International Schools With Moderate School Fees

suerays

crikey it's depressing reading this with my first boy about a year away from entering primary school and another not far behind....

i've been researching this topic pretty diligently for months now by reading forums, looking at the school websites and brochures, trawling through the various other sites that feature reviews of the schools in thailand and canvassing the opinions of other parants i know with kids in school in thailand with the desire to make the considered choice my kids deserve.

we're free to live pretty much anywhere in thailand as i work offshore and would gladly move to the place with the best schools for the kids, so location wasn't a factor it really came down to which school was best.

i had hoped given the time and effort i have put in by now that i would be nearing some sort of conclusion about where to send the kids. but i keep experiencing the same thing - namely that all the schools are damned in one place or another - most of them indeed are widely damned - and even schools widely regarded as the "best" still come in for some pretty convincingly argued and severe criticism - by that i mean arguments and points made convincingly enough that if they were about a school private or otherwise in the uk i would run a mile!

given all this i think in all likelihood, we'll educate the kids until the end of primary school here, then move back to the uk.

shame, really .....

If you are able to live anywhere inThailand, would Chiang Mai not be a better bet? nicer place and much cheaper than BKK IMHO. Good range of intl schools at a range of prices.

crikey it's depressing reading this with my first boy about a year away from entering primary school and another not far behind....

i've been researching this topic pretty diligently for months now by reading forums, looking at the school websites and brochures, trawling through the various other sites that feature reviews of the schools in thailand and canvassing the opinions of other parants i know with kids in school in thailand with the desire to make the considered choice my kids deserve.

we're free to live pretty much anywhere in thailand as i work offshore and would gladly move to the place with the best schools for the kids, so location wasn't a factor it really came down to which school was best.

i had hoped given the time and effort i have put in by now that i would be nearing some sort of conclusion about where to send the kids. but i keep experiencing the same thing - namely that all the schools are damned in one place or another - most of them indeed are widely damned - and even schools widely regarded as the "best" still come in for some pretty convincingly argued and severe criticism - by that i mean arguments and points made convincingly enough that if they were about a school private or otherwise in the uk i would run a mile!

given all this i think in all likelihood, we'll educate the kids until the end of primary school here, then move back to the uk.

shame, really .....

If you are able to live anywhere inThailand, would Chiang Mai not be a better bet? nicer place and much cheaper than BKK IMHO. Good range of intl schools at a range of prices.

funny you should say that - i've just been looking at the CM international schools - any advice?

(think i'll start a thread on this ;) )

I have to laugh. I pay over 100,000 THB per year to send my 4 year old to "international" kindergarten. 90% of her classes are in Thai, which I knew from the start and she has 1 English class per week, but she has learned nothing in that class. The only English she learns is through me on weekends and after school.

Last month one of her teachers told my wife that my daughter doesn't pay ettention in class...in fact she stated that she is the only student in the class that does not pay attention and that she needs us, as parents to teach her at home because my daughter won't listen to them. This comment I find absolutely staggering in its stupidity. Where to start?? How many farken 4 year olds pay attention? A quick search on Google and paediatricians state that 4 year olds have an attention span of about 15 minutes. So I am paying these clowns 100k for this level of lazy, ignorant, thick-headed education. It is a pity that I had just paid fees for the term as I would have moved her to another school had I been pre-warned.

• Like 1

I have to laugh. I pay over 100,000 THB per year to send my 4 year old to "international" kindergarten. 90% of her classes are in Thai, which I knew from the start and she has 1 English class per week, but she has learned nothing in that class. The only English she learns is through me on weekends and after school.

Last month one of her teachers told my wife that my daughter doesn't pay ettention in class...in fact she stated that she is the only student in the class that does not pay attention and that she needs us, as parents to teach her at home because my daughter won't listen to them. This comment I find absolutely staggering in its stupidity. Where to start?? How many farken 4 year olds pay attention? A quick search on Google and paediatricians state that 4 year olds have an attention span of about 15 minutes. So I am paying these clowns 100k for this level of lazy, ignorant, thick-headed education. It is a pity that I had just paid fees for the term as I would have moved her to another school had I been pre-warned.

Which kindergarden is that?

Which kindergarden is that?

It is on Krungthep Kreetha, off Sri Nakarin Rd, near my house, so I am doubtful you would know it.

• 2 weeks later...

