Vfs Application Centre At Regent House Bangkok

The VFS center has a massive sign on the front of it saying "UK Visa Application Center" or something like that, there are also security guards outside and a constant stream of people going in. Why anyone would walk into the shop next door which looks like any old english language/work abroad/travel agent type of place is a mystery to me.

Yes, a big sign with a photo of a VAC worker and the wording you suggest would be ideal; if, as you say, the landlord would allow it; a big if!

The sort of sign i am thinking of, i don't think would be a big deal at all, as it is essentially the same as what exists now - or what has been described to exist now - just that rather than quite a lot of small writing, it would have a very big photo of a member of VFS in bright uniform, with a large font warning. Like you, i'm no lawyer, but i really can't see a problem with that sort of sign nor can i imagine the landlord would could very reasonably oppose it.

Signs at and from the BTS station would also be ideal; I don't know if such signs would be permissible, do you?

No i don't, but i really don't see why not. Your impression of Thailand, or at least Bangkok, seems to be that even doing something as fairly innocuous as erecting a general warning sign would be fraught with potential legal issues and issues with displeased parties, such as landlords. My impression is not the same. My impression is providing you pay what needs to be paid to the right people, you can do, within reason, what you like. Maybe i'm wrong though.

Many? Previous threads on this subject show that some are tricked, but more are started by people who weren't but want to warn others about the rogue agents, as this one was.

OK, fair enough, but maybe the reason why people feel compelled to come on here and warn is that they see the dangers and observe others being tricked.

Why anyone would walk into the shop next door which looks like any old english language/work abroad/travel agent type of place is a mystery to me.

Well people do walk into the shop next door, so with it all being so blindingly obvious as you say, they are clearly just very stupid people, right? What's the mystery? Case closed.

Why anyone would walk into the shop next door which looks like any old english language/work abroad/travel agent type of place is a mystery to me.

Well people do walk into the shop next door,

People probably get stressed and distracted when a tout approaches them which leads them to loose all their common sense and be whisked into some little unofficial shop which they would otherwise have ignored.

Signs at and from the BTS station would also be ideal; I don't know if such signs would be permissible, do you?

No i don't, but i really don't see why not. Your impression of Thailand, or at least Bangkok, seems to be that even doing something as fairly innocuous as erecting a general warning sign would be fraught with potential legal issues and issues with displeased parties, such as landlords. My impression is not the same. My impression is providing you pay what needs to be paid to the right people, you can do, within reason, what you like. Maybe i'm wrong though.

I think you are wrong and refer you back to my earlier posts about Thai defamation laws. My impression is that even if the embassy and VFS were prepared to "pay what needs to be paid to the right people" those "right people" would not want to take the risk of ending up in court defending a libel case.
maybe the reason why people feel compelled to come on here and warn is that they see the dangers and observe others being tricked

Fair enough, but as I said earlier:-

There comes a time when people have to take responsibility for themselves. The VAC is signed, the embassy website, the VAC website and signs in the building itself tell people that the agents are not connected to the embassy. The embassy website and the VAC website tell people that they will know they are in the VAC because signs will tell them and the staff are in uniform. (Do the signs before you get there? I don't know.) If people still end up in the wrong place, to be blunt that is not really the fault of the embassy or VFS.

As you say, case closed.

It was basically a result of the British Embassy's shortsightedness in a land of sharks. They outsourced a majorly busy and important facet of their remit to VFS not thinking of how they could avoid the scammers and sharks from trying to get a piece of the cake. VFS are as much to blame for not ensuring their site would not be able to offer a sanctuary to the sharks. The Embassy have experience. For years the agents waited outside the gates ready to catch the confused or desperate, and now (with a high-up complaint) you will see them wait on the opposite side of the road....approaching any couple who go in/out looking distressed or non purposeful.

I played a little with the agents next to VFS who often wait on the STAIRS up, offering to look at documents free before they're submitted. I was then taken into an office with a middle-aged Thai chap basically saying "oh, your application won't be approved but we can ensure it will for 30,000 baht". They hope for people who haven't done their research or possibly know they stand a low chance of getting their desired visa. When my situation and documents ticked all the boxes to get my visa, I kept asking him which areas may fall short. He couldn't give a solid reply but used some rhetoric hoping to win over our trust. No chance. Our documents were all in order and we knew it and the visa was straightforward.

I've seen them target folk TOO many times in the VFS and also quite an argument between VFS staff and the agency staff about them standing near their doors to tout. Complaints to the main Embassy complaint email address don't achieve any reply or any change. Out of their hands and too late, no doubt. The only hope now is for the building owner to chuck them out or for anyone thinking of applying for a visa to read warnings like these on Thaivisa (which certainly not everyone knows about). With the FREE personal help and information available on this forum NO-ONE needs an agency unless they're near illiterate or have enough money to throw at it to save any brain usage.

It was basically a result of the British Embassy's shortsightedness in a land of sharks. They outsourced a majorly busy and important facet of their remit to VFS not thinking of how they could avoid the scammers and sharks from trying to get a piece of the cake. VFS are as much to blame for not ensuring their site would not be able to offer a sanctuary to the sharks. The Embassy have experience. For years the agents waited outside the gates ready to catch the confused or desperate, and now (with a high-up complaint) you will see them wait on the opposite side of the road....approaching any couple who go in/out looking distressed or non purposeful.

I played a little with the agents next to VFS who often wait on the STAIRS up, offering to look at documents free before they're submitted. I was then taken into an office with a middle-aged Thai chap basically saying "oh, your application won't be approved but we can ensure it will for 30,000 baht". They hope for people who haven't done their research or possibly know they stand a low chance of getting their desired visa. When my situation and documents ticked all the boxes to get my visa, I kept asking him which areas may fall short. He couldn't give a solid reply but used some rhetoric hoping to win over our trust. No chance. Our documents were all in order and we knew it and the visa was straightforward.

