Expats' In The North East

Rocket

Hi Rocket, we live in Kokkor. 22 kms toward Loei from Nong Bua. Only know of 1 other farang around here, a german who owns a 'resort', I have only seen him once.

I have a small but growing collection of english language novels if you are interested.

regards pete

Hi Pete, I'm not in country at the moment. Presently working in Oman.....

I live just out side Na Klang (next to Na Wang) moved up north some 8 years ago, can't beat the place. Should be back in LOS early Jan for 3 weeks.

Regards,

Steve

Hey Rocket and steve how you going I just moved to a village about 120km N/W of Khon Khen. Any of you guys into motorcycles. Steve what sort of work do you do in Oman. I am also working in Oman on a rig not far from Bahja. Look forward too hearing from you guys

Hi "Rigger", this is Steve (Rocket) amazing both working in Oman and communicating through a Thai web site unreal. I'm presently working for PDO between Marmul anf Thumrait at a place called Harweel. We are carrying out a hi resolution seismic survey over the Harweel reservoir. The company I work for is called Veritas we have been subcontracted by PDO to do this job. I've been working in Oman for over 10 years now, keeps me busy and enables me to spend plenty of time in the LOS with my family.

All the best,

Steve

Hi you NE falangs,

I am -will be early Jan -in Udon -plenty falangs here.

I am into motorcyles and the road to Nog Bua Lampoo on to Loie is one of my more frequent runs .

Lets ride together one day -as you know the weather and the mountains around Loei make for some awsome rides during Jan and Feb..

Anice stopover for lunch and provisions at Chateau de Loei vinyards tops of the excursion.

Love to hear from you

JAY :o

Hi Steve I am over on rig 40 working for a aussie company ODE as a NTP been in Oman about 7 years and thailand about 3 years lived in phuket and bangkok for a while but now in nong wang just built a house there. Hey Jay if you are going to be around my way in jan drop us a line and may be go for a ride I get home on the 7 jan. But the missus has a bun in the oven so I am sticking to day rides for at least the next 3 months I have a shadow 1100 at the moment and looking at buy a dirt bike soon. What are you riding and where you been riding

Regards Brett

Hi Steve,

I have a house in Non Sang, about 40km from Nongbua Lamphu and on the edge of the Ubol Ratana dam. Am currently in Uk undergoing medical treatment but hope to be ok to travel to LOS in March /April. Am taking early retirement to watch the sun go down over the dam looking through the bottom of Carlsberg bottles.

Fraid not a bike owner just a 4x4.

Keep intouch all you Esarn expats. Jim S.

Hi guys,

Wont be back untill mid 2004, we got a house in Banpaed about 12 kilo from KhonKaen, there are quite a few expats living around the area they have meeting towards end of each month you guys should come along. Will try and catch up next year.

bronco

• 3 weeks later...

Udon Thani.

I've heard there are lots of falang in the area. Have some retired U.S. Military clubs etc and a Big July 4th parade? I have a (sort of) G.F. in Patong who is from a family where both grandfathers are falang. Yes, she has great tits and is 5'8'' tall. Wants me to go to Udon as the families have western houses and we'll be in a guest room not segregated in some hut on mats.

What can people tell me about the expat community in Udon Thani

• 1 month later...

Hi Ex-pats in Issan

I am new to this Forum, so I thought I'd post a quick message. I also work in Oman (strange isn't it) down in Salalah. have been in Oman on and off for 13 years.

I live in a village 12 miles north of Khon Kaen, just off the Udon Thani road. I know Banpead, used to live near there when I first moved to Khon Kaen.

Will be home for Sonkran in April.

Anyone care to get in touch, will reply to all.

Regards

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a house in Khon Kaen and I am also into Motorcycles. I don't have one but I hope to purchase a nice one on my next visit in June (anyone has a nice one to sell, please mail me PM).

Also found a nice (?) place that sells motorbikes in Udon:

http://www.geocities.com/jiggoudorn/

Can anyone tell me if they have some competitive prices ? Looking for something big and custom.

Etienne

Hi All N.E. farangs,

I am staying just outside Ban Dung visiting my son, he has a bar and karaoke there, have visa until end of August but may have to go back early due to back problem affecting my left leg unless the chiropractor in Bangkok, that Bronco posted the address for on the Health etc. forum, can do some good. Thanks for that info Bronco.

We have several farangs in this area, some who come from quite near my home address in UK, and it seems like the number is on the increase.

Nice to make contact with you all.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just to add my two-pence worth too! I am English in my 30's living in Udon Thani for just a few weeks now. Always ready to sink a beer and pass a few hours (keeps me out of the internet shop !) There has to be more than going to Mambo all the time (not that its a bad thing of course). And I can certainly vouch for the Sunday Roasts at Steves Bar - just about the best I ever had !

Anyone who also likes Chang drop a reply.

For the record , I am not in the oil business, have never been to Saudi and my current bike is a 125!

