Not Happy

andrew55

Some of you really don't spend the 15 seconds needed to anaylze the situation.

So according to you ground staff remove all the bags from the hold & remove the bags of the no shows? I wonder how long that takes.

In the 15 seconds you spent analysing this situation, did you consider that by not removing the bags of latecomers, and by delaying planes for their benefit, you encourage this behaviour and in the long term, create greater delay. People have to know that there is a cut off time and if you go beyond it, it's tough tittie - otherwise everyone starts to ignore and abuse the rules.

BS. If people are turing up 3 hours before the flight, being ISSUED BOARDING PASSES - then they miss their flight due to insufficient immigration police on duty - then the airlines should scream at who to pull their fingers out?

I will leave you Inspector Clouseau's to work that one out.

I can remember a few times hearing on the PA system "Will the last remaining passengers traveling on JAL 917 to Tokyo please make themselves known to airport staff." Some airport staff even have walkie talkies so they could inform the gate. Hi tech stuff man.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you really don't spend the 15 seconds needed to anaylze the situation.

So according to you ground staff remove all the bags from the hold & remove the bags of the no shows? I wonder how long that takes.

In the 15 seconds you spent analysing this situation, did you consider that by not removing the bags of latecomers, and by delaying planes for their benefit, you encourage this behaviour and in the long term, create greater delay. People have to know that there is a cut off time and if you go beyond it, it's tough tittie - otherwise everyone starts to ignore and abuse the rules.

BS. If people are turing up 3 hours before the flight, being ISSUED BOARDING PASSES - then they miss their flight due to insufficient immigration police on duty - then the airlines should scream at who to pull their fingers out?

I will leave you Inspector Clouseau's to work that one out.

I can remember a few times hearing on the PA system "Will the last remaining passengers traveling on JAL 917 to Tokyo please make themselves known to airport staff." Some airport staff even have walkie talkies so they could inform the gate. Hi tech stuff man.

I was referring to those passengers who check in after the three hour deadline. Thought that was clear by my use of the term "latecomer".

I was referring to those passengers who check in after the three hour deadline. Thought that was clear by my use of the term "latecomer".

Anyway it's a stupid idea. When exactly should this so called three hour deadline start running then? Saturday there was a half hour queue to check in at Thai too. If you then arrive three hour before time as I did, it is only 2 and a half hour left when you reach the check-in counter. The only sensible thing to do is to get the immigration police sorted out so that we don't have to wait for 1 hour and 45 minutes to go through passport control. How on earth can that ever be acceptable on a modern airport?

Anyway it's a stupid idea. When exactly should this so called three hour deadline start running then?

Stupid idea? Stupid question more like. Three hours before flight departure. And it's not "so called", it's a well known standard recommendation that the airlines give.

Saturday there was a half hour queue to check in at Thai too. If you then arrive three hour before time as I did, it is only 2 and a half hour left when you reach the check-in counter.

The only sensible thing to do is to get the immigration police sorted out so that we don't have to wait for 1 hour and 45 minutes to go through passport control. How on earth can that ever be acceptable on a modern airport?

I agree, something should be done about it, but providing passengers who get to the airport on time are boarding their plane on time, and it's only passengers who arrive late who are having a problem, i don't think it's such a big deal. At the end of the day, whether you fly through passport control in 5 minutes, or are there an hour and 45, your plane isn't going to leave any earlier. All that has happened is you have been deprived of some duty-free shopping time. Speaking of which, i imagine King Power must be suffering from all this. Perhaps they should be put in charge of passport control!? biggrin.gif

I have been at the airport ~ 6 times over the past 6 weeks, and have checked out both Immigration (departure) Halls. I am usually there ~ 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM weekdays, and invariably the "west hall" (to the right in the linked pictures, opposite doors 8 - 10, check-in counters R/S-T/U-W) has a line backed out of the hall into the check-in counter area. One day that line almost reached the outer doors, so a 1:45 wait seems possible.

The "east" hall seems less crowded but the lines are still ~ 20 deep at each station (foreign and Thai).

