This Time I'M Serious

sceadugenga

Next month when I go to my 1st pot luck, bring a laptop or external drive as I will have 16 gigs on 2 thumb drives of oldie but goodie music of 50/60/70/80's music and feel free to copy.

Ever tried Grooveshark - free music online (radio and selective) - its huge - use it all the time at home when I'm working, bit of background music.

No, never did. However, I do have about a total of 20,000 songs/music (200 gigs of just music) on my external hard drive, including Christian, Opera, big bands, broadway, Christmas, etc. Got it all legally.

I had long and serious discussions at Technocom Chiang Rai today.

A name brand ready built system of similar standard to what I looked at at Pantip, with 21" LED screen and HP 2480 printer just over 19K.

All I need to add to that is a UPS, which they couldn't do because I want one that shuts down the system.

If you're buying a UPS you need an APC. All the rest is dross.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it was explained to me that they must have software that shuts down your computer if you're not able to do it yourself after a power failure.

APC offer this facility.

Hi Scea and other interested.

I bought a UPS at Technocom today, an Ablerex, and that one shuts down the computer and can also send SMS and/or email when something happens. I just installed the software and it is very good. I can see exactly how much power coming in, frequency and power out.

I came home from Bangkok Friday afternoon with my new baby that I got built in Panthip Plaza in Bangkok. It is a beautiful machine with all whistles and bells you can imagine. It was about 60% of the price if I bought the same machine here in CR. I was adviced by a friend to talk to a serious company and they were good. I have checked the market here in Thailand and for a few items they were a 50-100 baht more expensive than the cheapest I found but most of the time they were cheapest. I got quotes from other companies in BKK that were 25-40 % more expensive. A company that been there for many years, they have 4 stores in BKK.

But they only sell parts and if you want, put it all together.

PM me if someone wants details!

:D:):D

Scea. WIN7 is pretty bulletproof. Just like XP was.

It looks like it was designed for teenagers & it probably was. It is like XP on steroids.

Control panel has about 50 items ( I use Ultimate 64) the auto update feature works well & you can learn how to customize it online.

You can turn off the annoying balloons & popups.

Things like wallpaper you get online. I have an "unofficial" version but it works fine & no annoying WGA issues or whatever they call it nowadays.

Windows Defender went head to head with IOBIT 360 & WD won. So that's pretty cool. Install AVAST free version & Ad-Aware free version, Firefox Beta version & you are all set.

Yes, it was explained to me that they must have software that shuts down your computer if you're not able to do it yourself after a power failure.

APC offer this facility.

Hi Scea and other interested.

I bought a UPS at Technocom today, an Ablerex, and that one shuts down the computer and can also send SMS and/or email when something happens. I just installed the software and it is very good. I can see exactly how much power coming in, frequency and power out.

I came home from Bangkok Friday afternoon with my new baby that I got built in Panthip Plaza in Bangkok. It is a beautiful machine with all whistles and bells you can imagine. It was about 60% of the price if I bought the same machine here in CR. I was adviced by a friend to talk to a serious company and they were good. I have checked the market here in Thailand and for a few items they were a 50-100 baht more expensive than the cheapest I found but most of the time they were cheapest. I got quotes from other companies in BKK that were 25-40 % more expensive. A company that been there for many years, they have 4 stores in BKK.

But they only sell parts and if you want, put it all together.

PM me if someone wants details!

:D:):D

Svenivan, I saw the specs on your system over on the computer forum. Terrific setup! Does Pansonics have a web site? I Googled a bit and couldn't find one.