Galare, Pt Place, Or Boonthavon Court

Brooksie

hi everyone, looking for a 12 month stay for myself and after searching this forum i have landed on a few that seem to fit the bill even tho they arent perfect.

in a perfect world i would have a spacious room (Galore), high speed internet (boonthavon), a modest gym (PTplace) and a 5000baht monthly rental (none of the above LOL), however im getting ready to finalize everything for mid october and wanted some final thoughts about which would be best for me.

for location, i would like to be be able to walk outside and find a street stall with good food as im sure ill have at least one or two meals a day there.

walking distance to a decent pub to hang out with some english speakers a few times a week.

a safe place to park the honda motorcycle i plan on renting

guest friendly as meeting a thai girl for a relationship seems like an experience i would like to have(long-term hopefully but short-term occasionally LOL) and i want her to be able to enter without any hassle or additional charges.

of course if anyone has any suggestions besides the one's i mentioned above it would be greatly appreciated especially if they have high speed internet which is probably the item i need most.

lastly, im planning to pay the 12 months in advance to hopefully lock in a slightly better rate, im going to shoot for a 25% discount and was wondering if their are any pitfalls that im not anticipating besides the fact of an emergency that would cause me to leave resulting in losing the rent and security deposit.

thanks guys.

michael

hi everyone, looking for a 12 month stay for myself and after searching this forum i have landed on a few that seem to fit the bill even tho they arent perfect.

in a perfect world i would have a spacious room (Galore), high speed internet (boonthavon), a modest gym (PTplace) and a 5000baht monthly rental (none of the above LOL), however im getting ready to finalize everything for mid october and wanted some final thoughts about which would be best for me.

for location, i would like to be be able to walk outside and find a street stall with good food as im sure ill have at least one or two meals a day there.

walking distance to a decent pub to hang out with some english speakers a few times a week.

a safe place to park the honda motorcycle i plan on renting

guest friendly as meeting a thai girl for a relationship seems like an experience i would like to have(long-term hopefully but short-term occasionally LOL) and i want her to be able to enter without any hassle or additional charges.

of course if anyone has any suggestions besides the one's i mentioned above it would be greatly appreciated especially if they have high speed internet which is probably the item i need most.

lastly, im planning to pay the 12 months in advance to hopefully lock in a slightly better rate, im going to shoot for a 25% discount and was wondering if their are any pitfalls that im not anticipating besides the fact of an emergency that would cause me to leave resulting in losing the rent and security deposit.

thanks guys.

michael

Establish clearly and in writing with the condo people who pays for what, if something is broken, stolen or missing. If the contract is only in Thai, naturally you need it translated. Your problem is that the Thai contract will govern any disputes, and bad translation is your fault.

If the owner is reasonable, you may be able to get high speed internet installed in only your room at your own expense (if you are near the moat area, TRUE high speed internet by cable is available, and it is the most reliable service around judging from many people's troubles with ADSL broadband (which partly relies on the quality of the telephone lines... and they could be better). Contact TRUE's office. Some 300 meters before Chang Phuak Market in an alley on your left hand side, coming down from Central Kaat Suan Kaew department store, passing Computer Plaza/Icon Square and having the moat on your right.)

Be careful with your motorcycle as well, make sure you are covered for theft and get yourself a FAT chain lock which you always use. One of my friends had her motorcycle stolen at her condo WITH the security guard on his spot and on duty. She did not have insurance. Be smarter.

You might want to look into renting a town house instead of a condo/apartment. These can be available for as low as 5000-8000 per month even for a farang, and then you usually have more freedom to do as you like. Have a good look around and make sure you ask people when you get here.

There is a large, new condo building next to Powerhouse gym (just off of Nimmenhamin Road). (Both Thai and Farang rent there). The rent is 4500 baht a month with wireless internet. I have friends who live there and I'll ask them for a website or contact info. They have a one bedroom suite. I don't think that there's a gym in the complex but Powerhouse is next door (not so cheap either - but a good place).

hey there sweetball, i appreciate your comments and it has given me some new items to think about.

it might be best to find a place for a month and check things out on my own and pick my place for the next 11 months.

i was wondering how everyone drove around on mopeds without having them stolen so my first order of business after renting one will be to buy a mega lock to give me some peace of mind.

i will only enter into a contract if i can understand it and will not compromise. i might need a few days to have the rental agreement translated and if they dont like it then i will move on to the next place; it is my understanding that available rentals far outweigh demand so i will try my best to secure a nice place on my terms.

hey earl, that sounds like exactly what im looking for and i would like to take you out for a night on the town when i arrive to show my appreciation.

im not sure if i can post my email here but its [email protected], and i would be very interested in the property you speak of.

powerhouse gym sounds perfect and i know its abit expensive but ive kinda let myself go over the last few years and i need a place to get my health back and 50 usd a month or something is acceptable.

i just finalized my plane ticket for october 19Th and any help you can provide will be great appreciated.

thanks again everyone and look forward to getting to know everyone.

michael

I just talked to my friends. Here's the info on that apartment complex:

They don't have a website but the office phone number is 053-21-9000. They do not speak English very well. Or you can simply visit the office here anytime during the day. (Directly beside Powerhouse Gym).

The rooms are modest but clean one bedroom apartments. (Perhaps too small for what you're looking for). They come with bed, TV, phone, refrigerator, wardrobe closet etc. The rent is 3,825 Baht per month for the room and 675 Baht for the furniture. (4,500 Baht total) All the apartments are the same. The units in the lower part (2nd & 3rd floors) are 4500 Baht, and those higher up are 4800 Baht. Wireless internet and free local calls are included. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but it may be a place to start while you look for other places. There are lot's of restaurants in the area - cheap and expensive.

I also have friends at PT Place (about a block away from the place above). Their apartment has a full kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. It's a good size and they seem to like living there a lot. Lot's of farang living in this complex. Good luck.