Mountain Biking In Phaya Mengrai

villagefarang

Nice looking bike. Is that a new one? Seems completely different to the one in your original photos.

BTW. What is the cycling like up that way in Feb / March? I have been reading that there is a lot of air pollution due to stubble burning in the rice paddies.

Thanks and you are correct in a way. Through a series of upgrades, it is in essence a new bike. There is very little left that hasn’t been upgraded. The latest addition was the frame. The original one was a Trek 4500. This is their slightly higher end 8500 series.

There is usually a three month period where I do not exercise outdoors as it does more harm than good. Part of Feb and definitely March fall in that time frame.

There was actually a little smoke and haze on my ride today but it gets much worse in a couple of months. The conditions were less than ideal for photography but the temperature was nice, and there was a steady breeze, so I even added an additional 10 km to my normal distance.

There is a lot of great riding in the Chiang Rai area but I have to admit I pretty much stick to Phaya Mengrai and my own backyard. If you want to ride in Chiang Rai, now is a very good time to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...