Not Happy

andrew55

Sometimes passengers may check in 1.5-2 hours before the flight leaves, but only go through immigration with 30-45 minutes to spare (and that's not taking into account boarding 15 minutes before take off). Some passengers even go through immigration with enough time to spare, but then sit down for a drink or a meal and forget about the time. The flight can't wait for all the lazy idiots out there, too.

Some of you really don't spend the 15 seconds needed to anaylze the situation.

So according to you ground staff remove all the bags from the hold & remove the bags of the no shows? I wonder how long that takes.

Budget airlines can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. Backpacker _____.

Jeez I get tired of repeating myself.

Everyone is told that they should check in 2 hours before the flight. They are also told that the plane boards at a particular time. Some people take their chances and get there later. Sometimes they don't have a problem. Other times they get caught out.

Where do you draw the line as to when it is acceptable to remove bags? Passengers need to realise that if they are late, they could miss the flight.

The airlines have a time. Once you are past that, they remove your bags.

Edited by whybother

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So according to you ground staff remove all the bags from the hold & remove the bags of the no shows? I wonder how long that takes.

In the 15 seconds you spent analysing this situation, did you consider that by not removing the bags of latecomers, and by delaying planes for their benefit, you encourage this behaviour and in the long term, create greater delay. People have to know that there is a cut off time and if you go beyond it, it's tough tittie - otherwise everyone starts to ignore and abuse the rules.

I am afraid i have little sympathy for people who can not be bothered to turn up at airports with enough time to spare,if you are a seasoned traveller you will be fully aware of the 100s of possible problems that you may encounter at an airport,why people can not just turn up 3-4 hours prior to their departure is beyond me,regardless of wether its a domestic or international flight i personally still follow the same rule,hence i have never missed a flight,whats the big deal about sitting in the departure lounge reading a newspaper and drinking cold beer.

I am afraid i have little sympathy for people who can not be bothered to turn up at airports with enough time to spare,if you are a seasoned traveller you will be fully aware of the 100s of possible problems that you may encounter at an airport,why people can not just turn up 3-4 hours prior to their departure is beyond me,regardless of wether its a domestic or international flight i personally still follow the same rule,hence i have never missed a flight,whats the big deal about sitting in the departure lounge reading a newspaper and drinking cold beer.

Indeed. Hardly rocket science is it?

[

Appreciate advice on queue jumping but just not the way my parents taught me to do things. Everyone was waiting longer than expected. To make another pax miss out because of my situation seems poor form to me. I would have trouble fibbing to the person at the front of the queue(and all behind) who'd legitimately waited that I wasn't being an 'arsehol_e'. The price of my up-bringing is that I missed my flight and you didn't yours. Still think we reap what we sow in the scheme of things.

Queued 1 hour 20 mins this morning.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I found myself with time to jot down a few observations.

*Both departure halls appeared equally busy on physical inspection. The monitors only capture inside the glassed area of each hall. Once the halls are full the monitors aren't indicative as the overflow queue before entering is not recorded.

*Separate overflow queues outside for foreigners and Thais. Both queues busy.

*No staff dealing with queue jumpers.

*14 Thai stations of which 6 were staffed.

*14 foreigner stations of which 5-6 operating.

*Security screening after passport control were keeping up with flow.

*Amazed(dismayed) as to how many people wait all that time in the line and then need the immigration officer's pen to fill out their departure card at the desk taking the time of 3 others. Gives the officer time to phone wife, kids, mia noi, etc is the silver lining.

* 3 pax had bags unloaded this morning from my flight delaying departure. Guess they hadn't anticipated delay.

I expect to wait a longer time for procedures at some airports around the world. I allow for this. Swampy is usually 20 mins. Dare I suggest a lack of consistency being the problem? I do think that Thailand needs to do better at it's primary entry/exit point. Makes it difficult for carriers and pax alike. Make it a business( see Singapore's Changi) and charge airport taxes that allow required staffing. I'd imagine that the authority responsible could do a pretty tight forecast of peak times and ensure there are hands on deck during these periods. Not many short notice movements with aircraft(toilets excluded).

Bit nasty, but I'd love a few of the well-bred officials in star-studded uniforms with #4 phones attached to their ears to do a week or 2 labouring on a building site @ 180 baht per day so that they can compare their good fortune with that of so many of their countrymen.. Guess that's when you choose a shirt colour. No opinion implied.

I still love 'Land of Smiles - Thailand' (L.O.S.T.)

A couple of observations.

The poster wasn't fibbing that he would miss his flight so wasn't being an arsehol_e.

The overflow queue before entering is obvious, it's out into the check-in area right next to those monitors you're looking at.

