Giant Snakehead

MSingh

I stalked this B*tch for an hour today, she was beautiful & HUGE too & definately bigge rthan the 15KG one's i've read about, the perfect Mum..;)

I think that they are common here in Thailand but am not sure, i've read up a little & they seem to suggest they are but 've never seen one before when Fishing or heard much about them..

I'm sure thoguh that where i saw this one i can't Fish the Lake/River unfortunately..

Any idea where i can Fish for these in Prachuab Kiri Kahn or maybe a little outside ??

post-55211-0-10218700-1295194991_thumb.j

Edited by MSingh

That photo of yours looks like a school of baby fry. The parents are usually hanging nearby and protect them.

I've caught a fair number of Giant snakeheads and they seem to require large reservoirs or they don't do well.. The common snakehead will occupy small lakes, ponds and murky streams. I've only seen the Giant snakeheads in large resevoirs. They can be exceedingly difficult to catch. They are a very wary fish and mostly stay close to cover where a bad cast will cause you to snag bushes. The tighter you can get your lure to the brush the better chance you have of hooking one. Very often we cast deep into the brush in tiny pockets only a meter across. Snakeheads most often require a very fast retrieve and it's impossible to take a lure away from a snakehead that wants it. We search for brushy points of land just inside the open areas of a large reservoir. Snakeheads will often follow your lure and then turn away when it sees the boat. We have our best luck during low light periods of the day, and a calm day is much better than a windy day. I can't recall ever hooking a Giant snakehead when it was windy. The lure retrieve is best when it is fast and smooth, and not like a popper like you would fish for bass in North America. Only a few times have I hooked a snakehead in the middle of the lake, and that was when they were rising for a breath of air. Snakeheads can actually breath out of water.

I've only caught medium or small snakeheads, but I seldom fish when they are spawning in August. That is usually when the real giants get caught.

fly_caught_snakehead_1_Em.sized.jpg

This is a common snakehead...

Common_snakehead.sized.jpg

this is a Giant snakehead. Notice the Bocca-grip for holding it. A snakehead has powerful jaws like a shark, and a big one can take your finger off with one bite.

Ian_with_Snakehead_1.sized.jpg

A Giant snakehead bit this Jungle perch in half with one bite.

Snakehead_bite_1_Em.sized.jpg

If you have any doubt why they call them "snakeheads" this is the reason...

Giant_Snakehead_3.sized.jpg

The REAL problem with finding Giant snakeheads is the local fishermen who live on the reservoirs. They use nets, set lines and electric shocking poles to kill everything that swims. There is no such thing as conservation.

I love the surface strike when a Giant snakehead takes the fly or lure... After you hook up it is a WAR to bring in before it heads back for the brush pile.

The_retrieve_2.jpg

The_strike_2.jpg

Giant snakeheads are the ultimate predator...

Snakehead_by_leaves_2.sized.jpg

That photo of yours looks like a school of baby fry. The parents are usually hanging nearby and protect them.

Shhhh, she's on the left of the School, just below the surface & you can see her..;)

Thanks for the tips Ian, i think i've found a couple of places to Fosh for them actually & your tips may have confired my thinking too..

So are we just talking Lures for them then ??

Hey there, nice pic...sure its not a shark circling! 55 There are a few spots near to you to go fishing for the brutes. Drop me a PM or e-mail and I will fill you in... :whistling:

BF she was big, real big..

& i notice that " Officially " the World Record seems to be 10 KG ?? :unsure:

She i'd say, was between 15kg - 20kg easy, she was big & i couldn't picture her when she surfaced but you can see her ggirth which is serious..

I'll PM you, thansk..

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome information and pictures! Thanks a lot for this one! Are they found mostly in rivers or lakes? Am in some days going to the north of Thailand and want to go fishing my way there in sweetwater. Will be first time in Thailand.

Hopefully fishes are attracted by european ways of fishing! Any tips are highly welcome!!! Preferably snakeheads / catfishes, etc.

C&R

Awesome information and pictures! Thanks a lot for this one! Are they found mostly in rivers or lakes? Am in some days going to the north of Thailand and want to go fishing my way there in sweetwater. Will be first time in Thailand.

Hopefully fishes are attracted by european ways of fishing! Any tips are highly welcome!!! Preferably snakeheads / catfishes, etc.

C&R

The one that i " stalk " is in a Lake..

I know they are in Dam's & i believe that's where you'll find the bigger one's..

I took this Picture today..;)

post-55211-0-84945400-1296907158_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I love chasing these beautiful creatures as it is sight fishing at its best and the reward for persistance and accuracy is a big parent giant snakehead. However it is crucial that these parents are released to tend to their young!

Here is one that I had chased all morning until it finally bit down hard on my bait.

post-74480-0-84432100-1300161453_thumb.j

Anyway tight lines!

Edited by Ozaemon

• 4 months later...

I too am a fan of fishing for both the giant and common snakehead around my area, with plenty of good sized specimens available. Heres a few pics of some catches. Beats fishing stocked ponds anyday in my opinion.

Would be great to fish like that too bad that almost all the waters here in BKK are fished clean by the locals.

Yes too bad that catch and release is not practiced by all anglers (not just Thais) on the reservoirs as I am sure it has an impact.

Where i come from its almost all catch and release. I have only taken fish home when i did sea fishing for cod.

Catch and release is always important, but especially so when fishing for Giant Snakeheads as these are often caught when they are defending their fry, who are left defenceless when anglers take these home for bragging rights. Apparently they don't even taste that good.

They are great sport however, but just take your pic and release quickly at the place of capture.