BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jai Dee

Flood Warning

Cheers JD.The Mekong may be dropping ,but now i may be hit by flash flooding. :o

I'll keep you guys posted if I receive any more updates.

It looks like you may be in for a rough weekend.

THE METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT HAS ISSUED A WARNING TO PEOPLE IN THE NORTHEAST & NORTH TO BE ON LOOKOUT FOR FLOODS

A depression over Vietnam's Tangkia (ตังเกี๋ย) Gulf at 7 pm last night had an epicentre located roughly 250 kilometres northeast of Nakhon Phanom. The storm was expected to move westward into Vietnam's Win (วิญ) city, which would cause heavy to very heavy rain in many areas of Thailand's north-eastern region and northern region. People in Nong Khai, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Roi Ed, Kalasin, Nan, Phrae, and Phetchabun are being warned to be on the lookout for flash floods, forest floods, and overflowing of waterways.

Source: thaisnews.com  2005-08-31

the amazing thing up here (RN 24 between Burirum and Surin) is, that the intensity of the storms/rains vary within a few kilometers!

Two years ago, there were very few rains, but extermely heavy, last year, almost permanent rain between june,10th and sept, 5th, but no real heavy ones, althogh Nang Rong on one side, and Surin on the other head very intense and heavy storms.

thi syear we - that means mainly the rice farmers - were desperate to lose their crop until this week:

one heavy storm last friday, and massive rains since two days, although no (heavy) storms - but it appears that the rice crop is saved and should at least be normal!

but the deviation in rain season and rain intensity makes it very difficult for the farmers, to pick the right dates to throw (or plant) :o

tks, anyway JD for the good info!

Here's a radar image taken from Khon Kaen at 04:30hrs this morning.

If I can find the website for the live radar I'll post the link for you guys.

Hey JD,

is there a site which shows the annual rainfall in the same manner that your's does above..... for the provinces? :o

Hey JD,

is there a site which shows the annual rainfall in the same manner that your's does above..... for the provinces? :D

I'm not aware of one udon... but if you wade around in this site, The Northeastern Meteorological Centre, you may find some links.

I'll see what I can find... :o

/Edit - fixed typo.

Edited by Jai Dee

Here's a fairly basic weather forecast site in English.

tks, interesting site, and it shows again : the weather is very local, big differences between Burirum and Nang Rong (50km), Surin. Korat...

Udon,the Mekong has actually been falling for a couple of days now.It got as high as the third step from the top but is now down to the sixth.Heavy rain every night but not up stream i guess.