To Braid Or Not To Braid

robblok

As it has been much to silent in the fishing forum i will write down my opinion about using braid. I am still confined to my home but this wont last much longer. Next monday ill be out fishing and nobody is going to stop me.

My opinion about braids

Pro's

- stronger

- cast easier (because its usually thinner at higher strengths)

- zero stretch

Con's

- floats (my biggest problem with it)

- zero strech as it means you have to adjust your reel to give of line easier the first strike else the line snaps

To offset the con's of floating i have tried a sinking braid.. they do work but are still much more boiyent then nylon. This is especially anoying when your fishing at distance because it means if someone else has a fish and it runs to your side they will surely get into your line.

I have used backleads to sink of the line and it works good (its a bit hard getting them on at times) However if your fishing with a float a braid can be a total nightmare if there is some wind. I prefer nylon then. That is why i love to have extra spools for my reels so i can adjust to the situation at hand.

I am also using leadcore and i like it to sink of the first meter of line when fishing at the bottom. Also im going to get intelligent backleads. They are supposed to stay on your line while casting and end up somewhere half way to help sink your line off. I am not sure how they do with braid as it might cut into them.

Backleads , leadcore, inteligent backleads are all not available in thailand but its so easy to use ebay and if you order with a English company (im Dutch but i prefer the English) you can have it send to you for only a little bit of money. Wish Holland had the same postage costs.

I have a decent length of fluorocarbon leader which sinks well and has better resistance to abrasion. Its a bit pricey but worth it. The zero stretch of braid also means it easier to register bites, this also means that you should use a bait runner and a rod with a bit of give.

Hello,

There are two types available by tough line and the larger braid companies. We use more of the floating for float fishing in the Oregon. We use the sinking braid for bottom fishing and trolling. A neat tool to use is a rubber snubber by Luhr jensen. It is surgical tubing with dacron on the inside to give the line some give. We use it for trolling salmon.

Check out the websites and you will find the two different types.

Happy fishing

I have a decent length of fluorocarbon leader which sinks well and has better resistance to abrasion. Its a bit pricey but worth it. The zero stretch of braid also means it easier to register bites, this also means that you should use a bait runner and a rod with a bit of give.

I use leadcore instead of flour carbon. Also when i use braid instead of nylon (and the objective is to cast far) I would not attach fluor carbon because it will interfere with my cast. But if you fish close by its ok and it sinks great. I have no problem with the price of it.

Hello,

There are two types available by tough line and the larger braid companies. We use more of the floating for float fishing in the Oregon. We use the sinking braid for bottom fishing and trolling. A neat tool to use is a rubber snubber by Luhr jensen. It is surgical tubing with dacron on the inside to give the line some give. We use it for trolling salmon.

Check out the websites and you will find the two different types.

Happy fishing

I tried 3 kinds of sinking braids they did sink a bit but it took forever for them to really go down. Not really viable if your casting out every 15 minutes or so (i do that for the sawai and then i need distance). Its more viable if your fishing not to far out but still a normal braid with a backlead will do the trick too.