Sexist Remarks

Zodiac

Matthew Syed

Last updated January 26 2011 12:01AM

There is something rather reassuring about the outrage that has engulfed Andy Gray and Richard Keys after their comments about a female assistant referee on Saturday. Gray has been sacked by Sky Sports and the future of Keys is in the balance, and the vast majority of onlookers have welcomed the sanctions.

This is reassuring for a simple reason: 40 years ago, no one would have cared, still less complained, about such bigotry, perhaps not even the women on the receiving end. Crude and vindictive chauvinism was socially acceptable, indeed socially obligatory, as Mad Men, the popular TV series, has amply and deftly demonstrated.

So, while the comments of Gray and Keys are symptomatic of the lingering (and depressing) prejudice in a particular group of ageing, leering, often pot-bellied fiftysomethings, they also tell us something of arguably greater importance: just how small and culturally isolated that group has become.

I was similarly reassured by the Ron Atkinson scandal. When the former Manchester United manager saw fit to describe Marcel Desailly as a “lazy n*****”, albeit off-air, he became a social and commercial outcast. He was dropped from ITV, from The Guardian, and has not been able to shake off the prevailing stench of racism since.

The reaction to Atkinson showed how far majority attitudes have come with regard to racism. It was not so much the outrage that was revelatory as the shrugging of shoulders and the raising of eyebrows. It was felt that there was something almost quaint and faintly pitiable about an intelligent (I use the term loosely) man holding such antediluvian views on such a profound issue. We were torn between astonishment and incomprehension.

When Carol Thatcher used the word “golliwog” to describe a tennis player a few years later, the debate was over almost before it started. She was sacked from her role on The One Show and widely condemned. Many went on to the public airwaves to explain why such racist epithets are profoundly damaging; how they are bound up with a history of bigotry; how they sustain subconscious stereotypes that have a damaging impact on the life chances of blacks today, but they needn’t have bothered. Most decent, right-minded people had already got the point.

Apologists for Gray and Keys have invoked the familiar defences, of course. It was just banter, they say; or that the comments reflect the closet views of millions of men up and down the country. Have you not joked, they ask, about the inability of women to read maps, to drive cars and, on the specific point, to understand the offside rule? These questions, apparently, are not rhetorical. But they do tell us a great deal about the people who ask them.

I am reminded of the people who used to tell jokes or make generalisations about “Pakis” before nodding in my direction with a smile and a wink. “No offence, mate,” they would chime. I wonder if that is what Gray said to Charlotte Jackson, a fellow presenter, after pointing at his crotch and asking: “Will you tuck this in for me, love?” I wonder if that is what Gray will say to the assistant referee from Saturday’s game between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Liverpool when he finally apologises for his view that “women do not understand the offside rule”.

Not that the apology is really worth bothering with. You only need to glance at the growing litany of Gray’s sexist antics to realise that his primitive attitude to women is deep-seated and that any act of contrition would be entirely hollow and self-serving. It is difficult to forget, among many other incidents, that episode in La Manga when, after serenading hotel guests with obscene football chanting, he is reported to have approached a woman and attempted to smooth-talk her with the line: “You’ve got great f***ing t**s.”

Misogyny is not a crime, of course, but Sky executives are surely right to have dispensed with the services of a man holding such attitudes. Even when abstracting from the moral issue, they will have recognised that it made no commercial sense to provide a platform to a man with opinions that are an affront to the vast majority of their subscribers. They will also have reflected on the likelihood of more incidents emerging from the cutting-room floor and elsewhere in the coming days.

Gray’s friends will doubtless argue that this was a witch-hunt, but it was nothing of the kind. This was a public debate of the kind that sport excels at, an opportunity for the nation to ask itself whether aggressively sexist views are to be tolerated or condemned.

Can insulting generalisations be passed off as banter, in the way that racism once was, or are they now beyond the pale, an unwelcome reminder of the discrimination that women have suffered for far too long and still endure?

The jury was out, at least for a while, but it seems to have reached a verdict. The sacking of Gray has sent a powerful signal about where society has arrived and the direction in which it is moving. Pointing at your crotch and asking for a female colleague to “tuck it in” is a sackable offence, even if you consider yourself as the alpha male in an organisation and thus beyond reproach. It was the right verdict at the right time.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no you don't M Singh

You know full well that the term 'bird' could be deemed as offensive and sexist, regardless of what you might say.

If it is a matter that you feel that strongly about, you'd stop using it. Otherwise, you're just being a hypocrite.

Bwah, so i give you the origins of a word in the Englsh Language but just cos what it actually means doesn't to suit your argument, you won't accept it ?? :D

Bwahahaha, is T*ttingham your Premiership Team by any chance M ?? ;)

<deleted> singher. What has tottenham got to do with this thread. Sort it out. :huh:

Gray and Keys were crap and good riddence to them. That aside its a storm in a tea cup.

Nothing wrong at all with a female running the line.

I would prefer it if they wore slightly more eye catching kit so as to speak. Sort of sex up the game a bit. ;)

I'll tell you what. If women do start to officiate more, we can wave goodbye to the use of video technology. They'll be using the video to tape Coronation St and Eastenders !!

:o You might have to resign from TV for those sexist comments. :D

Ive edited and removed part of a post, and deleted those that quoted the said post.