My son went to a moderately-priced International School in Bangkok from the age of 3 to 5 years old. Nothing wrong with the school, strong parental input, lots of feedback. 40K per term. We then moved back to UK and he entered a good countryside government school. Free, good activities (not quite the choice), more social activities and superb teachers. I expected his ability in phonics, general knowledge and basic maths to exceed the other children but 10 months on....he's actually slightly behind with phonics, reading and pronunciation and equal with maths and art. In Bangkok he was as good as others. From not being able to read to being able to read simple books has taken him 5 months of enjoyable classes. I expected him to be at an advantage but in actual fact the teaching and style in England was better than I expected and at 5 years old they're ready to learn and concentrate a lot more. I'd definitely say to any parents expecting to enter their child in the UK system at 5...think twice about stretching yourself financially in Bangkok thinking it will do them a favour.

• 2 weeks later...

My son went to a moderately-priced International School in Bangkok from the age of 3 to 5 years old. Nothing wrong with the school, strong parental input, lots of feedback. 40K per term. We then moved back to UK and he entered a good countryside government school. Free, good activities (not quite the choice), more social activities and superb teachers. I expected his ability in phonics, general knowledge and basic maths to exceed the other children but 10 months on....he's actually slightly behind with phonics, reading and pronunciation and equal with maths and art. In Bangkok he was as good as others. From not being able to read to being able to read simple books has taken him 5 months of enjoyable classes. I expected him to be at an advantage but in actual fact the teaching and style in England was better than I expected and at 5 years old they're ready to learn and concentrate a lot more. I'd definitely say to any parents expecting to enter their child in the UK system at 5...think twice about stretching yourself financially in Bangkok thinking it will do them a favour.

Was the school he was attending in Bangkok also based on the British curriculum?

Living in Singapore at the moment and our 3 year old is in a Modernmontessori Pre-School Centre.

I see that they also have a centre in Bangkok, not sure of the price there but it certainly ain't cheap here.

The centre is very good though.

My worry is when we do leave here and move back to Thailand, she will be approaching 5 by then.

Anyone had any experience with St Stephens in Khao Yai ?

http://www.sis.edu/khaoyai/nc-primary.php

To be honest, I think the prices here in Thailand for international schools are a total rip off, if you compare them to public (private) schools in the UK. As you say, they know they can charge what they want - it's probably cheaper to send kids to the UK to study.

It's not like they are getting a world class education either. Some fat cats are sitting on a pile of money.

I disagree - although over priced- i believe that the top schools -NIST, ISB Pattana - give kids a better education & experience than anything available in the free public school system in US/UK/Australia and also equal and in many cases better than private schools in those countries too.

Sure, that is your opinion. I have worked in Thailand for the last 12 years straight and have the opportunity to talk to expats whose kids study at NIST, Pattana etc on a weekly basis and very few of them share your opinion.

I think it depends on where 'back home' you come from.

I have spoken to teachers in International schools in a few countries that used to work in inner city schools in UK (Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester) who tell me that kids in international schools overseas get a better education than in UK in those sort of locations.

I'm sure there are some good schools in those places but not all kids can go to the 1 or 2 best schools around.

I was dumped in a massive comprehensive school in Yorkshire 77, the whole surrounding community sebsequently collasped by the the onslaught of the Miners Strike whilst I approached leaving age.

There were about 2000 pupils.........I hated every minute.

• Like 1

I am determined not to let my child suffer the same fate.

My games teacher was queer, my class spent as much time in the showers than we did playing sports. This gay <deleted> hovering around us all the time.

If we expressed no real focus on a career we were labelled as " going down't pit". Ironic that't pit shut soon after my leaving the sh*t hole.

England, best to stick it where the sun don't shine. Thinking about it, the sun don't shine there much anyway. Says it all really.

Reading this thread as someone who left Thailand to return to the UK when my first child was aged one, I feel it is difficult to compare the international schools to UK state schools in general.

The crucial factor in the UK is LOCATION. This is especially crucial at Primary level, where in most places outside London if you plonk yourself in the right area (usually a suburban or semi-rural area) you can get an outstanding school. The whole location factor tends to snowball, leading to good headteacher, good teachers with low turnover, great teaching assistants (despite very low wages in good areas you can get some outstanding people who don't necessarily need to concern themselves with money too much), and kids generally from stable, high-achieving families. I've also been suprised by the curriculum - imagined it being rigid but it seems wonderful - teaching all the basics around various topics which keep the kids enthusiatic, e.g. dinosaurs, under the sea etc. Teaching social skills, empathy, right and wrong etc is also done very well and highly emphasized.

It is true that the above scenario gets more difficult as kids move up to secondary school. The location factor still holds but due to the greatly increased size it is much more "comprehensive" in various ways. Which makes me wonder about people saying "we'll go back to the UK when he/she gets to high school age". I'd worry by doing this you'd be missing the best part of the UK system, and arguably the most important in terms of the child's educational and emotional/social foundations.

