Anerican Curious Bout Cm

imdennisb

hi all.....American curious about life in chaing rai......

are there many american expats

cost of living

availabillity of housing

availability of commodities

was just there in july....now considering retiring there

I spent one yr in thailand during vietnam war

also was there for a month in july this yr

thx for any advice...Dennis

Yes.Plenty

cost of living

Cheap as anywhere in Thailand

availabillity of housing

Loads of choices,condos,houses,hotels...........from 1500 baht up per month

whatever you need........within reason Big C, Makro, fruit and veg market.

You could do worse.

welcome

I have been to CR and would consider CM better for many reasons (not least the recent flooding situation.) CM has SO MUCH more to offer IMHO I would be bored stiff in CR in a month again just my opinion

Welcome wherever you decide to settle, you wont regret coming NORTH

Cheers

TP

I have been to CR and would consider CM better for many reasons (not least the recent flooding situation.) CM has SO MUCH more to offer IMHO I would be bored stiff in CR in a month again just my opinion

Welcome wherever you decide  to settle, you wont regret coming NORTH

Cheers

TP

Thaipauly is absolutely right: You won't regret coming North!

If you are younger than 40 I would recommend Chiang Mai.

If you are older than 40 I would recommend Chiang Rai.

For a while I did some things for a famous Thai family in Sankampaeng. I enjoyed the intellectual climate of Chiang Mai very much. It is a real Thai town with warmhearthed cosmopolitan people. You can taste, feel and smell that you are in an exciting place.

And everytime when I drove into Chiang Rai after a work-session I felt like coming home to quitness, safety and a lovely boredness which felt as a warming blanket (don't worry, I have aircon at home).

Welcome to Chiang Rai :o

Limbo.

• 2 weeks later...
:o Chiangrai is what it is! Quiet, little traffic and less polluted. There are many freindly weterners here and most of the Chiangrai Thai are helpful, some are very helpful at trying to extract more baht out of you but where in Thailand is it any different? The weahter here is not as hot and if you don't mind rain for a couple of months this is the place to be. Come visit us all in Bandu on Sundays at Jozeph and shirleys #1 hamburger joint foods good, great customers and cold beer! :D Come up North you'll love it! :D

hi all.....American curious about life in chaing rai......

cost of living

availabillity of housing

I spent one yr in thailand during vietnam war

also was there for a month in july this yr

thx for any advice...Dennis

Hello Dennis,

There are expats from different parts of the world, who are residing (retired or married to a local) or who are running some businesses of their own. But are living in separate areas, though. Not in a community.

The cost of living is very affordable, as this city is more laid back, less touristy and still retains its rusticness as compared to Chiangmai.

If you prefer to rent a wooden village house, the rent should be around 2000 to 4000 baht per month.

Commodities are fresh vegetables, flowers, fruits and rice.

....... commercial part removed by Limbo, sorry, see the guidelines ......

Looking forward to hear from you.

Eric.

Dear Eric, there is fine line between giving information and direct advertising.

Please, don't cross it too often.

Limbo.

Edited by Limbo

:o Chiangrai is what it is! Quiet, little traffic and less polluted. There are many freindly weterners here and most of the Chiangrai Thai are helpful, some are very helpful at trying to extract more baht out of you but where in Thailand is it any different? The weahter here is not as hot and if you don't mind rain for a couple of months this is the place to be. Come visit us all in Bandu on Sundays at Jozeph and shirleys #1 hamburger joint foods good, great customers and cold beer!  :D  Come up North you'll love it!  :D

Hi Thomas,

Would be interested to patronise your place, but need more accurate directions. I am residing in Wiang Chai. Rgds.

Hi Thomas,

Would be interested to patronise your place, but need more accurate directions. I am residing in Wiang Chai. Rgds.

Sorry, I am not Thomas, but when you want to reach No.1 Hamburger, you find it on the way from CEI to Mae Sai. You only have to turn left in the first Soi behind Bandu Market. And after about 150 meters you see a big sign to your left.

There it is...

You can meet there people during the week anyway, but the biggest crowd is there at sundays, because then the fresh bread and so on arrived...

Hi Thomas,

Sorry, I am not Thomas, but when you want to reach No.1 Hamburger, you find it on the way from CEI to Mae Sai. You only have to turn left in the first Soi behind Bandu Market. And after about 150 meters you see a big sign to your left.

There it is...

You can meet there people during the week anyway, but the biggest crowd is there at sundays, because then the fresh bread and so on arrived...

Dr. Locker, sorry about the wrong name addressed. Thanks for the easy directions. Will see no problem getting to the place.

Regards.