Indonesian President Yudhoyono steps in tax corruption case

News_Editor

Indonesian President Yudhoyono steps in tax corruption case

2011-01-18 12:58:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono on Monday said he will be taking intervention in the tax corruption case of Gayus Tambunan, local media reported.

"The public has asked the President to be involved in resolving corruption cases," President Yudhoyono was quoted as saying by the Jakarta Post. "While I know [the Gayus] case belongs to the legal domain, I must respect these wishes. In order to eradicate corruption in this country, I [will] oversee this case to make sure all officers have done their jobs well and effectively," Yudhoyono added.

Gayus, 31, a once unknown tax officer involved in assessing tax claims, is suspected of receiving around 100 billion rupiah ($11.1 million), according to local media reports, and using his illegal wealth to avoid conviction and free himself from prison.

Gayus is suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribe money from companies seeking to ease the tax appeals process. However, in the hands of the Attorney General's Office, the charges were changed to embezzlement, which the Tangerang District Court in Banten clearing him.

The case was later brought to media attention by former National Police chief of detectives, Commander Geneneral Susno Duadji, which has the whole country informed of how money can bend and even control the Indonesian judiciary system.

Yudhoyono also stated that the 149 companies suspected to be involved in the Gayus case could be individually probed if sufficient evidence is found.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-18