Im not getting involved in the topic, but leave personal slurs against each other out of it will you

So, while the comments of Gray and Keys are symptomatic of the lingering (and depressing) prejudice in a particular group of ageing, leering, often pot-bellied fiftysomethings, they also tell us something of arguably greater importance: just how small and culturally isolated that group has become.

matthew syed has met some of the thaivisa football forum posters? ohmy.gif

OK comrade so what is known as comment by the establishment media is now the line we must all tow otherwise youll start calling us names and stereotyping, i presume culturally isolated means people dont mix with the Notting Hill set, this poncy middle class tw4t shouldnt write about a sport he knows nothing about, and as with most middle classes theyve never been out the boundarys of their own ilk as theyre too scared yet he speaks of cultural isolation.

Funny how you werent calling for the sacking of Gerrard when he started hitting that lad. Youre a woollyback hypocrite.

I bet many males who noticed a female linesman on Saturday made similar comment ... he who is without sin and all that!

Edited by Englander

Its not about what I accept.

If the word bird can be found offensive, and many will say that it is, then you should stop using it if it is all such a big issue to you.

It isn't a big issue to me, i don't give a monkeys what people think about me, i think that's clear enough to be honest...:D

Moonrakers, i'll be truthful you know, if i were to get punished for things i've said in private, i'd be executed let alone Sacked, but in general i'm not stupid enoughh to say things whne i could possibly get caught out, like them Idiots did/do & that is the problem with this, they got caught, that's it..

It's like you said earlier, evryone syas this, says that, has a pop at him, has a pop at her, that's life, i've heard some awful things said before about Women, about Black People, about White people, about Disabled people but people ARE entitled to their opinions on things & that's cool with me as it normally says more about the Person than anythign else anyway in my opinion.

I do think that Gray thing that he done was out of order though, i would have pulled him if i was in that Company to be honest, i find it bullying & i don't do Bully's & i feel Gray was being a Bully in front of his Pal's when he done that & i can't imagine that Bird was comfortable at all with him doing it & THAT is out of order..

But THIS, THIS is unreal, truly, & they get caught AGAIN..:D

MORE MORE, WE WANT MORE, ENCORE !!! :lol:

did you notice souness kick keyes leg at the end,as if to say "shut the <deleted> up"! quality!

For such a newspaper snob you ought to have been aware of whom the owner of The Times is, when using quotes. In case you arent aware its a Mr Murdoch who also owns Sky, your ability at impartiality is quite something.

OK comrade so what is known as comment by the establishment media is now the line we must all tow otherwise youll start calling us names and stereotyping, i presume culturally isolated means people dont mix with the Notting Hill set, this poncy middle class tw4t shouldnt write about a sport he knows nothing about, and as with most middle classes theyve never been out the boundarys of their own ilk as theyre too scared yet he speaks of cultural isolation.

Funny how you werent calling for the sacking of Gerrard when he started hitting that lad. Youre a woollyback hypocrite.

I bet many males who noticed a female linesman on Saturday made similar comment ... he who is without sin and all that!

no, it means 'hasn't evolved yet, probably never will'. matthew syed knows plenty about football as it goes and is a decent enough journalist. and he's totally right in that article.

For such a newspaper snob you ought to have been aware of whom the owner of The Times is, when using quotes. In case you arent aware its a Mr Murdoch who also owns Sky, your ability at impartiality is quite something.

what's a 'newspaper snob'? i know exactly who owns the times thanks, i also know what else the murdoch empire comprises. it's irrelevant in this instance. i don't think you know what 'impartiality' means.

Oh no you don't M Singh

You know full well that the term 'bird' could be deemed as offensive and sexist, regardless of what you might say.

If it is a matter that you feel that strongly about, you'd stop using it. Otherwise, you're just being a hypocrite.

Bwah, so i give you the origins of a word in the Englsh Language but just cos what it actually means doesn't to suit your argument, you won't accept it ?? :D

<deleted> singher. What has tottenham got to do with this thread. Sort it out. :huh:

Bwahaha you Bird.

Edited by MSingh

no, it means 'hasn't evolved yet, probably never will'. matthew syed knows plenty about football as it goes and is a decent enough journalist. and he's totally right in that article.

what's a 'newspaper snob'?

One of those muppets who calls people Daily Mail reader or a Sun read as if they are the only ones who know the difference. Its name calling usually spouted out by failures who read the Guardian.

Oh no you don't M Singh

Bwahaha you Bird.

Fcukin emigrant curry munchin self appointed experts. Welcome to the Illiterati.....:D

Yes, women should not be refereeing football, as they don't know the offside rule.

While we're at it, please ban them from watching the sport at all as this is a man's game! No women at football stadia, anywhere! That way we can be like the ancient Greeks and the players can play like they ought to, in the nude.

what's a 'newspaper snob'?

One of those muppets who calls people Daily Mail reader or a Sun read as if they are the only ones who know the difference. Its name calling usually spouted out by failures who read the Guardian.

"Failures who read the Guardian" What a load of <deleted>. :lol:

Yes, women should not be refereeing football, as they don't know the offside rule.

While we're at it, please ban them from watching the sport at all as this is a man's game! No women at football stadia, anywhere! That way we can be like the ancient Greeks and the players can play like they ought to, in the nude.

Well done Jimjim. You've raised some interesting points there. :jap:

Now even the Muslim owners of ManCity are complaining about English sexism.

http://www.guardian....-county-sexism?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

It was an accident clicking on it governor im innocent, i promise you i rarely read the views of people who support the destruction of England .. Well kind of i'm a Torygraph reader!

Edited by Englander