When I actually depart, the last time was 30 Dec. ~ 05:00, the lines in the east hall were ~ 15 deep, but not sure of the wait as I used one of my accrued "Fast-Pass" cards to go through the VIP section, which took ~ 2 minutes as there was no one at either security or Immigration. (The Immigration officer collects the Fast-Pass card but does not seem to care that it was issued (and stamped) by SQ ages ago.)

There were some articles over the last 2 years which mentioned a shortage of Immigration officials, and/or an unwillingness for them to work at SBIA, perhaps owing to the onerous work-load. It seems like arrivals are flat or down, and that most booths are staffed at peak times, so not sure what is going on? Perhaps they have new procedures, or a balky computer system, or even what we might call a "work-to-rule" action forcing the RTP Generals to hire more officers. Average processing time seems like it is up based on my totally random observations (arrival Immigration), and mobile phone usage (texting and calling) by on-duty officers seems to be allowed.

I have been at the airport ~ 6 times over the past 6 weeks, and have checked out both Immigration (departure) Halls. I am usually there ~ 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM weekdays, and invariably the "west hall" (to the right in the linked pictures, opposite doors 8 - 10, check-in counters R/S-T/U-W) has a line backed out of the hall into the check-in counter area. One day that line almost reached the outer doors, so a 1:45 wait seems possible.

The "east" hall seems less crowded but the lines are still ~ 20 deep at each station (foreign and Thai).

When I actually depart, the last time was 30 Dec. ~ 05:00, the lines in the east hall were ~ 15 deep, but not sure of the wait as I used one of my accrued "Fast-Pass" cards to go through the VIP section, which took ~ 2 minutes as there was no one at either security or Immigration. (The Immigration officer collects the Fast-Pass card but does not seem to care that it was issued (and stamped) by SQ ages ago.)

There were some articles over the last 2 years which mentioned a shortage of Immigration officials, and/or an unwillingness for them to work at SBIA, perhaps owing to the onerous work-load. It seems like arrivals are flat or down, and that most booths are staffed at peak times, so not sure what is going on? Perhaps they have new procedures, or a balky computer system, or even what we might call a "work-to-rule" action forcing the RTP Generals to hire more officers. Average processing time seems like it is up based on my totally random observations (arrival Immigration), and mobile phone usage (texting and calling) by on-duty officers seems to be allowed.

Maybe calling their taxi tout friends that are waiting in arrivals to let them know which passengers are first timers in Thailand and likely to be scammed.

Who ya gotta sleep with to 'accrue' one of these "Fast-Pass" cards? Got a spare one lying about for a case of beer?? Mate,,.

thumbsup.gif

Who ya gotta sleep with to 'accrue' one of these "Fast-Pass" cards? Got a spare one lying about for a case of beer?? Mate,,.

thumbsup.gif

Some airlines distribute these passes to their business and first class passengers at check-in if departing SBIA, and on the aircraft if arriving SBIA. In my case I got these on SQ, and chose not to use them at the times as the lines were very short, thinking it might be better to save them for a future need. I also was able to get more than one from an SQ cabin attendant on one occasion so have ~ 4 left.

I have to fly out again in 5 days, does anyone know if there are long queues at 4 am?

In my experience, the queues have always been short at that hour. I've always gotten through in 15 minutes or less. But for departing flights later in the day, I've used Fast Track , which costs 1,600 baht but gets you past the Immigration formalities in about two minutes. My company pays when it's a business flight, but even when I have to pay it myself, it's worth it to avoid the agro of huge queues and possible missing a flight.

I have to fly out again in 5 days, does anyone know if there are long queues at 4 am?

In my experience, the queues have always been short at that hour. I've always gotten through in 15 minutes or less. But for departing flights later in the day, I've used Fast Track , which costs 1,600 baht but gets you past the Immigration formalities in about two minutes. My company pays when it's a business flight, but even when I have to pay it myself, it's worth it to avoid the agro of huge queues and possible missing a flight.

For 1,600 baht, I can be very patient. It is one of the joys of being retired ... and I always have a book with me so I can catch up on my reading. biggrin.gif

David

the story has actually hit the Thai news tonight.

now whether or not it will force the authorities to act, who knows ? loss of face and all that. very much doubt it unless the airlines start getting involved and kick up a bit of a stink about the situation.