Edited by charles

I am priced out of a move back to the UK.

To buy a place, need a mortgage and job and with the big 50 in sight a morgage is the last thing I need to be looking at(if I could get one).

No, its not an option really, it sounds like out of the frying pan into the fire.

I have zero assets in the UK.

Edited by soihok

• 1 year later...

As someone who went to both Patana and Harrow (Bangkok) and underwent tertiary education in Greater London I concur with Volvox's summary.

The facilities in the top-tier Thai international schools are truly world class.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! Though I realise these posts are made somewhat a while ago, I would like to chip in my (slightly differing, and possibly rose-tinted) perspective on this. I am an alumni of Bangkok Patana, and currently on a full scholarship to study at Cambridge. I was fortunate enough to attend the school from year 2 (prior to this I attended a Canadian pre school called Early Learning Centre) right through to year 13 so I have been around to see several changes implemented over my time there!

I am aware that many of you have qualms dipping into your pockets for what would be around 15k pounds of tuition/ year for some of the best international schools in thailand; (Yes, my parents frequently complained about this to both my brother and I) but I believe that patana has offered me some unrivalled opportunities that I've only now have begun to appreciate.

i) facilities: Each time I go back, the school has become increasingly developed - any of you who had the chance to visit the campus would agree it is one of the prettiest campuses around (complete with intelligent koi fish). I was quite shocked when I first arrived at Cambridge, that despite the world reputation, Patana boasts better facilities, such as our DT workshops and arts theatre, not to mention our sports pitches.

ii) connections: Ultimately for many of you, the aim of sending your child to an international school while in Thailand is so that they stand a good chance of getting into a good university. If your child is naturally brilliant, then he/she would already have the capabilities of going on - and getting into- some of the best unis. However, if your child is average (like me), having connections and experience in sending students to great unis just gives them an extra edge to it. I, for one, would've not have dreamt of applying to cambridge, nor heard of the scholarship I'm on, if not for alumni coming in and shown that it was indeed possible to do so. To slightly deviate, this is pretty much the premise of Eton and the likes of private schools in the UK - getting into oxbridge. If you are still skeptical about the power for alumni inspiring students, Cambridge runs an access scheme aimed at state schools where they get current cambridge students from a state school background to encourage students to apply, increasing applications by over 20%.

iii) opportunities: To be fair, many of the students in my time (and I also) did not fully comprehend these opportunities at the time. Chance to interview the teachers? check. Chance to implement the school-wide laptop policy? check. Chance to come up with a full scaled charity art auction, get the parents to invite their friends to buy art, and raise 200k+bht for raped women? check. More importantly, do not underestimate the power of friendships forged during highschool - many of the elite send their kids to these schools, potentially a friend of your kids.

I had a cracking time at BPS, however, admittedly, I did a lot of self-studying. Though some of the teachers were probably the best you can get for IB - there is an inspiring biology teacher who writes a website which many IB teachers from other school uses, a maths teacher (cambridge grad) who have yet to fail answer any maths questions (yes, we've tried masters-level questions at him), from personal experience - there are, unfortunately, teachers who have little classroom control, albeit nice.

*A note about comparing BPS etc to top state schools or even private schools in the UK - top state schools are selective academically; top private schools are selective BOTH academically and financially. Most are older; centuries at least, thus the time to generate illustrious civil servant alumni.

You almost sold me that school for my two kids. But I looked at the prices.. OMG! 250.000 in entrance fee. I could accept the tuition fees, at least I know what I get for that, but the entrance fee. What is that for?

Hi there! Though I realise these posts are made somewhat a while ago, I would like to chip in my (slightly differing, and possibly rose-tinted) perspective on this. I am an alumni of Bangkok Patana, and currently on a full scholarship to study at Cambridge. I was fortunate enough to attend the school from year 2 (prior to this I attended a Canadian pre school called Early Learning Centre) right through to year 13 so I have been around to see several changes implemented over my time there!

