Cottage Cheese Anywhere?

timmyp

Does anyone know where I can get cottage cheese in Bangkok? I checked the Villa Market, Tops, etc. Did I miss something? There sure are a wide selection of global dairy products, sure seems like someone is likely selling cottage cheeses somewhere...small or large curd, I don't discriminate. Please let me know where they're hiding it!

Many thanks--

Tim

check the deli section of your mentioned markets...in the middle east there was no cottage cheese in the dairy section but to be found in bulk in a tub in the cheese area of the deli section...

I found some small tubs in the dairy section of either Foodland or Villa in BKK some years ago, can't remember which...poor selection and quality...

I love cottage cheese and have despaired of it's scarcity in these parts...:(

Buy 1-ltr whole milk, bring it to a boil over med-low heat. Add about 1/4-cup lemon juice or vinegar and stir.

Remove from heat. Watch the curds rise to the top over the next 2-minutes or so. Strain curds through a cheesecloth; rinse with clean water to get rid of any remaining acid/whey (just pour water over the top). Allow to drain a bit. Put in a container and chill.

You now have cottage cheese.

Edited by NanaFoods

A member posted before mentioning he saw them in BigC. I'm indebted to him now as I now have one of the few items I miss. Just bought some today in Chiang Mai. I've never noticed them before as I'm used to large and extra large tubs and had to look a bit to see the little cups. :D

A member posted before mentioning he saw them in BigC. I'm indebted to him now as I now have one of the few items I miss. Just bought some today in Chiang Mai. I've never noticed them before as I'm used to large and extra large tubs and had to look a bit to see the little cups. :D

Cottage cheese you can find at every BigC r Tesco Lotus. In the cooling bar. It's look same yogurt with a white and yellow cup.

Many thanks for the input. I stumbled across a teeny tiny cup of cottage cheese at a small Tops outside Victory Monument BTS station that didn't really stock foreign food. It was pretty bad cottage cheese with added cream. Looking to buy far larger quantities, they just had a single lonely cup. THEN I stumbled across this beautiful website, Homemade Cheese Co.

http://www.homemade-cheese.com/

Sorry if you're all already hip to its existence. I'll see what they've got tomorrow and report back.

Buy 1-ltr whole milk, bring it to a boil over med-low heat. Add about 1/4-cup lemon juice or vinegar and stir.

Remove from heat. Watch the curds rise to the top over the next 2-minutes or so. Strain curds through a cheesecloth; rinse with clean water to get rid of any remaining acid/whey (just pour water over the top). Allow to drain a bit. Put in a container and chill.

Great post and thanks because some of us do not live near any of the stores people are mentioning here and need to make it.

I would add, if you need buttermilk for, say, bisquits, you take one cup of whole milk and slowly add it to one tablespoon of vinegar and let it sit for five minutes.......then you have buttermilk.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to say that I ordered cottage cheese from the Homemade Cheese Company.

It's incredibly bland, but it's satisfies my need for a cottage cheese fix. I'm happy to continue ordering for them. I paid 260 B for a 500 g container (250 g for 130B). Delivery is 80 B.

The Homemade Cheese Company has a nice list of dairy products.

I also stopped by Villa Market, and they had two different brands of cottage cheese, including a 500 g container of low fat. Maybe they were sold out last time I went?

I've used this method a number of times and the result is OK if used later in a dish with other ingredients, like crumbled in a salad where the cheese receives the benefit of the dressing or in a lasagne so the cheese can pick up on the flavor from the sauce...it's pretty tasteless on its own...

ain't nothin' like sitting quietly with an unopened quart tub of Knudsen's full fat small curd cottage cheese...in anticipation of ripping off the lid and devouring the lot, later with house mates struggling to prevent a cottage cheese overdose: 'that's enough tuts...yew remember the last time yew started...'

better than sex...

I've used this method a number of times and the result is OK if used later in a dish with other ingredients, like crumbled in a salad where the cheese receives the benefit of the dressing or in a lasagne so the cheese can pick up on the flavor from the sauce...it's pretty tasteless on its own...

ain't nothin' like sitting quietly with an unopened quart tub of Knudsen's full fat small curd cottage cheese...in anticipation of ripping off the lid and devouring the lot, later with house mates struggling to prevent a cottage cheese overdose: 'that's enough tuts...yew remember the last time yew started...'

better than sex...