Edited by tigerfish

.... unless the airlines start getting involved and kick up a bit of a stink about the situation.

Why shouldn't they? This must be causing lots of problems for them with passengers not getting through on time and delayed planes.

Left last Saturday around 4pm, worst lines I've ever seen at departure. The first passport control line I came to was stretched outside the glass door area into checkin. Took the long walk to the other passport control where the line was just inside the glass door area. I waited in this line 45 minutes to get my exit stamp. Not as bad as others have reported but still not acceptable, especially when immigration had their "24 minute service" sticker pasted all over the exit immigration area! I counted 9 desks available for foreign passport processing. of these, 3 were unmanned, 5 had one officer, and only 1 had 2 officers. The security check after immigration was almost deserted, so the bottleneck is clearly the lack of manpower at exit immigration.

Here you go! 24.01.11 @ 7:30

post-45815-0-09025400-1296347516_thumb.j

For 1,600 baht, I can be very patient. It is one of the joys of being retired ... and I always have a book with me so I can catch up on my reading. biggrin.gif

David

Considering the hell I went through last Sunday [see my related thread] a service like this could be just the ticket, especially for departures where there is the possibility of missing one's flight. [Does anyone know what the liabilities are if one has check-in on time and recieved their boarding pass but misses the flight due to immigration backup?] Espeically on long-haul flights, the added cost of this service is de-minimus...and great stress reducer. In addition, not having to wait in a possibly long line on arrival after a long flight back to Thailand could make the return service worthwhile as well.

In addition, does anyone know what business lounge they offer for those who purchase their premium service?

David

Considering the hell I went through last Sunday [see my related thread] a service like this could be just the ticket, especially for departures where there is the possibility of missing one's flight. [Does anyone know what the liabilities are if one has check-in on time and received their boarding pass but misses the flight due to immigration backup?] Especially on long-haul flights, the added cost of this service is de-minimus...and would be a great stress reducer. In addition, not having to wait in a possibly long line on arrival after a long flight back to Thailand could make the return service worthwhile as well.

They use the Louis Lounge for those who purchase their premium service...is this business lounge any good? Anyone use it at Swampy before?

Edited by FarangBuddha

Had my own personal immigration exit hell story last Friday. I arrived 3 hours early, having read the horror stories here, so I arrived at 11:15 for a 14:15 flight. I asked twice, both at check-in counter and also at airport information if the delays were bad today, they both ASSURED ME that it would be 15-20 minutes at the most, as many people had complained.

Well, that was a relief! Time for some lunch. Still, there was a niggling feeling at the back of my mind that I should check for myself at the immigration area, just in case. Man, good thing I did, as the line was HUGE, on both halls. I lined up immediately. Outside it moved fast, but inside the hall, it was an utter nightmare, compounded by the idiotic system of having one queue per officer instead of one big queue that feeds people to each officer as they become free and queue jumpers everywhere, so you can't even just relax and read a book while the queue advances, if you ever want to get served. I was stuck behind some really smelly tourists. Some little girl sneezed on me, and her parents didn't even say sorry or anything. Not all booths had officers, mine only had one. In the middle, some officers just left, leaving the people who had just waited for an hour high and dry. Some other officer came and yelled at them that they should just join another line. THE NERVE! It took an hour just to get stamped out. Totally ridiculous and a horrible experience. I complained to airport staff airside, they said they can't do anything as officers aren't under airport authority. Great, thanks a lot.

I once waited 2 hours to get stamped in at Narita, which was long and boring, but still way better than this in that there was an orderly line, so you just read a book and waited your turn. Here's it's just an epic third world free for all, a total nightmare, compounded by total incompetence and rudeness on the part of the Thai staff. Plus, what's up with those two airport staff people lying and assuring me there was only a short wait? One of them was from the airline I was flying, if I had listened to her and gone through 20 minutes before boarding, I would have missed my flight for sure.

Not impressed.

Edited by canadiangirl

Had my own personal immigration exit hell story last Friday. I arrived 3 hours early, having read the horror stories here, so I arrived at 11:15 for a 14:15 flight.