NB. Bold type-face not mine. Replier altered my text in reply. No big deal but don't think we're meant to do that. I don't know how to use the quote thing and guess that it was done for the same reason. Just don't want anyone thinking I was 'shouting'.

Edited by andrew55

With 20/20 hindsight I accept that you are quite correct sir and have provided sound advice. Thank you..

I wasn't after 'sympathy' in my OP. Just thought there might be others who could benefit from my experience.

Don't think many people fly more often than I, and 1st flight I've missed. Gunna try to make it the last.

Feel bad for holding up other pax while my bag was unloaded.

I think to alleviate the situation...the thai immigration should station their staff and check passport on board before touchdown....do i sound silly.... :D:D

Yes, you should get out of the house more.

Its a bit of a nightmare really because alot of people that are departing have connecting flights somewhere else, so its not just a case of missing the flight one day & coming back the next, it might actually involving losing 'domestic fares abroad', accomodation & whatever else.

Alot of airlines wont let you check in anymore than 3 hours before the flight. If its taking 2 hours to get thru immigration, given all the other stuff that needs to occur between check in and sitting on the plane, theres a very real chance your gonna miss the flight even when you are on time.

There really is no excuse for this sort of shenanigans :annoyed:

Agreed, it is the worst departing immigration area that I have been through. For a modern airport, you would have thought they would have got this bit sorted :rolleyes:

I take it you have never been to Manila then. Almost as fun as Mumbai.

Its a bit of a nightmare really because alot of people that are departing have connecting flights somewhere else, so its not just a case of missing the flight one day & coming back the next, it might actually involving losing 'domestic fares abroad', accomodation & whatever else.

Alot of airlines wont let you check in anymore than 3 hours before the flight. If its taking 2 hours to get thru immigration, given all the other stuff that needs to occur between check in and sitting on the plane, theres a very real chance your gonna miss the flight even when you are on time.

There really is no excuse for this sort of shenanigans :annoyed:

Agreed, it is the worst departing immigration area that I have been through. For a modern airport, you would have thought they would have got this bit sorted :rolleyes:

I take it you have never been to Manila then. Almost as fun as Mumbai.

Just arrived from Manila.

Travel there 2 times a year.

Considering the old air port, they are still years ahead in efficiency regarding immigration there, compare to BKK.

But since I only fly in and out of Manila 2 times a year, so I might not get the full picture of course.

Departure immigration is getting worse? Didn't think it was possible. Let me guess, the thai booths each had 2 officers and had no queue at all?

What time of day was this? I fly out Saturday at 6pm, I really don't want to have to get to the airport at 3.

I waited 1 hour last Saturday at 13:45, they not prepaired at all for the so called high Season.

But the Red shirts starting again at Ratchprasong the problem should be solved next month :)

I took a Thai friend to the airport on the 10th to catch TG 471 to Sydney leaving a little after 8am. We got to the check in rows at 6.10 am The Thai check in rows H and J were packed solid, with the queues snaking out of the check in areas left and right back into the departures hall. The queues for passport control were equally busy with the queues starting long before the entry door into the passport area. My friend just made her flight. Tempers were short, especially in the passport section queues. I think a lot of people would have missed their flight that morning.

Edited by sangfroid

I took a Thai friend to the airport on the 10th to catch TG 471 to Sydney leaving a little after 8am. We got to the check in rows at 6.10 am The Thai check in rows H and J were packed solid, with the queues snaking out of the check in areas left and right back into the departures hall. The queues for passport control were equally busy with the queues starting long before the entry door into the passport area. My friend just made her flight. Tempers were short, especially in the passport section queues. I think a lot of people would have missed their flight that morning.

I imagine that is why they say arrive 3 hours before departure.

At what time of the day and/or day of the week is departure immigration most likely backed up significantly more than normal?

Not sure.

I have a friend whom works for Thai Air ground staff (check in and stuff).

Was told that Sunday afternoon is always the worst.

She was not surprised at all when I told her about it.

I was surprised, as it is the high season and thought a Sunday or a Wednesdy should not be different.

Maybe many fly home on a Sunday after their holiday.

She also told me that all the Air lines have come up with many suggestions again and again, but the arrogance from the Immigrations section is as expected.

Strange that the Immigration dont seem to understand that the millions of visitors are also planning to leave the country as well.

True, but what if they soon say arrive 5 hours before?

Or 7 hours?

I just wonder at what point will they also understand that something is not right.

True, but what if they soon say arrive 5 hours before?

Or 7 hours?

I just wonder at what point will they also understand that something is not right.

Probably at the point when passengers who arrive the stipulated three hours before the flight departure are not making it through to their gate on time. All the while it is people arriving late who are having a problem, i don't suppose much will be done.

