Real Estate Agents

scottie

Moving to CM mid Oct. Have been doing some research on housing.

Having read some previous threads on here, I appreciate that cutting out the agent will save costs.

But surely as a tenant you'll have more back up regarding any problems if you use an agent?

Don't want any of the "horror stories" that some of you seem to have had! :o

Have seen some nice looking property to rent, obviously once there need to check out the area.... has to be good access to North.... Canal rd, Green Valley, Mae Rim, Mae Jo? Something like that.

Now if I see a house at 20,000bt a month, would it be possible to negotiate to say 200,000bt a year pay up front? That sort of thing.

Any of your experiences rec'd with thanks.

Scottie

Negotiation is always possible, but paying upfront can be problematic in case difficulties occurr.

My personal experience with agents is that they are happy to take your money, but providing any service beyond finding your property is generally out of their brief. You get lots of smiles and shrugs before the door is closed in your face.

While Thailand seems to be in its infancy regarding real estate agents representing buyers or renters, the general rule is they represent the seller or landlord and he pays the commisssion. Thus there certainly is not fiduciary duty to your the renter, even if that concept is alive in Thailand.

Likewise, representing landlords only, agents will show only houses they have "listed" and I doubt they would in most cases "take the extra step" and find you a house or condo for rent that is listed by another agent.

I see some changes in the works and a very aggressive young agent may well "work for you" by contacting an agent that has a house listed for rent and try to share in the listing commission. I think it will happen in the future and on occasion may occur now but as to a data-base of listed houses for rent available to real estate agents ie "multiple listing services" no way.

I negotiated a 20% reduction is rent asked upon meeting the landlord through an agent. While I payed a two month security deposit, I made sure I didn't pay the last months rent and allowed my security deposit to thereby be "reduced" to a manageable amount, as it certainly wasn't forthcoming due to fraudulent "extra" charges dreamed up by the landlord.

You might consider your entire lease term rent, including deposits, as "gone" at the end of the lease term and not get into the "return deposit" problem.

Caveat: I don't have a renters or landlord "mentaality" and don't enjoy the "game" so you may find others with a far more positive view. Yes, there are good landlords out there, but I can you tell if you have a good one until the end of the lease term when it is too late?

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I found a nice house for rent through an agent. Will be moving in October.

If you have a car and lots of time and speak decent Thai, scouting and asking friends is probably the best way to go. That way you might find properties that no one else can find. But it definitely takes lots of time.

If you need results fast, why not use an agent? The agent will charge the landlord, not the tenant. However, properties listed through an agent are sometimes more expensive.

In fact, I have seen properties of approx. 2.5 mil market value where the landlord asked 20,000 THB rent. This would come up to an outrageous 10% ROI per year. It seems this sort of thing is not uncommon in Chiang Mai.

I wonder who rents them.

Cheers, X-Pat

Edited by x-pat

When I was moving in I contacted a couple of agents and they had some nice properties, but usually expensive. What worked for me was taking something temporary for a month and then my Thai assistant asking around and keeping her eyes open. Right in the area you are talking about (Mae Rim with good access to canal Rd, Mae Jo, etc.) she found for me a nice 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse in a nice Thai neighborhood for Baht 1,000 a month (yes, only 3 0s there). Then by word of mouth we found a nice small house with a bit of garden nearby for same price and we were not even looking. Of course you can spend more and get something bigger with more property, but in the area you are talking about you can find some real bargains especially if you do not need to be in an enclosed development.

You might consider immediately putting an ad in the various papers and online sites to try to hire someone as a part time assistant and they can look for you and do other things locally that you might want done before you even get to town. Maybe someone else here can suggest some of the best current places to run classifieds for this sort of thing.

The best bargains will not be known by rental agents and certainly not handled by them and most likely will not be advertised even in free clasifieds (though sometimes when someone is moving out of a good situation they might put in some quick free announcements (I did), so check all of the online ads). Agents however might be of some more help when looking to buy something as opposed to renting.

Email or PM me and when I get off the road and back home in a couple of days I can try to dig up the number of a gal who could maybe help or refer you to someone else if she is too busy (if the number I have for her is current).

Happy hunting! :o

Many Thanks.

I'll take on board what you've said. Won't offer payment upfront in case difficulties do occur, also bear in my mind losing my deposit.

Here in UK, my limited experience of renting (through agent), is you never meet the landlord if there's a problem with plumbing etc. The agent usually takes care of.

Also rarely can you negotiate rental fees.

As I've read on here before, best deals are to be found driving around, looking for signs or asking.

Having been looking online for 3 years at buying & renting (only as guideline), many properties just don't shift. Probably even more so with so many new developments going up all the time.

We will have time by the way, as we've built a small resort just after Maemalai, before Mog fa falls.

So can use a room there whilst we look around. Hopefully one of our Thai friends can do a bit of groundwork for us, re showing us different areas & asking for us.

Oh p1p, from a previous thread I remember you saying you have a dog (Pyrennean?).

Well we're bringing over our golden retriever. Did you get it's import license at BKK airport when it arrived? & how was it with the flight....ok I hope.

So good size garden also a priority for us.

Just leaves me to say folks, without all your help & guidance getting us as far as this. What is a big & difficult thing to do would have been considerably harder without your input.

Terrific, absolutely terrific. Maybe catch up with some of you when we move out there.

Scottie