap up to arrange a job interview; he was slurring at mid-day; I never phoned him again.

So I suppose he continued to get away with drinking all day...

SC

Like getting away with suicide...

• 4 months later...

In 1993 a Harvard doctor named Wechsler proclaimed that 5 drinks or 90 grams alcohol is a "binge". To my knowledge and experience this is a perversion of the meaning of the word which in my experience denoted a multiday round-the-clock period of complete drunkenness. Many young people feel the same so the idea has only partial acceptance. Nonetheless this establishes a kind of reference point, 90 grams (not fluid ounces) of absolute alcohol.

This is equivalent to any of the following consumption in one day or evening (each a pattern that might be familiar to many drinkers):

4-5 pints

5-6 12 oz beers

3 big singh

3 pints + half bottle wine

1.5 bottle wine

Note that the 12 or 15 beers a day that have been mentioned by the OP or suggested as a "bon vivant" life style amounts to more than twice the so-caled "binge" level of 90 g/d. On the other hand the maximum suggested daily amount from most bureaucrats or anti-alcohol enthusiasts is only 20-40 g/day, a small fraction of the 90 g/day reference.

As a long time drinker who has spent many years with daily consumption near this 90 g/day level, I will follow (at age 70+) this post later up with some comments on my experience.

Ron

Edited by ronswelters2

In 1993 a Harvard doctor named Wechsler proclaimed that 5 drinks or 90 grams alcohol is a "binge". To my knowledge and experience this is a perversion of the meaning of the word which in my experience denoted a multiday round-the-clock period of complete drunkenness. Many young people feel the same so the idea has only partial acceptance. Nonetheless this establishes a kind of reference point, 90 grams (not fluid ounces) of absolute alcohol.

This is equivalent to any of the following consumption in one day or evening (each a pattern that might be familiar to many drinkers):

4-5 pints

5-6 12 oz beers

3 big singh

3 pints + half bottle wine

1.5 bottle wine

Note that the 12 or 15 beers a day that have been mentioned by the OP or suggested as a "bon vivant" life style amounts to more than twice the so-caled "binge" level of 90 g/d. On the other hand the maximum suggested daily amount from most bureaucrats or anti-alcohol enthusiasts is only 20-40 g/day, a small fraction of the 90 g/day reference.

As a long time drinker who has spent many years with daily consumption near this 90 g/day level, I will follow (at age 70+) this post later up with some comments on my experience.

Ron

Correction to the foregoing post: on re-reviewing Wechsler's definition I see that his definition of one drink is one 12 oz standard beer which leads to his (controversial) claim that 90 FLUID OUNCES of absolute alcohol is a "binge". This equates to 70 grams of alcohol, not 90 as I stated above. So the daily drinking patterns above are really "binge plus 25%". The word "binge" by the way is mid-nineteenth century dialect for "soak" as in soaking old wooden barrels to seal them.

Interestingly the medical dictionaries seem to define "binge" an an uncontrolled episode of excessive drinking which raises the question of whether a man who drinks more than the Wechsler definiton but "knows his limit" can be said to be on a binge regardless of how much he drinks.

Ron