I've seen them target folk TOO many times in the VFS and also quite an argument between VFS staff and the agency staff about them standing near their doors to tout. Complaints to the main Embassy complaint email address don't achieve any reply or any change. Out of their hands and too late, no doubt. The only hope now is for the building owner to chuck them out or for anyone thinking of applying for a visa to read warnings like these on Thaivisa (which certainly not everyone knows about). With the FREE personal help and information available on this forum NO-ONE needs an agency unless they're near illiterate or have enough money to throw at it to save any brain usage.

Good points and good advice. Mirrors my experience.

I think you are wrong and refer you back to my earlier posts about Thai defamation laws. My impression is that even if the embassy and VFS were prepared to "pay what needs to be paid to the right people" those "right people" would not want to take the risk of ending up in court defending a libel case.

To repeat, the type of sign i am talking about is really no different from what we have established already exists. I'm just talking about them being a bit bolder, using photos, and being more plentiful and more strategically placed. You seem to have it fixed in mind however that VFS have done as much as is humanly possible to help people, and if they haven't, it's because the law prevents them. Quite why this is so confidently fixed in your mind having never been there, i'm not sure.

I feel like we are going round in circles now though, so will leave it at that.

I feel like we are going round in circles now though, so will leave it at that.

I've read this topic and for the life of me can't understand it.

If VFS accept applications only from applicants and the embassy accept applications only from VFS, I fail to see how this problem exists.

If the applicant chooses to get an outside agency to help and they are defrauded, a fact that will be apparent when they submit their application, they should take it up with the police not the embassy or VFS.

Is this Vfs Centre just for UK applications?

Asking again;

Is this particular VFS Centre only for UK applications? I'm sure some reading this thread will want to know just what applications are processed here.

The title and subtitle of this topic give a big clue!

"Vfs Application Centre At Regent House Bangkok, UK visa application centre"

As do this post, this post and this one.

Although the company processing the applications is VFS Global, the actual office is called the UK Visa Application Centre.

Rivalex, I agree, we are now both simply repeating ourselves. I think, based on reports from people who have been there recently, that both the embassy and the VAC have done all that they can, especially as it appears from Skypist's post that VAC staff do try and stop the agents from hanging around outside the VAC entrance itself; you don't. As you say, let's leave it at that.

Yes, I had heard before the name had "GLOBAL" attached to it and the centre's location may be convenient for some other members if it 'was' indeed global. That's why I enquired!

Thanks for clearing that up, I certainly was not meaning to be sarcastic in any way. Nor was I anticipating any criticism for asking.

Keep in mind some of us here may not be as young as we used to be and may miss the points like you noted, from time to time.

Edited by fishhooks

• 2 weeks later...

Of course there is more the British Embassy can do to enfore there is no counterfeit of their offices and to protect their respective citizens, how about large businesses selling top branded goods enforcing copyright of their products and software counterfeit within Thailand.

Perhaps if the Embassy in question were protecting their business interests instead of just their citizens they may be more responsive.

Just a thought and to protect us fellow British Citizens and our Thai companions:-

The British Embassy are so exact in requiring every minute detail on their respective forms that they could easily print out warnings against those that we can fall prey to.

Selling fraudulent copyrighted goods is, believe it or not, illegal in Thailand. Giving visa 'advice' is not.

As you can see reading this topic, and others, there are warnings on the embassy website, the VAC website and in the building.

Most people seem to see one, more or all of them; some don't. How is that the embassy's fault?

Thai libel laws do have to make us wary of 'naming and shaming.' It is not just the person making any allegations that could be sued for/charged with defamation, but also the media publishing such allegations; i.e. this forum.

However, naming a company involved in bad practice on a forum such as this may be ok if:-

1) Any allegations were true and could be proven so,

2) Any allegations were coming from several unrelated sources and not just one individual,

and

3) It was in the public interest to do so.

Show me where any company or individual has been 'named and shamed' in this topic and I will deal with it appropriately.

Edited by 7by7
Addenda

The VFS website clearly states :

Where can I get advice?

VFS staff cannot give you advice on how to complete your application, or what type of visa you should apply for. If you need help with your application or advice about the UK's immigration rules and requirements, you should seek advice from a qualified immigration adviser. In the UK immigration advisers are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC- www.oisc.gov.uk).

You can also obtain advice from legally qualified professionals regulated by designated professional bodies. A list of legally qualified professionals who can advise on immigration matters can be downloaded from the following websites:

Law Society of England and Wales

Law Society of Scotland

Law Society of Northern Ireland

Institute of Legal Executives

Please note: The Law Societies of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and the Institute of Legal Executivescannot provide direct help or advice on visa applications. They can only provide a list of law firms who can advise on immigration matters.

Use of visa agents

Also of further interest I was at VFS on Tuesday and they have inserted large foot prints on the floor which clearly take you to the correct office.

Just a thought and to protect us fellow British Citizens and our Thai companions:-

The British Embassy are so exact in requiring every minute detail on their respective forms that they could easily print out warnings against those that we can fall prey to.

That's a good idea - to print the warning on the form.

Visa application forms are not country specific and are downloaded from the UKBA website no matter where one is applying. Adding reams of information and warnings for each country to the already vast amount of notes on the forms and guidance would not, in my opinion, help as I suspect that most people would not bother to read it. Indeed, I suspect that many do not read the information already there!

Country specific information, and warnings, can be found either on the embassy or UKVAC website for that country.