International Schools With Moderate School Fees

suerays

crikey it's depressing reading this with my first boy about a year away from entering proper primary school...

i've been researching this topic pretty diligently for weeks now by reading forums, looking at the school websites and brochures, trawling through the various other sites that feature reviews of the schools in thailand and canvassing the opinions of other parants i know with kids in school in thailand with the desire to make the considered choice my kids deserve.

i had hoped given the time and effort i have put in by now that i would be nearing some sort of conclusion, but i keep experiencing the same thing - namely that all the schools are damned in one place or another and even schools widely regarded as the "best" still come in for some pretty convincingly argued and severe criticism - by that i mean arguments and points made convincingly enough that if they were about a school private or otherwise in the uk i would run a mile!

given all this i think the best advice all told is to educate the kids until the end of primary school here, then move back to the uk.

shame, really .....

Don't be too negative- if you can afford one of the top schools- NIST, ISB, Pattana- then your kid will get a world class education (certainly much better than a comprehensive back in the UK) , i also would also say that the 2nd tier schools (e.g. St Andrews type) are also better than a comp back in the UK..
I was in the same boat and just got to the point where I just bit the bullet and coughed up. Worth it? Of course for one of these schools mentioned. What I save in taxes back home go to school fees here. From that perspective (maybe convenient justification) then the fees make more sense. Would I prefer not to shell out 19k per year, of course. But there you go. Edited by samran

Funny you should add to this post now Samran, as I've just decided to decamp with the family back to the uk. Education was definitely a factor, but a new pay deal where my employer has agreed to cover my uk taxes was the deal breaker!

That said, since my original post my oldest has had his first 2 years primary and the youngest a year of preschool at a mid tier school in Thailand close to where we live (St Stephens @ Khao Yai) and I am very happy with the schooling, care and environment they experienced there. We could have stayed and almost did and I'd have been happy to leave them there until the oldest was about to reach high school and thereafter would have wanted to get them into the UK further learning - both in school and outside of it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Funny you should add to this post now Samran, as I've just decided to decamp with the family back to the uk. Education was definitely a factor, but a new pay deal where my employer has agreed to cover my uk taxes was the deal breaker!

That said, since my original post my oldest has had his first 2 years primary and the youngest a year of preschool at a mid tier school in Thailand close to where we live (St Stephens @ Khao Yai) and I am very happy with the schooling, care and environment they experienced there. We could have stayed and almost did and I'd have been happy to leave them there until the oldest was about to reach high school and thereafter would have wanted to get them into the UK further learning - both in school and outside of it.

Good luck with the move back. I've come to realise that in life the timing is never perfect, but it sounds like you have a good deal, so go for it!

• 1 month later...

Did you use the lawyer in Wood Park for a divorce ?

Got to agree with expatj, the top schools here are way better than government schools in the USA, UK and Australia. I have mates, working colleagues, who have kids at ISB, Ruamrudee and Patana and they are happy with pretty much everything. The quality of the teachers and students, the facilities, the sports, the out of school experiences and more. It seems normal for these schools to send students to Cambridge, Stanford, Cornell etc every year. Chula seems to be a step down for them when they do not get parental consent to go abroad and ordinary kids go to UCLA, NY, Monash, or Manchester. Scholarships are the norm.

Problem being that these schools employ quality teachers. The French teacher is from France, the mathematics teacher writes texts, the science guy is an IB examiner etc. Get the picture.

Normal Thais go to Thai schools, sad. Rich people or those working for a company with an expat package go to the top schools. Sounds like USA or UK right?

It is tough when you fall in between those two stools. Want better than a local school but not on a package or a big bank account.

One mate of mine home schools.

• Like 1

Next fall, it's now between Bangkok Prep or Wells for our child. Coming from the US public school system, I believe it's an obvious upgrade at just about every level. The cost is certainly a difficult pill to swallow, as its all on my dime. But with all that these two schools offer, their "moderate" fees, and the BTS commute each day, again I believe it's a big upgrade from the California public school we're leaving.

I know that ISB, Harrow, Patana etc... are tier 1 but I don't really understand which other schools are considered tier 2 other then St.Andrews 71.

Any decent ones in central Bangkok?

The whole tier system is very subjective. I will only comment on the British (English NC) schools I have knowledge of, so the list is far from complete.

A few other second tier schools would be:

Ruamrudee (if the information above is correct, their fees may be top tier - shockingly high actually - however, they are certainly not considered among the elite)

Bromsgrove

St. Stephen's

Bangkok Prep

The Regent's

Ascot....for Primary, possibly...just.

Definitely not:

Heathfield

Traill, although they are closer than Heathfield.

________

If you are looking at second tier schools, St Andrew's would be the choice if a child has SEN needs. Bangkok Prep and Bromsgrove are on the up, have ambition, and are very good schools. Bromsgrove especially would be worth looking at if your child is a boarder, or if they have golfing ambitions.

If it were my money and my child, Bangkok Patana, followed by Shrewsbury look the best options (and value for money).

