6-Months In Cr

Hollywood13

I'm going to be in Thailand from mid-August 2011 until mid-February 2012 and Chiang Rai is on my short list of places to go. So, I have a few questions...

1. My budget will be 100k baht per month, will that go further in CM than it will in BKK...and if so, how much further (percentage)?

2. Is there a reputable Thai language school there?

3. Is there a reputable English language school there?

4. Is the pollution during those months as bad as it is in BKK?

5. I'll need a one-bedroom place with a kitchen and reliable internet (most important). How much should I expect to pay?

6. Will I be pulling my hair out and scratching at the walls due to boredom? I have no interst in beer bars/gogos/ladies of the night, but a nice place to kick back and have a few rum & cokes would be welcomed. I enjoy experiencing Thai culture (eating the food, going to temples, sightseeing, etc), so is CR a good place to go for that?

And, finally...

7. I posted this topic in the Chiang Mai section of the forum as well. So, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of staying in CR rather than CM?

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Edited by Shivers

Hi!

First of all-welcome to Thailand.

Yes, it is much cheaper up here,then in Bangkok-it is cheaper whit food,appartment or house rent-everything-I dont know about it in percent,but I will guess around 20-40.

Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai-whit your interrest,you will never bored you, up here.

All the Chiang Mai questions,I will leave to those who live there-they knew alot more about that,then I do.

Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?-Depends on you,I think.

Chiang Mai,is a big city,who have alot of everything-but Chiang Rai is more laid back-everything goes a litle bit more slowly up here-some like it and some dont.

We have what we need every day-all kinds of shops,alot to see and do-alot of festivals, and events in town-and first of all-alot of good people around here-both thais and farangs.

I think it is a question about each person-what do this person want, and need,to have a good life.

Hope you make the rigth choise for you,and you will have a good life,here in Thailand.

Take care!

brianmarinus.

1. My budget will be 100k baht per month, will that go further in CM than it will in BKK...and if so, how much further (percentage)?

Doing What? This is far more income than most expats I know who live in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have and we all live comfortably.

2. Is there a reputable Thai language school there?

There are Thai language schools.

3. Is there a reputable English language school there?

There are English language schools.

4. Is the pollution during those months as bad as it is in BKK?

It's bad for a couple of months. February/March

5. I'll need a one-bedroom place with a kitchen and reliable internet (most important). How much should I expect to pay?

Location location. You need a place with a land line for best internet. Satellite and WIFI are also available. On your income 15 to 20,000 will get you something nice. Plenty of nice places for half that. Best to come here and shop around.

6. Will I be pulling my hair out and scratching at the walls due to boredom? I have no interst in beer bars/gogos/ladies of the night, but a nice place to kick back and have a few rum & cokes would be welcomed. I enjoy experiencing Thai culture (eating the food, going to temples, sightseeing, etc), so is CR a good place to go for that?

CR will satisfy your wildest dreams in that field.

And, finally...

7. I posted this topic in the Chiang Mai section of the forum as well. So, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of staying in CR rather than CM?

CR is smaller, we have most of what you can get in CM but less of it.

BUT... CM is only a two hour drive down the road if you run out of Stilton or Dom Perignon.

Edited by sceadugenga

Shivers,

On your budget, you should not be concearned about cost, but quality of life :D

I am not implying blowing all your money frugaly, but to be where you will be happiest.

If you want to home base yourself somewhere like CM or CR that is less expensive than BKK or Phuket, you could afford to travel and enjoy Thailand.

Both CR and CM have many inexpensive flights from their airports daily.

Thank you for the replies! It seems Chiang Rai is a terrific place to spend some time. I've traveled around Thailand quite a bit already (Phuket, Isaan, Pattaya, Bangkok) and would like to settle somewhere for a 6-month stay as a education sabatical (want to continue my college courses via internet classes and hope to knock out 18 classes during those 6 months) while having a bit of fun as well.

My education costs are not factored into my budget...and the budget is just a ceiling I'd like to stay under...if I can spend less, then great. I've been living/working in the Middle East (Iraq and Afghanistan) for the majority of the past 3.5 years, so I am used to living a very basic lifestyle and don't need much to make me happy.

Perhaps, since CR is smaller than CM, I can base myself in CM and take trips up to CR to see the area's attractions (have seen picutres of the "Golden Triangle" area and really want to go there).

Thanks again for the input...I'm looking foward to at least visiting that area during my half-year trip. :D

If you have 100,000 a month - go and live somewhere decent, unless you're planning to save 75,000 a month!

There are so many people that mix up "Quality Of Life" with "Spending Money" !

If you like to walk in a forrest or see a waterfall, you have to travel 3-4 hours (BKK), 1-2 hours (CM) or 15-20 minutes (CR).

If you want to live and see the real Thailand with ricepaddies, farmers, old villagelife, you cannot find that within 200 km from BKK but you find it 10 minutes outside CR.

If you like to ride/drive in the mountains on bicycle, MC or in a car, you have it just outside CR and the whole province is full of beautiful roads in and to the mountains, beautiful people in interesting villages.

But if you looking for High Spending Shopping then you will like Emporium etc in BKK.

And if you like to spend 1485 baht for a breakfast together with your wife/gf, you can find the place in BKK.

If you like spending a lot of time in rushhour traffic you got it 15 hours a day in BK, 10 hours a day in CM and 2-3 hours aday in CR.

And you can rent a very good house here in CR for 10 - 15 000 baht per month, probably same in CM will be 25 - 35 000 baht and in BKK, just forget it!

Rent a house in CM for 2 weeks and then same in CR and see if you want to go back to CM!

But we all wish you a good time here in Thailand!

:D:);)

• 1 month later...

If you have 100,000 a month - go and live somewhere decent, unless you're planning to save 75,000 a month!

There are so many people that mix up "Quality Of Life" with "Spending Money" !

If you like to walk in a forrest or see a waterfall, you have to travel 3-4 hours (BKK), 1-2 hours (CM) or 15-20 minutes (CR).

If you want to live and see the real Thailand with ricepaddies, farmers, old villagelife, you cannot find that within 200 km from BKK but you find it 10 minutes outside CR.

If you like to ride/drive in the mountains on bicycle, MC or in a car, you have it just outside CR and the whole province is full of beautiful roads in and to the mountains, beautiful people in interesting villages.

But if you looking for High Spending Shopping then you will like Emporium etc in BKK.

And if you like to spend 1485 baht for a breakfast together with your wife/gf, you can find the place in BKK.

If you like spending a lot of time in rushhour traffic you got it 15 hours a day in BK, 10 hours a day in CM and 2-3 hours aday in CR.

And you can rent a very good house here in CR for 10 - 15 000 baht per month, probably same in CM will be 25 - 35 000 baht and in BKK, just forget it!

Rent a house in CM for 2 weeks and then same in CR and see if you want to go back to CM!

But we all wish you a good time here in Thailand!

:D:);)

How would you describe a very good house based on the price ranges you gave? Thanks.

Escondido, here is an example of what is advertized in CR for 12,000, 16,500, and 17,500 a month. Private party prices are usually much less. :D

Newer 2 bedroom house 12,000

http://www.lannareal...w&listingID=409

House on lake 16,500

http://www.lannareal...w&listingID=271

4 bedroom House on property with views 17,500

http://www.lannareal...w&listingID=401

Edited by TacoBoy