I am aware that many of you have qualms dipping into your pockets for what would be around 15k pounds of tuition/ year for some of the best international schools in thailand; (Yes, my parents frequently complained about this to both my brother and I) but I believe that patana has offered me some unrivalled opportunities that I've only now have begun to appreciate.

i) facilities: Each time I go back, the school has become increasingly developed - any of you who had the chance to visit the campus would agree it is one of the prettiest campuses around (complete with intelligent koi fish). I was quite shocked when I first arrived at Cambridge, that despite the world reputation, Patana boasts better facilities, such as our DT workshops and arts theatre, not to mention our sports pitches.

ii) connections: Ultimately for many of you, the aim of sending your child to an international school while in Thailand is so that they stand a good chance of getting into a good university. If your child is naturally brilliant, then he/she would already have the capabilities of going on - and getting into- some of the best unis. However, if your child is average (like me), having connections and experience in sending students to great unis just gives them an extra edge to it. I, for one, would've not have dreamt of applying to cambridge, nor heard of the scholarship I'm on, if not for alumni coming in and shown that it was indeed possible to do so. To slightly deviate, this is pretty much the premise of Eton and the likes of private schools in the UK - getting into oxbridge. If you are still skeptical about the power for alumni inspiring students, Cambridge runs an access scheme aimed at state schools where they get current cambridge students from a state school background to encourage students to apply, increasing applications by over 20%.

iii) opportunities: To be fair, many of the students in my time (and I also) did not fully comprehend these opportunities at the time. Chance to interview the teachers? check. Chance to implement the school-wide laptop policy? check. Chance to come up with a full scaled charity art auction, get the parents to invite their friends to buy art, and raise 200k+bht for raped women? check. More importantly, do not underestimate the power of friendships forged during highschool - many of the elite send their kids to these schools, potentially a friend of your kids.

I had a cracking time at BPS, however, admittedly, I did a lot of self-studying. Though some of the teachers were probably the best you can get for IB - there is an inspiring biology teacher who writes a website which many IB teachers from other school uses, a maths teacher (cambridge grad) who have yet to fail answer any maths questions (yes, we've tried masters-level questions at him), from personal experience - there are, unfortunately, teachers who have little classroom control, albeit nice.

*A note about comparing BPS etc to top state schools or even private schools in the UK - top state schools are selective academically; top private schools are selective BOTH academically and financially. Most are older; centuries at least, thus the time to generate illustrious civil servant alumni.

You almost sold me that school for my two kids. But I looked at the prices.. OMG! 250.000 in entrance fee. I could accept the tuition fees, at least I know what I get for that, but the entrance fee. What is that for?

GREED like many things here, nothing but greed.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information regarding this school. I have already spoken to them, and am planning on visiting them as well. However, first hand knowledge, opinions ext, are always helpful!

International Pioneers School
ips ac th
International Pioneers School (IPS), Bangkok s Official Website.
Google+ page - Write a review
Khlong Ton Sai, Khlong San Bangkok 10600
02 862 3030

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information regarding this school. I have already spoken to them, and am planning on visiting them as well. However, first hand knowledge, opinions ext, are always helpful!

ips ac th

02 862 3030

I visited this school once. I understand the fees here are low, this is reflected in the facilities which were distinctly lacking. I did get the impression that the environment was friendly and intentions were good but I have strong doubts about the quality of the education.

If you can't afford the likes of Patana, Harrow, Shrewsbury, ISB, Regents, St. Andrews 71 etc then you might want to look into Prasarnmit. I haven't visited the place personally but I have heard that the quality of education is good for the price, perhaps the best bang for your buck in Bangkok, they run IGCSE etc also. I understand Charter is a good school that has made leaps and bounds in recent years as is Bangkok prep.

Stay well clear of Siam international, Keerapat and Pan-Asia. These are appalling schools run by highly incompetent and immoral people.

ips ac th

02 862 3030

I visited this school once. I understand the fees here are low, this is reflected in the facilities which were distinctly lacking. I did get the impression that the environment was friendly and intentions were good but I have strong doubts about the quality of the education.

If you can't afford the likes of Patana, Harrow, Shrewsbury, ISB, Regents, St. Andrews 71 etc then you might want to look into Prasarnmit. I haven't visited the place personally but I have heard that the quality of education is good for the price, perhaps the best bang for your buck in Bangkok, they run IGCSE etc also. I understand Charter is a good school that has made leaps and bounds in recent years as is Bangkok prep.

Stay well clear of Siam international, Keerapat and Pan-Asia. These are appalling schools run by highly incompetent and immoral people.

I appreciate the response. I did look at Prasarnmit online, however it's out of our budget as well as a good distance from where I live. Charter seems nice online, but again not within my budget. Our son won't start school until next year (K1). We have narrowed it down to Lertlah and International Pioneers School. However, Lertlah is the leading contender due to the quality of NES in the school that I have met. I should mention we have yet to visit Pioneers as we have a little time.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This conversation really ground to a halt.

Yep. Hard to get ay real info on this subject here. I guess it's not of interest to most. I've resorted to trawling teaching forums as they love talking about this kind of stuff.

• 1 month later...