That's was the same day and the same time as my report and related photos on another post in this forum. Absolutely the worst I have ever experienced at Swampy or any other airport. However, at least in the area I was in, they did have a single line of passengers being fed to the immigration counters in 2-3s when they became available.

As a general rule, I never waste any time relaxing, eating, or shopping until I am passed passport control. Once past is the only time I relax and have a feed or a rest.

Edited by FarangBuddha

• 2 weeks later...
Not as bad as others have reported but still not acceptable, especially when immigration had their "24 minute service" sticker pasted all over the exit immigration area! I counted 9 desks available for foreign passport processing. of these, 3 were unmanned, 5 had one officer, and only 1 had 2 officers.

I think what you mean was "Out of 18 desks, only 7 were manned".

Plus they still insist on taking your frigging photograph on the way out, what a waste of fuc_king time that is.

I caught a flight on the 27th at 9.10 pm of last month and as advised by the Airline turned up two hours before he flight, the were long lines of people but every counter was open and when Thai immigration wasn't busy they diverted none Thai travellers to these desks.

The staff were organising the departure cues and I got through in twenty minutes.

Maybe they have had a kick up the backside but for the amount of people waiting it was very organised.

Maybe I was lucky but have never had any trouble with departure waiting times and if there was a problem I hope they have pulled their finger out.

Sorry, I cannot quite follow several posters' logic:

Coming to the airport 4 hours in advance regardless if it is international or domestic flight is a ridiculous requirement. Check-in desks aren't even open that long before.

Usually they open 2 hours before, sometimes (rare) 3 hours.

3 hours for economy on intercontinental flights is for people who want to have a nearly 100% guarantee not to miss the flight.

But imagine a one hour domestic flight?

Defeats the whole benefit of taking the supposedly fast travel by airplane!

Driving a car is faster (and cheaper!).

Then, the check-in desks have a "latest check-in time".

The difference between check-in and boarding time is assumed to be enough to clear passport control and security shake-down.

If passengers cannot make it from check-in to the gate within that time (usually 30 minutes), there is something wrong.

Not with the passengers - with the service of the airport.

I advise anyone checking in later than 60 mins from boarding time to ask the check-in desk for a "panic number" to call if you get stuck in lines or to directly request to be escorted through the hordes of people who got there 4 hours early and who subsequently still have plenty of time to spare standing and waiting in lines.

Edited by manarak

But imagine a one hour domestic flight?

Defeats the whole benefit of taking the supposedly fast travel by airplane!

Driving a car is faster (and cheaper!).

But as this thread is about the hold ups in the passport control area domestic flights don't really come into the equation.

Coming to the airport 4 hours in advance regardless if it is international or domestic flight is a ridiculous requirement. Check-in desks aren't even open that long before.

Nonsense !

In my experience all international flight check in desks open at least 3 hours before departure. I have checked in with EVA, at Heathrow, 4 hours before.

3 hours is the guidance for international flights, why are some people so stupid to think that they can roll up an hour before ? They get what they deserve.

That is not to say that Thai immigration is efficient - which it isn't !

Just in case it was me being a <deleted> (and not some of the posters on this thread) I thought I would check an independent travel site:-

Q. How long before my flight am I recommended to check in? A.Flights under 4 hours

You are recommended to check in at least

TWO HOURS prior to departure except when

travelling to or from Israel when the

minimum is three hours.

Flights over 4 hours

THREE HOURS prior to departure

It is NOT rocket-science !

Nonsense !

In my experience all international flight check in desks open at least 3 hours before departure. I have checked in with EVA, at Heathrow, 4 hours before.

3 hours is the guidance for international flights, why are some people so stupid to think that they can roll up an hour before ? They get what they deserve.

That is not to say that Thai immigration is efficient - which it isn't !

I have no doubts of the horror stories related here. In fact, I did not even know that "the standard" is 3 hours...I always thought it was 2 hours.

I have never checked-in more than 2 hours before flight departure (due to my ignorance as mentioned) but fortunately, have never ever missed a flight. I am sure there are many in similar state of ignorance who just roll up and catch their flight with no hassles. No matter how busy, in my experience, immigration (admittedly said experience was outside Thailand) has always prioritised those who need to get through...after all the airlines DID check me in, so it is incumbent on them to clear me or else deal with it e.g. offload my luggage. The alternative is DON'T CHECK ME IN if I am considered too late to catch the flight. The latest I have checked in was 45mins before departure and I still cleared a very busy immigration to be in time to catch the plane!

