Postcards From 1904-1921

Nice cards, can you let me know where you found them? Siam Society or? I would love to see more if you have them.

Thanks,

John

My interest is in postal history, so the Krung Thep Rifle Club card is in my collection. The other items are just things I've run across while searching for Rama V material.

There are a number of shops that deal in stamps and postal history, which would include picture postcards, in the immediate vicinity of the GPO on Charoen Krung Rd.

Additionally there is a weekend bourse:

Location: In front of the General Post Office, 1160 Charoen Krung Road

Hours: Sat-Sun only 0900-1700. Some dealers start leaving around 3:00PM.

Almost 20 stamp dealers operate from an open-sided tent erected in the parking lot in front of the GPO on New Road every weekend. Sales start at 0900 or earlier but many of the dealers don't arrive until near noon. Each dealer has his material spread out on a table and there are usually plenty of chairs so you can sit down and go through their stock books and boxes of covers and souvenir sheets. For those who like classical Thai stamps and postal history, pay a visit to Kitti Damrongvadhana, who has a large and interesting stock together with a vast knowledge of the subject. He also speaks excellent English, German and French.

I think there are also dealers at Chatuchak Market, but have no first-hand knowledge of those.

And there are dealers such as Canadian Geoffrey Flack who is a part-time resident of Thailand: http://www.tibetanpo...ubsection&id=53

And of course, you can also run a few searches on Ebay.

Edited by Suradit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1907 Shipping on the Menam (Chayo Phraya)

"On many old European maps, the river is named Menam or Mae Nam (Thai: แม่น้ำ), Thai for "river". Englishman H. Warrington Smyth, who served as Director of the Department of Mines in Siam from 1891-1896, refers to it in his book first published in 1898 as "the Me Nam Chao Phraya."

Korat justice in action:

I'm not sure what "The Governor of Korat and suit..." means.

post-109025-0-14018000-1305537114_thumb.

post-109025-0-62823900-1305537210_thumb.

Edited by Suradit

This is a photo of King Mongkut, Rama IV standing on the raised platform. He was born in 1804 and the stamp used to post the card was issued in 2004, but apparently the photo is of the King whose reign began in 1851. The Thais shown toward the front left are certainly positioned as one would expect them to be in the presence of the king. He appears to be surrounded by quite a few foreigners, some of whom are in military uniform complete with (ceremonial?) swords. Not sure who they would be or where the photo was taken.

post-109025-0-73524900-1306570620_thumb.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

nice postcards, thanks. a pity someone put a contemporary stamp on an old collectible postcard.

I too collect stamps - worldwide pre-wwII with several dozen 19th century stamps and so-called 'dead countries' (changed names / borders).