This Time I'M Serious

sceadugenga

The Chiang Rai laptop version of Woodie Guthrie's guitar (this machine kills fascists) is not for this planet much longer.

It resents the Mrs playing even playing the simplest computer games by closing up shop for several hours and I have about 2mb left on the hard drive. Yes I have an external for none essentials.

So I've decided to replace it with a desk top, even if I need to take a laptop anywhere now I'm too decrepit to carry it far.

I thought about 25,000 with printer and UPS.

Technocom has a nice HP all-in-one for 19,990. 4gb memory and 750gb storage. Sounds too good to be true?

I'm going to Chiang Mai today, I'll have prowl at Pantip. Just to get some ideas.

I'll dither in a frenzy of indecision for weeks yet. :(

I checked out HP last year. they do seem to be a bargain.

make sure it comes with a licenced version of windows. It should do , but TIT .

Desktops are so powerful these days, It makes no sense spending more than you need to. Unless your a Gamer or something.

But for browsing the Web , Emails etc. you'll notice no difference between a 20K one and a 60K one.

I got my first desktop in 1980 , 1K RAM I think it had. I got a plug in memory card which gave 16K. The machine was pretty useless but helped me keep my virginity for a few years :)

Come to think of it, the first Mainframe I worked on was an ICL machine, it was the size of about 6 double wardrobes and also had about 4K memory.

Edited by jubby

I almost bought that all-in-one one at Christmas but the specs arent that great, I ended up with a HP desktop with Intel i3 processor and 21.5inch Acer LCD screen for 22,000 baht also from Technocom.

25,000 will get you the next model up, nice piece of kit Scea.

Windows 7 is only standard on the pricier ones, I could have paid 3900baht for genuine W7 or had a 'copy' installed for free. I had a copy of xp for 3 yrs with no problems (updates turned off) so it was a no-brainer.

Edited by skybluestu

Just got back from CM, saw a setup at Pantip Plaza that was my hearts desire. :wub:

All the goodies, 1TB storage, big LED screen, laser printer, UPS total around 20K. -_-

Going back to buy next week.... :)

Unless I change my mind... ;)

Sounds like a deal and well worth the drive to CM!

Just got back from CM, saw a setup at Pantip Plaza that was my hearts desire. :wub:

All the goodies, 1TB storage, big LED screen, laser printer, UPS total around 20K. -_-

Going back to buy next week.... :)

Unless I change my mind... ;)

Scea, Don't do the Thai "Flip Flop" on us :jap:

Edited by TacoBoy

Save your money. You don't need all the bells and whistles. Buy an abacus and an Etch-a Sketch.

LOL. I used to keep a mini etch-a-sketch in my desk drawer, when a mac-user came to me with their broken machine I'd hand them the etch-a-sketch as a backup machine while their's was off for repair...:ph34r:

"Just hold it upside down and shake to reboot..."

C'mon then Scea, don't keep us drooling. Some details please.

Processor, i3, i5, graphics card, memory, HDD etc??????

And of course , which brand.

Where it's coming from is the upstairs shop in Pantip Plaza CM that I think of as selling the ink cartridges... it's the largest shop there anyway. If you want something different to the Asus, HP ready built etc, they take you to the little shop next door which will build to your specs using what ever bits you want from the main store.

I'll be honest, I haven't bought a computer for years, (as anyone who has seen my laptop will vouch) and I haven't kept up with the terminology, I never even knew what i3, i5 was until they talked about it yesterday.

What I want is something I can watch movies on, plenty of storage for same, a little light gaming, good keyboard for typing, a decent printer... not too complex but good reliable stuff. And between my neighbour who knows everything and the geeks in the shop, hopefully that's what I'll end up with.

I think it's a bit like buying a car or a motorbike, the reason there are so many models, colours, etc etc is that most people have different ideas on the ideal machine within their price range.

I'll get back with all the details next week.

I almost bought that all-in-one one at Christmas but the specs arent that great, I ended up with a HP desktop with Intel i3 processor and 21.5inch Acer LCD screen for 22,000 baht also from Technocom.

Windows 7 is only standard on the pricier ones, I could have paid 3900baht for genuine W7 or had a 'copy' installed for free. I had a copy of xp for 3 yrs with no problems (updates turned off) so it was a no-brainer.

There are some new all-in-ones there now that look great, and good deals as well.

I like Technocom, know the guy there and nearly bought on the spot.

The thing with the all-in-ones is I worry about cooling...