I flew out of BKK December 15th 8.30am flight. Got there two hours + before, had a slight delay at check in and was in queue around 7.10am. West track, good 50m outside then the snaking queue inside even with just over half desks manned.

Got frustrated when others on my flight were taken to front of queue - when I highlighted I was on same flight I was ignored - and then ended up running to my flight. Others for other flights had to do likewise, looked to be for earlier departures than mine. Although got to gate when most had boarded I probably had another 15 mins before they'd have closed.

I read an earlier post of planned 4pm taxi for 6pm flight and I think therein lies the main problem...

If we are told to get there 3 hours early that's what we should aim for - me included. If we only get there 2 hours early we should be prepared to miss our flights. That said, if there was consistency around true gate closure times we'd also kniw whether we really need to politely ask to go to the front of the queue or indeed whether we really need to run to the gate ;-)

Chinese New Year approaches in the first week of Feb --- sounds like there could be some mega Q's when you throw in half of East and SE Asia heading for Thailand for a few days!

We couldn't get our 'regular' SQ cattle class tickets for CNY w/end - sold out - so I went mad and booked TG biz class. Despite the expense, sounds like it might be a good thing - assuming they still have their own immigration departure booths?!

Swampydoom - I don't think it is a 'bad' airport per se, I just don't think it is anything like as good / efficient as it should be for a relatively modern facility...

In the 15 seconds you spent analysing this situation, did you consider that by not removing the bags of latecomers, and by delaying planes for their benefit, you encourage this behaviour and in the long term, create greater delay. People have to know that there is a cut off time and if you go beyond it, it's tough tittie - otherwise everyone starts to ignore and abuse the rules.

He should maybe have taken 20 seconds to analyse the situation and he might have thought that it would be a great way to get a bomb on board and not have to get yourself killed too.

Which is the reason why airlines have been doing it for the last 36 years that I've been flying.

He should maybe have taken 20 seconds to analyse the situation and he might have thought that it would be a great way to get a bomb on board and not have to get yourself killed too.

Which is the reason why airlines have been doing it for the last 36 years that I've been flying.

In fairness i don't think he was arguing that bags of latecomers should be left on planes that then take off without their owners on board, i think he was arguing that the time it takes to find somebody's bag in the hold and get it out is probably longer than it would take to simply hold the plane and wait for the late passenger. As i said, my problem with that is that once people start to become aware that arriving late is ok because they hold the plane for you, everybody will be arriving late.

Probably at the point when passengers who arrive the stipulated three hours before the flight departure are not making it through to their gate on time. All the while it is people arriving late who are having a problem, i don't suppose much will be done.

Im afraid you are 100% correct.

They will never see it or anticipate the problem themself, before it is too late.

But one thing is for sure, had I arrived at the airport 3 hrs prior to departure on Sunday the 2nd of January (early afternoon), I would have lost my flight.

i have never missed a flight, and never arrived at the airport later than 3 hours before check in, I hate tardiness. But as some have said even with checking in 3 hours before, or at least being there three hours before, you can still risk missing your flight. I have queued at check in for one hour before, this leaves 2 hours to get through immigration, well less when you have to be at gate 15 minutes before departure, add in a 10 minute walk the gate, this leave one hour 35 minutes for immigration and search.

the solution, if really desperate (this is tongue in cheek but having seen my mother, who needs a wheelchair, get whisked through immigration is worth it if desperate) is to tell them you need a wheelchair when you check in, you are then wheeled past any queues with your family and straight through to the gate.

the solution, if really desperate (this is tongue in cheek but having seen my mother, who needs a wheelchair, get whisked through immigration is worth it if desperate) is to tell them you need a wheelchair when you check in, you are then wheeled past any queues with your family and straight through to the gate.

Or what I saw once at LAX, as usual I was in a long line when I noticed a young woman holding a baby, the baby started screaming and the woman was ushered to the front of the line, if I hadn't have known better I'm sure I saw the woman pinching the babys leg.

Then the infomation desk doesn't know how I get back out of the airport

Fairly easy really.

1 - Get your cigs from duty free.

2 - Get a litre of Black Label.

3 - Pass back through immigration to get your next 30 day transit visa.

4 - Get a taxi :D

Breezed through myself at 6.50 am this morning,the good folk on the desk even ushered me to the Thai only passport booth where the guy was most happy to take care of things.

That's lucky for you then. Saturday evening it took 1 hour 45 minutes. The queue was several hundred meters outside the glassed area in both sones. I guess it's more busy in the evening with many big planes leaving within a few hours. As usual only about half the boots were staffed.