Calling A Cm Mobil Number From The States?

highonthai

I have been trying to phone a friend in Chiang Mai on their mobil and keep getting a message center recording? Is it that the phone does not reconize my U.S. number?

I have tried to dial the number 07####### but a U.S. recording tells me "I do not need to dial a 0 when calling this number". When I drop the 0 it goes to some message center?

Am I doing something wrong?

Back state side now.

Thanks

Edited by highonthai

I have tried to dial the number 07####### but a U.S. recording tells me "I do not need to dial a 0 when calling this number". When I drop the 0 it goes to some message center?

Not including the '0' is correct. If the call is immediately kicking over to the message center, your friend may have their phone turned off or be similarly unavailable.

I have been trying to phone a friend in Chiang Mai on their mobil and keep getting a message center recording? Is it that the phone does not reconize my U.S. number?

Back state side now.

Thanks

I just dial 011 country code and the number . thats it

Back state side now.

Thanks

jrincon17,

Are you saying that you do not drop the 0 and the call still goes through?

Back state side now.

Thanks

jrincon17,

Are you saying that you do not drop the 0 and the call still goes through?

Yes, you dial 011-66-7####### (withouit the leading zero before the first digit).

If you have a broadband (highspeed) Internet connection, download Skype or another Voice Over IP (VOiP) program (Skype is for free) and use your credit card to transfer money to your SkypeOut account. You will need to connect a headset to your computer.

This way you can call Thailand much cheaper than from most landlines. If the person in Thailand has Skype set up on his/her computer, you do not need to use the regular telephone network at all, and you will not pay anything extra for the call, except for what you already pay for your internet connection.

Using regular landlines for international calls makes little sense nowadays.

If you have a broadband (highspeed) Internet connection, download Skype or another Voice Over IP (VOiP) program (Skype is for free) and use your credit card to transfer money to your SkypeOut account. You will need to connect a headset to your computer.

This way you can call Thailand much cheaper than from most landlines. If the person in Thailand has Skype set up on his/her computer, you do not need to use the regular telephone network at all, and you will not pay anything extra for the call, except for what you already pay for your internet connection.

Using regular landlines for international calls makes little sense nowadays.

Absolutely correct Meadish! And so far, I have usually found that a broadband comp to comp connection is far more clear than using regular telephones.

Also with Skype there are some other great features. Voicemail (which you get free for 3 months if you charge up your SkypeOut account through Paypal with $10 or €10). SkypeOut is good for calling anyone you need to who does not have a good internet connection at great rates from anywhere in the world (2 cents per minute to many countries); Storing numbers for instant recall is simple;

For about $3.75 per month you can have a SkypeIn number (which also comes with free voicemail). This means that friends, family or business contacts in other countries who do not have Skype will be able to call you from a telephone to a local (to them) number to reach you and it will automatically go to your computer telephone system in Thailand. They won't even know that you are in Thailand or that the call is not going to a normal telephone.

SkypeIn numbers from the following countries are available: United States, United Kingdom, France, Denmark, Poland, Estonia, Sweden, Finland and Hong Kong S.A.R., China. If you have people calling to you from a country other than these than choose a country to which they can call cheaply.

Additionally Skype has instant online itemization of all calls, even the ones that don't answer and have no charge. Another bonus for paying through PayPal is that you get an additional $2.60 added to your account.

Happy phoning! :o

One additional comment. You can try using Skype even if you only have a good dial-up. Not verified, but I have heard of it working on dial-up (though the quality will drop dramatically, I'm sure). It may be good enough though for free comp to comp calling. Even with broadband I would just try free comp to comp at first and see how it goes.

BTW, their web address is www.skype.com

One additional comment.  You can try using Skype even if you only have a good dial-up.  Not verified, but I have heard of it working on dial-up (though the quality will drop dramatically, I'm sure).  It may be good enough though for free comp to comp calling.  Even with broadband I would just try free comp to comp at first and see how it goes.

BTW, their web address is www.skype.com

Can verify the dial-up. Used to use it on 56k, before I got ADSL and started using Vonage. Still use Skype for friends with Skype though.

What is it about Vonage that you prefer over Skype?  Also does it lack anything that Skype has? 

I have never tried it.    :o

Vonage will work with any other telephone for calls outgoing or incoming. Skype has just now started Skypein, in beta, so theoretically you can do the same things, however, on a computer setup only, I believe, whereas Vonage (there are other VOIP services as well) just has its own box into which my portable phone plugs in, so I can use it in the house/yard. I use it for my export business, 50 bucks a month, unlimited incoming/outgoing, 800 number, and free fax line. So for small business, I need Vonage features. For personal use, Skype is fine.

Back state side now.

Thanks

When I call a mobile phone in Chiang Mai I dail the 01166 add a 1 then the phone number ie 01166 1 980 xxxx no area code is necessary