There are so many factors to consider though, and my advice would be to visit the schools and get a feel for the place. Look beyond nice, shiny buildings and the facilities such as swimming pools and performing arts theatres. Don't just look at exam results, and the universities the student body has gained entry to either - it's natural a selective school will have great exam results - the question is, how much value did the school add?

Some of my questions I would ask, and the things I would look for are:

Is the teaching body stable; and by that, I mean are teachers staying long-term? if they have a high turnover, something is wrong. What are the class sizes, and if in Primary, does each class have a full-time TA? Visit the classrooms; do they look clean, well stocked and functional? Don't be swayed by overtly impressive displays - displays should be current, and either informative or showing off the children's work - nothing else. If a classroom has too much on the walls, it does neither. I would be especially wary of a classroom where the displays are too good. I know that seems strange, but for me it is style over substance. The TAs may have spent hours or days putting them together - these hours should have be utilised working with the children.

Is the library well stocked? Ask to see it! What extra curricular activities do they offer, and at what cost? What music and sports programmes are available?

If your child is bilingual, or not a first language English speaker, what support is there - Intensive Engish and/or EAL support - in the classroom, withdrawal, or both?

I could go on.....but I won't. I am welcome to PM's though.

To quantify my opinions, I will let you know that I am a senior manager at one of the schools I have mentioned above. I came from an OFSTED rated 'oustanding' school, as an 'oustsanding' teacher. Even so, it was not easy to get a job in Bangkok; it is one of the most sought after locations.

My child goes to the school I am at, and I am genrally happy. My opinion is based on what is the best as a teacher, for my child, and as a parent - not what is best for a business (ajarntommy222, be ashamed).

Edited by LucidLucifer
  • Like 2

I know that ISB, Harrow, Patana etc... are tier 1 but I don't really understand which other schools are considered tier 2 other then St.Andrews 71.

Any decent ones in central Bangkok?

The whole tier system is very subjective. I will only comment on the British (English NC) schools I have knowledge of, so the list is far from complete.

A few other second tier schools would be:

Ruamrudee (if the information above is correct, their fees may be top tier - shockingly high actually - however, they are certainly not considered among the elite)

Bromsgrove

St. Stephen's

Bangkok Prep

The Regent's

Ascot....for Primary, possibly...just.

Definitely not:

Heathfield

Traill, although they are closer than Heathfield.

________

If you are looking at second tier schools, St Andrew's would be the choice if a child has SEN needs. Bangkok Prep and Bromsgrove are on the up, have ambition, and are very good schools. Bromsgrove especially would be worth looking at if your child is a boarder, or if they have golfing ambitions.

If it were my money and my child, Bangkok Patana, followed by Shrewsbury look the best options (and value for money).

There are so many factors to consider though, and my advice would be to visit the schools and get a feel for the place. Look beyond nice, shiny buildings and the facilities such as swimming pools and performing arts theatres. Don't just look at exam results, and the universities the student body has gained entry to either - it's natural a selective school will have great exam results - the question is, how much value did the school add?

Some of my questions I would ask, and the things I would look for are:

Is the teaching body stable; and by that, I mean are teachers staying long-term? if they have a high turnover, something is wrong. What are the class sizes, and if in Primary, does each class have a full-time TA? Visit the classrooms; do they look clean, well stocked and functional? Don't be swayed by overtly impressive displays - displays should be current, and either informative or showing off the children's work - nothing else. If a classroom has too much on the walls, it does neither. I would be especially wary of a classroom where the displays are too good. I know that seems strange, but for me it is style over substance. The TAs may have spent hours or days putting them together - these hours should have be utilised working with the children.

Is the library well stocked? Ask to see it! What extra curricular activities do they offer, and at what cost? What music and sports programmes are available?

If your child is bilingual, or not a first language English speaker, what support is there - Intensive Engish and/or EAL support - in the classroom, withdrawal, or both?

I could go on.....but I won't. I am welcome to PM's though.

To quantify my opinions, I will let you know that I am a senior manager at one of the schools I have mentioned above. I came from an OFSTED rated 'oustanding' school, as an 'oustsanding' teacher. Even so, it was not easy to get a job in Bangkok; it is one of the most sought after locations.

My child goes to the school I am at, and I am genrally happy. My opinion is based on what is the best as a teacher, for my child, and as a parent - not what is best for a business (ajarntommy222, be ashamed).

Excellent observations. Exclude the Regent's though, a Thai owner who would prefer to have a new Hummer or helicopter rather than chemicals in the Science dept., or books in the English dept., or computers in the ICT labs - you get my drift?

• 3 months later...

Well the thing is, international schools don't get subsidised therefore the pricces appear high. But here in Singapore and Japan as well the prices are even higher. These kind of things you need to consider when moving abroad with kids. Education is important so if local schools are no option and you can not afford the internation schools choose for the best in your home country.

• 2 months later...

I just wrote a post about how my school as gone Organic and uses no MSG or processed foods. I then came across this thread and saw that the British Early Years Centre wasn't even mentioned in this thread! This school is setting new standards in Thailand not only through its curriculum and staff but also its ethical standing and beliefs. Please, if you are a parent looking for a quality early years setting you have to come visit it. (I should get commission for this haha)

Edited by Scott
Direct link removed.