Flood Warning

Jai Dee

THE METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT HAS ISSUED A WARNING TO PEOPLE IN THE NORTHEAST & NORTH TO BE ON LOOKOUT FOR FLOODS

A depression over Vietnam's Tangkia (ตังเกี๋ย) Gulf at 7 pm last night had an epicentre located roughly 250 kilometres northeast of Nakhon Phanom. The storm was expected to move westward into Vietnam's Win (วิญ) city, which would cause heavy to very heavy rain in many areas of Thailand's north-eastern region and northern region. People in Nong Khai, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Roi Ed, Kalasin, Nan, Phrae, and Phetchabun are being warned to be on the lookout for flash floods, forest floods, and overflowing of waterways.

Source: thaisnews.com 2005-08-31

Well here in Nong Khai we had a wild night.Holy shit.The only time that comes even close was October 1987 in London.Winds like i've never seen in Thailand.Trees down everywhere and roofs missing.We're OK.All along the main road is hazardous due to tree limbs blocking the bike lane and so bikers swerving out into the traffic flow.

Well here in Nong Khai we had a wild night.Holy shit.The only time that comes even close was October 1987 in London.Winds like i've never seen in Thailand.Trees down everywhere and roofs missing.We're OK.All along the main road is hazardous due to tree limbs blocking the bike lane and so bikers swerving out into the traffic flow.

I slept right through that 1987 storm. Must have been the London Pride. I woke in the morning to dicover complete devestation outside my house, could not drive for more than 20 yards due to downed tree's

Glad that you are OK

Edited by mpdkorat

I slept right through that 1987 storm. Must have been the London Pride. I woke in the morning to dicover complete devestation outside my house, could not drive for more than 20 yards due to downed tree's

Glad that you are OK

we do not want a catastrophy like the one in Louisiana/Mississippi, but rice farmers in many parts of Buriram/Surin would love to get one day(night) of big rain, to enable them to throw chemie and save their rice for this year!

last night here was rain, but very moderate and short!

big storm here in Khon Kaen last night, heavy rain. This afternoon it went dark at 3 and torrential rin for 1 hour, flash floods most roads were 4 inch deep canals for an hour or so before the drains caught up.

Korat got it last night. I heard we got three inches of rain. It was fun riding the motorcycle home, lots of cars a motorcycles stalled with water in the exhuast systems.

Heavy rain forecast for Isaan...... this weekend.

Affected provinces include Tak, Kamphang Phet, Roi Et, Ubon Ratchatthani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Nayok, Kanchanaburi, Rayong, Sukhothai, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Phetchabun, Uttaradit, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Chaiyaphum, Buri Rum, Saraburi, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Chachoengsao, Suphan Buri, Lopburi,

Chai Nat, Sing Buri, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Prachinburi, Chon Buri, Chanthaburi, Sa Kaeo and Trat. (TNA)-E004

Uh oh..... I just noticed that info came from TNA..... up to you, to believe it or not. :o

PEOPLE IN THE NORTH-EASTERN REGION HAVE BEEN WARNED OF POSSIBLE TORRENTIAL RAINFALL

The North-eastern Meteorological Centre has issued a statement warning people in the area to be on alert for possible torrential rainfall.

Director of the Centre, Vichitr Phuangsombat (วิจิตร พวงสมบัติ) has disclosed that, from today until Sunday, September 11th, the stronger force of low air pressure and the south-western monsoon will extend over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. This signifies that there will be rainfall and possible heavy rainfall in 70% of the north-eastern area. Worst affected areas are expected to include the eastern part of the region, such as in Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani Provinces.

Between the 9th and 11th of September, an increasing amount of rainfall is possible, and the torrential rainfall will hit some areas.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 6 กันยายน 2548

THE METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT HAS ISSUED A WARNING TO PEOPLE IN THE NORTHEAST & NORTH TO BE ON LOOKOUT FOR FLOODS

A depression over Vietnam's Tangkia (ตังเกี๋ย) Gulf at 7 pm last night had an epicentre located roughly 250 kilometres northeast of Nakhon Phanom. The storm was expected to move westward into Vietnam's Win (วิญ) city, which would cause heavy to very heavy rain in many areas of Thailand's north-eastern region and northern region. People in Nong Khai, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Roi Ed, Kalasin, Nan, Phrae, and Phetchabun are being warned to be on the lookout for flash floods, forest floods, and overflowing of waterways.

Source: thaisnews.com  2005-08-31

the amazing thing up here (RN 24 between Burirum and Surin) is, that the intensity of the storms/rains vary within a few kilometers!

Two years ago, there were very few rains, but extermely heavy, last year, almost permanent rain between june,10th and sept, 5th, but no real heavy ones, althogh Nang Rong on one side, and Surin on the other head very intense and heavy storms.

thi syear we - that means mainly the rice farmers - were desperate to lose their crop until this week:

one heavy storm last friday, and massive rains since two days, although no (heavy) storms - but it appears that the rice crop is saved and should at least be normal!

but the deviation in rain season and rain intensity makes it very difficult for the farmers, to pick the right dates to throw (or plant) :o

tks, anyway JD for the good info!

Hey JD,

is there a site which shows the annual rainfall in the same manner that your's does above..... for the provinces? :D

I'm not aware of one udon... but if you wade around in this site, The Northeastern Meteorological Centre, you may find some links.

I'll see what I can find... :o

/Edit - fixed typo.

Edited by Jai Dee