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Jim

Go to the forum page of this site, Khonkaen.com, and you will find all the info you need for expat bars in Khon Kaen.

I have lived just outside KK for six years now. let me know how your visit goes.

Regards

Mick

• 10 months later...
Jim

Go to the forum page of this site, Khonkaen.com, and you will find all the info you need for expat bars in Khon Kaen.

I have lived just outside KK for six years now. let me know how your visit goes.

Regards

Mick

Well I guess I'm reviving a thread, since it's been awhile, I have been living in Udon for the past three years and I'm now researching other areas as possible locations to settle in a bit away from Udon. One of those areas is Loie, trying to locate a place where the weather cools to below 47 degrees F in the winter. I can find that in Chaing Ria. I want to try grow peaches, so there has to be a cold snap for them to bloom. I may not be able to accomplish this in Issan and may have to set my sights towards other goals, don't know yet. So does anyone have any ideas about the cool tempatures in that area?

By the way I'm into motorcycle touring as well, have an old Phantom 150, set for that and a very old 750 Yamaha, that I had rebuilt. Belong to a phantom club here in Udon, they forgive the Yamaha as long as I stay back far enough (LAUGHTER)

Anyone have any idea of the cost of a ria of land on a drivable paved road in the area?

The comments I saw about Udon, in this thread are accurate, except there are a lot more farrangs now. I'm not so sure that is a good thing, many things have changed as far as what is available, but at the cost of some charming apects of the Thia adventure.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Ray.

I live about 50 kilometers south of Loei city near a village called Nong Hin. It was way too cold to suit me November through January. When I can see my breath in the morning it's too cold for me. I recently looked at a farm near where I live. They are asking 30,000 baht per rai for 10 rai or more. It is on a very good paved road.

Jim

Regards

Mick

Well I guess I'm reviving a thread, since it's been awhile, I have been living in Udon for the past three years and I'm now researching other areas as possible locations to settle in a bit away from Udon. One of those areas is Loie, trying to locate a place where the weather cools to below 47 degrees F in the winter. I can find that in Chaing Ria. I want to try grow peaches, so there has to be a cold snap for them to bloom. I may not be able to accomplish this in Issan and may have to set my sights towards other goals, don't know yet. So does anyone have any ideas about the cool tempatures in that area?

By the way I'm into motorcycle touring as well, have an old Phantom 150, set for that and a very old 750 Yamaha, that I had rebuilt. Belong to a phantom club here in Udon, they forgive the Yamaha as long as I stay back far enough (LAUGHTER)

Anyone have any idea of the cost of a ria of land on a drivable paved road in the area?

The comments I saw about Udon, in this thread are accurate, except there are a lot more farrangs now. I'm not so sure that is a good thing, many things have changed as far as what is available, but at the cost of some charming apects of the Thia adventure.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Ray.

I live about 50 kilometers south of Loei city near a village called Nong Hin. It was way too cold to suit me November through January. When I can see my breath in the morning it's too cold for me. I recently looked at a farm near where I live. They are asking 30,000 baht per rai for 10 rai or more. It is on a very good paved road.

Well that really sounds like the area I need to do what I want, price per ria is good.

I'm not there, yet, but my wife and I will be visiting our family and land in early May. Nong Soong Pleui is a small village just west of Nong Bua. You could say it is in the shadow of Nong Bua. Most likely, it will be swallowed-up by NB in time. :o

• 2 weeks later...
I also have a house in Khon Kaen and I am also into Motorcycles.  I don't have one but I hope to purchase a nice one on my next visit in June (anyone has a nice one to sell, please mail me PM).

Can anyone tell me if they have some competitive prices ?  Looking for something big and custom.

Etienne

Heard about a new big bike shop in Nong Kia I'll probably check it out tomorrow and try to compare it to Giggos, the big bike shop you have listed

Ray, today I told my girlfriend that I would put a down payment on the 11 rai that she wants if she could get a mortgage for the rest of the money. It is rice paddies and to make it more productive I will need to put in a large pond. The reason I mention this is because of you would like try some peach trees I would look after them for you. If you would like to just try just a few trees we have two rai of new mixed fruit trees behind the house. It would be easy to put in a few peach trees.

According to the farmer who farms that land he got 60 bags of rice off it last year. A bag of rice is 100 kilos. The land owner gets half.

I also have a house in Khon Kaen and I am also into Motorcycles.  I don't have one but I hope to purchase a nice one on my next visit in June (anyone has a nice one to sell, please mail me PM).

Can anyone tell me if they have some competitive prices ?  Looking for something big and custom.

Etienne

Heard about a new big bike shop in Nong Kia I'll probably check it out tomorrow and try to compare it to Giggos, the big bike shop you have listed

I told my girlfriend that I would put a down payment on the 11 rai that she wants if she could get a mortgage for the rest of the money.

If you cannot afford to lose the amount personally - then don't do it. Never invest in Thailand more than you are prepared to walk away from.