Expats' In The North East

Rocket

DEFINATELY! We have absolutely no rights here and could be told to walk away from "OUR" property tomorrow. It's interesting anyways. When my girlfriend looked at the property the price was 200,000 baht. As soon as I looked at it it went up to 300,000. Now it is the principle of the thing. I am no longer interested even at the original price. No roads other than a narrow goat path, no electricity and no water. I'll be saving my down payment. :o

I told my girlfriend that I would put a down payment on the 11 rai that she wants if she could get a mortgage for the rest of the money.

If you cannot afford to lose the amount personally - then don't do it. Never invest in Thailand more than you are prepared to walk away from.

Ray, today I told my girlfriend that I would put a down payment on the 11 rai that she wants if she could get a mortgage for the rest of the money. It is rice paddies and to make it more productive I will need to put in a large pond. The reason I mention this is because of you would like try some peach trees I would look after them for you. If you would like to just try just a few trees we have two rai of new mixed fruit trees behind the house. It would be easy to put in a few peach trees.

According to the farmer who farms that land he got 60 bags of rice off it last year. A bag of rice is 100 kilos. The land owner gets half.

I also have a house in Khon Kaen and I am also into Motorcycles.  I don't have one but I hope to purchase a nice one on my next visit in June (anyone has a nice one to sell, please mail me PM).

Also found a nice (?) place that sells motorbikes in Udon:

http://www.geocities.com/jiggoudorn/

Can anyone tell me if they have some competitive prices ?  Looking for something big and custom.

Etienne

Heard about a new big bike shop in Nong Kia I'll probably check it out tomorrow and try to compare it to Giggos, the big bike shop you have listed

What area is the land in. sounds like it might be in lower regions peaches won't work unless you are above 1000 meters it has to have real cold snap in the winter, that the first problem.

The second is getting the trees, they were developed by the King, for the Hill Tribes in the Chaing Ria area as an effort to give them an alternative to opium growing as they pay about the same to the farmer. This required a lot of development to get a good peach. That has been done, but the last I heard there is a long waiting list of Hills Tribe people to get the available stock. Hence not available to the public yet.

I would find it very interesting if your girlfriend can get a mortgage for farm land, or would that be paid to the owner, not the bank?

Ray, today I told my girlfriend that I would put a down payment on the 11 rai that she wants if she could get a mortgage for the rest of the money. It is rice paddies and to make it more productive I will need to put in a large pond. The reason I mention this is because of you would like try some peach trees I would look after them for you. If you would like to just try just a few trees we have two rai of new mixed fruit trees behind the house. It would be easy to put in a few peach trees.

According to the farmer who farms that land he got 60 bags of rice off it last year. A bag of rice is 100 kilos. The land owner gets half.

I also have a house in Khon Kaen and I am also into Motorcycles.  I don't have one but I hope to purchase a nice one on my next visit in June (anyone has a nice one to sell, please mail me PM).

Can anyone tell me if they have some competitive prices ?  Looking for something big and custom.

Etienne

Heard about a new big bike shop in Nong Kia I'll probably check it out tomorrow and try to compare it to Giggos, the big bike shop you have listed

What area is the land in. sounds like it might be in lower regions peaches won't work unless you are above 1000 meters it has to have real cold snap in the winter, that the first problem.

The second is getting the trees, they were developed by the King, for the Hill Tribes in the Chaing Ria area as an effort to give them an alternative to opium growing as they pay about the same to the farmer. This required a lot of development to get a good peach. That has been done, but the last I heard there is a long waiting list of Hills Tribe people to get the available stock. Hence not available to the public yet.

I would find it very interesting if your girlfriend can get a mortgage for farm land, or would that be paid to the owner, not the bank?

Sorry I missed the posting where reality hit. The first advice that was given to me when I got here, always holds true, never bring anything to Thailand that you can't afford to lose.

Anything that I do here will not effect my ability to take care of myself, if not here then somewhere else.

The upgrade in pricing is normal and actually costs Thia more then it benefits, when we see what is happening we just walk away and they have no money. Not a very sound business principal but it is how things are done.

Yesterday I looked at a 12 ria parcel for 1 mil, with ten ria in mature rubber trees, with a ram shackle two bedroom house on it, that was liveable but not the best you could have. Unfortunatley she had made arrangements with a Thai to work the trees for two years that just would not work for someone to get a return on thier money. Now think about it that works oput to be about 87 K a ria. Now I have a friend who had a deal set for this place at $55,000 dollar not baht seven years ago, cash in hand and the games started, he had to buy the vehicle in addition to the existing junk furniture. Not the Tia wife who messed up the deal, but her farrang husband trying to take advantage of a newbie, so it's not just the Thias, it is simply how things are if anyone smells frash blood. You really have to be careful here as I have found out the hard way and that includes your fellow countrymen. So now it has been on the market for seven years trying to sell it half the price and no one is buying, now that wa a geat business move was it not?

The funny part is we ride about 4 Kms into the village and have lunch ask the owner of the eatery waht the cost of land is in the area, answer 1 mil per ria.

This is why I'm taking a full year to check things out. if I get shafted at least it will be by someone near and dear to me, my wife.

The things that I do here are meant for the betterment of her life and a hobby for me. Making money to survive here is not on my mind at all.

Etienne

Well I got to Nong Kia today to check out the Big Bike shop. boy what a sleeper, not anywhere near downtown in an area where I had not been before. They didn't have the best selection, but I have never have seen as good a qauility for the price. Most of the bike are 1/4 th of Giggos price. Cherry 750 Honda with the book for 80K, Giggo just sold a comparable one to a guy I know for 550K.

Saw a 1500 Kawaski that I liked but I couldn't get a price on it today. They go through them before they sale them.

In all fairness I believe the bikes are older then Giggos but I still think they are a good value. I can't tell anyone where it is, I'm not sure I could find it again on my own.

Also checked out some land that was supposed to 100 K a ria, add my smiling face and now it's 500K, tis Thialand. Such fun to watch, doesn't even bother me anymore.

Hi Ray was there any early 90s Harleys in there

Etienne

Well I got to Nong Kia today to check out the Big Bike shop. boy what a sleeper, not anywhere near downtown in an area where I had not been before. They didn't have the best selection, but I have never have seen as good a qauility for the price. Most of the bike are 1/4 th of Giggos price. Cherry 750 Honda with the book for 80K, Giggo just sold a comparable one to a guy I know for 550K.

Saw a 1500 Kawaski that I liked but I couldn't get a price on it today. They go through them before they sale them.

In all fairness I believe the bikes are older then Giggos but I still think they are a good value. I can't tell anyone where it is, I'm not sure I could find it again on my own.

Also checked out some land that was supposed to 100 K a ria, add my smiling face and now it's 500K, tis Thialand. Such fun to watch, doesn't even bother me anymore.

Hi Ray was there any early 90s Harleys in there

Etienne

Rigger I din't see a Harley one this is small shop, probably would be a matter of luck catching them with what you want. I think if I wa going to sepmd that kind of money I would definetly checkout Bangkok, before letting go of my at Giggos. He really doesn't have a repuation for being inexpensive. Might check out the The Baht and Sold I have on occassion seen some advertised there. There here but not inexpensive adywhere I have ran across anyway

If i'm looking at getting a piece of land i don't show my face at all if i'm really keen as the price will rise.

Send along a third party with the wife and only surface when everyone has been to the land office.