My last flight from KL, which ticket came with advise to "check-in early" due to maintenance works. As far as I am concerned, 2 hours is early enough. I do not expect sympathy if I do miss my flight but I do wish people don't just accept that in this day and age, travel times are actually INCREASING due to inefficiencies in the system. 2 hours is enough I say! :jap:

I have never checked-in more than 2 hours before flight departure (due to my ignorance as mentioned) but fortunately, have never ever missed a flight. I am sure there are many in similar state of ignorance who just roll up and catch their flight with no hassles. No matter how busy, in my experience, immigration (admittedly said experience was outside Thailand) has always prioritised those who need to get through...after all the airlines DID check me in, so it is incumbent on them to clear me or else deal with it e.g. offload my luggage. The alternative is DON'T CHECK ME IN if I am considered too late to catch the flight. The latest I have checked in was 45mins before departure and I still cleared a very busy immigration to be in time to catch the plane!

My last flight from KL, which ticket came with advise to "check-in early" due to maintenance works. As far as I am concerned, 2 hours is early enough. I do not expect sympathy if I do miss my flight but I do wish people don't just accept that in this day and age, travel times are actually INCREASING due to inefficiencies in the system. 2 hours is enough I say! :jap:

I agree that 2 hours SHOULD be adequate. I think we all understand that Thailand is not efficient but I also understand the views against prioritisation (mainly from those who have checked in in good time).

Threads like this are useful in confirming that the advice says 3 hours, If anyone chooses to cut it finer then it is up to them - but be prepared for the possible consequences.

Slightly irrelevant but the missus used to come to the airport with me and I would check in, then go for a meal. I can no longer risk doing that, so it is check-in and straight to immigration to watch the Russians try and queue jump.

3 hours is the guidance for international flights

followed by:

Just in case it was me being a <deleted> (and not some of the posters on this thread) I thought I would check an independent travel site:-

Flights under 4 hours

TWO HOURS prior to departure

etc.

Congratulations on so quickly contradicting yourself.

I'll leave it for others to decide whether you've fulfilled qualifications for being a <deleted>.

It is horrifying to read all these stories of extreme delays in the simple procedure of checking people out of the Kingdom, through an airport less than 5 years old. You'd think it would be a lot quicker now than in the days before computers, when everything was done by hand.

But never mind, everything will soon be fixed. How do I know this? Read this:

http://www.thaivisa....-best-airports/

In no time Suvarnaphumi is going to become a top-class super-efficient airport where emigration procedures will take but a few seconds!

Some sceptical people might retort that, like all campaigns initiated by the Thai authorities, nothing will actually change. They will put far more energy into appearances (presentations, seminars, buttering up travel writers, advertising), high-level gloss (lots of pretty decorations at each campaign event), and paint than actually doing anything meaningful to actually fix problems! Some people can be SO negative!

followed by:

Flights under 4 hours

etc.

I'll leave it for others to decide whether you've fulfilled qualifications for being a <deleted>.

It is muppets like you miss flights !

How many real international flights are there of under 4 hours ?

Whilst it will be difficult for you to comprehend, it is also not rocket-science that anyone with a non-domestic flight of under 4 hours will also be clogging up those immigration queues. Congratulations - <deleted> of the day award :lol:.

followed by:

Flights under 4 hours

etc.

It is muppets like you miss flights !

How many real international flights are there of under 4 hours ?

Whilst it will be difficult for you to comprehend, it is also not rocket-science that anyone with a non-domestic flight of under 4 hours will also be clogging up those immigration queues. Congratulations - <deleted> of the day award :lol:.

hmmm let me see. 4 hour internationals from Swampy

Bangkok - Singapore

Bangkok - Yangon

Bangkok - KL

Bangkok - Manila

Bangkok - HCMC

Bangkok- Clarke

Bangkok - Siem Reap

Bangkok- Kota Kinabalu

Bangkok - Brunei

Bangkok - Macau

Bangkok - Hong Kong