Then I saw the 21" screen and was sold on that. My neighbour who knows everything says LEDs are better than LCDs, :unsure:

But the deal in CM was great I was going to save about 5000B for better specs, same standard and I suppose that's hard to beat.

I worry about W7, I know a magic program to use with XP that... err .... well, yeah. But have they got any cleverer?

One can only try.

I think I'll clean the old laptop right and put Linux on it just to see how it goes. I'll confess I'm a Windows man though.

There are some new all-in-ones there now that look great, and good deals as well.

I like Technocom, know the guy there and nearly bought on the spot.

The thing with the all-in-ones is I worry about cooling...

Then I saw the 21" screen and was sold on that. My neighbour who knows everything says LEDs are better than LCDs, :unsure:

But the deal in CM was great I was going to save about 5000B for better specs, same standard and I suppose that's hard to beat.

I worry about W7, I know a magic program to use with XP that... err .... well, yeah. But have they got any cleverer?

One can only try.

I think I'll clean the old laptop right and put Linux on it just to see how it goes. I'll confess I'm a Windows man though.

LED's are better than LCD's but many of the monitors that are advertised as LED aren't actually LED in the same way that one of the new Samsung or Sony TV's are LED. I bought a 21.5inch Acer monitor that said LED but it's actually still LCD but with LED backlighting, very different to true LED.

It sounbds more like your machinme needs a rebuild than anything else. Just clear it down (back up yopur file to your external drive) , frmat the drivem reinstall the OS and it will probably be fine for the next few years. Do you really need the extra speed and power of a new machine? Try it first at least and save yourself 10k if it works for you!

You could try Dell and Lenovo shops in Airport Plaza - or IT City for cheaper (same shop as the one you went to in Panthip it seems - but bigger) - all have deals on at the moment. Don't forget to get a yellow VAT certificate so you can claim the tax back when you pop home next (or a relation does). If you are goign to get a Mac get it at home on your next trip and save 50% of the cost here!

No rebuilds, no Macs.

This laptop has run up to 18 hours a day, virtually non stop since about 2004.

A rebuild would involve a new screen, a new keyboard and a new case. It overheats now when the Mrs plays Zuma.

No Macs, when something goes wrong with a Windows machine, which it does regularly, I can usually fix it myself and I ain't no geek.

Try talking to some Mac owners who have had a problem. :o

No decent Word program, can't cut and paste...

Harrry, I'm not sure what you mean. :unsure:

No rebuilds, no Macs.

A rebuild would involve a new screen, a new keyboard and a new case. It overheats now when the Mrs plays Zuma.

No Macs, when something goes wrong with a Windows machine, which it does regularly, I can usually fix it myself and I ain't no geek.

Well then you might find what it really is worth. :rolleyes:

Don't worry...I am just jealous....keep looking but cant justify a new one for myself yet

No rebuilds, no Macs.

Indeed get a new one.

but don't give up on the old workhorse yet. I run an old laptop for one of the Kids, the screens gone , but I just have a LCD monitor, Mouse and Keyboard plugged in. It sits on one of those cheap huge fan coolers about 50 baht. Its not exactly portable anymore, but you can still use it.

What make is the Laptop Scea. Sounds like a good un

I'll throw in my two bits worth.

I have an HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop that I bought in the US Dec 05.

It's an antique by current standards. Pentium Centrino 1.6 GHz, 2 GB Ram, and don't laugh...a 100 GB HDD :whistling:

Have run it under much the same conditions as scea.

Can't believe it is still functional, but it is.

Of course, I have an external archive HDD for music and photos, and another HDD as my backup drive.

The fan is starting to whine a bit; it's only a matter of time really before the hard drive gives up the ghost after this much use.

I'm seriously considering an all-in-one, either HP or Acer.

Upright on a desk, better cooling in this hot climate, bigger screen, and way better internal hardware and specs in my price range than an equivalent laptop. I want to spend somewhere between 25-30ish THB.

Let us know what you decide on, scea.

Oh, and to make this CR specific- did you find any vendors in Chiang Rai?;)

I had long and serious discussions at Technocom Chiang Rai today.

A name brand ready built system of similar standard to what I looked at at Pantip, with 21" LED screen and HP 2480 printer just over 19K.

All I need to add to that is a UPS, which they couldn't do because I want one that shuts down the system.

Next month when I go to my 1st pot luck, bring a laptop or external drive as I will have 16 gigs on 2 thumb drives of oldie but goodie music of 50/60/70/80's music and feel free to copy.

Ever tried Grooveshark - free music online (radio and selective) - its huge - use it all the time at home when I'm working, bit of background music.