Perhaps for those who are partial to eating it by itself. I don't eat the stuff this way, but it sounds like this "full-fat cottage cheese" may be a bit of an un-authentic upscale version of the original. Cottage cheese originally was made from the leftover milk after the butter (fat) was churned out of it. So not sure what they mean by "full-fat". If rennet or a piece of baby sheep stomach was available, that would be preferable to use over the acid method, but not all homes had that at their disposal.

One thing about making your own, that I forgot to mention, one should not squeeze any remaining whey out of the cheese while in the cheesecloth, else you will end up with queso blanco, paneer, or similar. I usually only use the stuff when making lasagna (or ravioli, cannelloni, etc), as ricotta is not available in my area, and it seems to work just fine. For me, it does add the necessary flavor to make it taste much more like "lasagna" instead of "baked pasta".

Great post and thanks because some of us do not live near any of the stores people are mentioning here and need to make it.

I would add, if you need buttermilk for, say, bisquits, you take one cup of whole milk and slowly add it to one tablespoon of vinegar and let it sit for five minutes.......then you have buttermilk.

Glad you find the info useful. Not the most perfect way, but it works in a pinch, especially for cooking.

Regarding buttermilk, I have not had a need to do it that way, but it sounds like it may not have that unique flavor of real buttermilk. Actually, I had an Indian friend who made yogurt in a similar manor using lemon juice and milk.

I would suggest obtaining a live buttermilk culture, as I did here in Thailand at some organic market in BKK... unfortunately I can't remember the name. But I have kept the same culture alive for 7-yrs now and going strong. As long as you have a live culture, you can add whole milk to it as you use it, and it will "regenerate", so to speak. When mine gets down to about a third remaining in the container, I top it off with some whole milk and wait a few weeks (left out for a few hours at first, then in the fridge), at which time I can use it again. Perfect for ranch dressing, buttermilk biscuits, pancakes, blueberry coffeecake, etc., etc.

• 4 months later...

I don't mean to unnecessarily resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to add that the Marko supermarket over in Dusit has some big 1.5 kilo tubs of cottage cheese for 450 baht. It's standard, straight-ahead cottage cheese (i.e., not low-fat), industrial sized from Germany.

I don't mean to unnecessarily resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to add that the Marko supermarket over in Dusit has some big 1.5 kilo tubs of cottage cheese for 450 baht. It's standard, straight-ahead cottage cheese (i.e., not low-fat), industrial sized from Germany.

I gots to get me summa dat!...

a cottage cheese orgy just like a vampire blood fest...good idea fer a movie :)

however, one must investigate: small curd? large curd?...suitable for cottage cheese tacos with home made tortillas and salsa? or to be lashed on to yer favorite lasagne recipe instead of ricotta?

a 1.5 liter tub opens up a world of possibilities...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

"My Choice" by Tops have now their own freshly made cheese and they have their own cottage cheese too.

I bought it in Central Food Hall Chidlom and it was very good, fresh and 100% natural.

Cottage is a fresh cheese it must be eaten in a week, if it is imported it means it is not natural hence not a real cottage. i prefer locally made any time except the formost and sunrise dairy withe cream.

But i My-Choice or Tops have their own fresh cheese its great.

They also have Feta and Quark cheese.

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, medvedev1088 said:

Does anyone know where to buy cottage cheese in Bangkok? I used to buy Bulla low-fat in Villa Market / BigC / Tops / Foodland, but it seems now it's not imported anymore. Can't find any other brand except Thai cottage cheese mixed with cream 30%. cc @tutsiwarrior @rotchi @powderpuff

I haven't been able to find any packaged cottage cheese in Thailand, Knudsen's full fat small curd useta be a favorite in California, make cottage cheese tacos with fresh corn tortillas and a dollop of La Victoria salsa Ranchera...

the the middle east where I was working it was hit and miss, lots more western food products out there...sometimes you could find it in bulk at the supermarket deli counter and usually quite good, sometimes could find Knudsen's in the dairy cabinet with the packaged yogurt, make cottage cheese tacos with fresh arabic bread, quite nice...westerners go crazy for the stuff...try looking at the deli counter at villa and foodland, usually in big gallon tubs...