Abdominal Tummy Tuck

nephron

Does a tummy tuck always require liposuction? I've lost quite a bit of weight (I'm presently 5'7", 145lb (170cm, 66kg), but used to be up to 205lb) and have a bit of a gut that is remaining from my previous weight. I remember the last time I was this weight I didn't have this hanging fat that I'm somewhat uncomfortable with.

I don't like it, I'd like to get rid of it, but I'm not sure what is necessarily involved. I'm a bit uncomfortable with liposuction as a procedure.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The term "tummy tuck" refers to the removal of fat (for which liposuction is the least invasive approach) plus removal of excess skin.

In only some cases is this necessary, often just lipo will do it.

For localized fat removal, liposuction is the least invasive method. But of course, it is still surgery and still has risks. Risks are much greater in people with diabetes or other chronic diseases.

The newer approaches still involve (1) anesthesia (2) a small incision and insertion of a cannula into your tissue. And while downtime is somewhat less than with conventional lipo there will still be bruising and swelling afterwards. It is still surgery.

Definitely not worth doing in cases where weight loss and/or exercise could do the trick.

As to whether it is worth doing in cases where, despite being at the right weight and despite exercise there are localized fat deposits (and indeed, that does often prove to be the case, more so as one ages) depends entirely on one's vanity and willing to suffer/pay for same.

Having been in the room when someone else had (traditional) liposuction done, I guess I have to figure out whether my vanity is worth being stabbed with a glorified vacuum cleaner in the abdomen, and the after-effects from that. It is not a pretty thing to watch happen. I'm not sure how much less invasive the newer methods are.

I'm now at a healthy weight for my height (same weight I was when I was 17), healthy and reasonably fit (although I'm still planning on increasing my swimming over the next year). I don't have much just-beneath-surface fat- I see bones everywhere that I haven't seen for years- just this loose fat sitting towards the bottom of my abdomen that hasn't really shifted much.

is it fat or is it loose skin? if the latter then not much will get rid of it once the skin has been stretched out over a long period apart from surgery ime:(

The skin doesn't look particularly loose at the moment, though it's not especially tight- but if you took the fat out from underneath it, would it look loose? I don't know. Probably a cosmetic surgeon would.

(I am somewhat fearful that they would be like the woman who threaded my eyebrows- "Are you suuuure you don't want to get your love handles done? Really?" There are few things about my body that bother me much at all, and I'd rather not have someone try to create new ones.)

• 3 weeks later...

is it fat or is it loose skin? if the latter then not much will get rid of it once the skin has been stretched out over a long period apart from surgery ime:(

The skin doesn't look particularly loose at the moment, though it's not especially tight- but if you took the fat out from underneath it, would it look loose? I don't know. Probably a cosmetic surgeon would.

(I am somewhat fearful that they would be like the woman who threaded my eyebrows- "Are you suuuure you don't want to get your love handles done? Really?" There are few things about my body that bother me much at all, and I'd rather not have someone try to create new ones.)

Hello Nephron, if you take out the fats from underneath the skin - it may be loose. If you're young, the skin's elasticity may heal itself or you can start to be really active to tone that area. Tummy tuck may done with or without liposuction.