Phuket Tuk-Tuk Fares In The Firing Line

webfact

Phuket tuk-tuk fares in the firing line

phuket-1-AVXwSSo.jpg

Tuk-tuks in Patong may soon be held to a maximum fare for local journeys.

Photo: Apinun Saithong

PHUKET: -- A provincial committee set up to find a solution to the old problem of tuk-tuk drivers overcharging tourists in Phuket will start by setting a maximum 200 baht charge for any tuk-tuk journey within Patong.

The committee, chaired by Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha, met at Phuket Provincial Hall earlier today.

Also in attendance were committee members Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen, Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office Chief Kanok Siripanichkorn, Patong Taxi Federation President Preechavude “Prab” Keesin, Kathu District Chief Siriphat Phathakul, and Kathu Traffic Police Chief Lt Col Jakkawat Boontawegunsawat.

The committee members agreed to set a maximum fare of 200 baht for tuk-tuk travel within Patong, as well as standard fares from Jungceylon to various destinations on the island.

A few samples of the rates from a list distributed at the meeting showed the following:

Airport: 800 baht (one way); 1,500 baht (round trip)

Laguna: 600 baht (one way); 1,100 baht (round trip)

Karon Beach: 300 baht (one way); 600 baht (round trip)

Phuket Town: 500 baht (one way); 600 baht (round trip)

Phuket Deep Sea Port: 650 baht (one way); 1,200 baht (round trip)

A total of 43 locations were included on the list.

Mr Prab said members of his Patong Taxi Federation, which comprises about 85% of service vehicles in Patong, would abide by the rates.

For taxi and tuk-tuk trips within Patong the drivers would also agree to charge a maximum of 200 baht, but with the option to charge extra on a per head basis if the number of passengers exceeded four.

“Tourists aren’t too concerned with the fare from Patong to different parts of Phuket, but they are concerned that rides in Patong can range from 100 baht to 300 baht. For this reason we will set 200 baht as the maximum, allowing passengers and drivers to continue to negotiate rates for shorter journeys,” said Mr Prab, who also happens to be the son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin.

Describing Patong as a “model”, Gov Tri said similar standard fares would eventually apply across the island.

“I aim to have all Phuket taxi drivers charge tourists the same standard fare, but it will fail if we try to force them all at the same time. So let’s start at one location and extend to different areas later,” he said.

Mr Prab predicted that drivers who charged more than the standard rates would lose passengers.

“This will cause all drivers to charge the same fares in the near future. If any drivers overcharge after February 9, please phone in a report to our call center, which will go into service as soon as we determine which is the most memorable number to use,” he said.

The fare chart and explanation of services will be posted on Patong Municipality’s noticeboard before February 9.

This date is also the date the committee will convene again, this time meeting with drivers’ representatives and trying to convince them to adopt standard rates.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-01-27

Hardly in the 'Firing Line'... it appears to me that the tuk-tuk drivers are in the 'You are welcome to continue overcharging tourists Line'

200 baht for a taxi ride in Pattong seems excessive particularly when in Pattaya there are Baht busses for 10 or 20 baht (I forget the price). A baht bus will take you back to your hotel (within reason, but lets say Dusit) on a direct fare for about 100 baht. Air-con Metered Taxi's in Bangkok can pretty much cross the city for 200 Baht.

"For taxi and tuk-tuk trips within Patong the drivers would also agree to charge a maximum of 200 baht, but with the option to charge extra on a per head basis if the number of passengers exceeded four. "

In other words fill the bus up first and the driver can charge what he wants , on the face of it I can't see any changes.

This is purely academic. (but may be somewhat effective at fooling some people into thinking something is being done.) Window dressing. I challenge anyone to get from Jungcylon to Karon for 300B. Try 500-600 maybe.

The bottom line is fares are ridiculous because of boundless greed and corruption. Nothing will change without a major change at the top, which won't happen because to many powerful people are making money at this game.

1) We need half as many tuk tuks/taxi's. (According to the previous governor, Phuket has 3x more than it needs)

2)Drivers need to be able to feel safe picking up passengers anywhere in Phuket so the customer doesn't have to pay for a round trip for the tuk tuk, which is the current practice. The first poaching offense generates a verbal warning, second offense and "something more serious will happen to the driver" was how a Karon tuk tuk driver explained it to me.

3) There need to be meters in every tuk tuk with fares set similar if not the same as Bangkok taxi's.

It's all very unlikely to happen I'm afraid.

The drivers don't want the short 200B routes because there are too many tuk tuks and with the long ques they are lucky to get one or two fares a day. It's the bread and butter routes that are protected though threats and violence, like from Patong to Kata/Karon, that they want.

I have been forced to use tuk tuks 3 times in the last 2 years. Twice was for relatively short rides. 700m from Kata beach to Thaina Rd with 2 ppl and 3 scuba tanks, and Phuket Town inter-provincial bus station to the local baht bus station. Both times I was flat out refused to be taken by the tuk tuk drivers before money was even discussed. Obviously because there wasn't enough money in it for the drivers at the head of the que. They were waiting for the hapless tourist they could charge 400 or whatever baht for a 3 minute ride to their hotel. Both times I was left stranded searching for a transport option. The third time I was charged 400B to go from Kata Beach Resort to Old Phuket in Karon. Non negotiable, and I was negotiating in Thai.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

And how many times has this been tried before, fixed fares ... ? Never ever happen. Tuk Tuk's always RULE. Sad sad story.

tuk tuk in Phuket are a total racket. to be avoided at all costs. rent a motorbike if you don't own one. Pattaya anywhere is 20 baht even to jomtien.... give me a break Phuket

Not safe to have more than 4 in a Tuk Tuk in my opinion, so will promote overloading.

Rick

You're talking about the Bangkok 3 wheeled jobies. In Phuket they are small 4 wheeled trucks. Can fit 6 to 8 people in one easily.

blog10.jpg

11237111680yes-we-all-fit-in-one-big-tuk-tuk.jpg

Scuba, that can hardly be described as a Tuk Tuk. It's a ferking van?

That's what they're called, tuk tuks. How many years ago was it when all tuk tuk were required to post prices and go by the negotiated fixed prices? Was the last attempt two or three years ago?

On a side note, how did that latest plan work out in Patong about freeing up a bunch of parking on beach road and having the tuk tuks queue somewhere to allow traffic to flow freely? Don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question :) .

Edited by steelepulse

Scuba, that can hardly be described as a Tuk Tuk. It's a ferking van?

Agreed, but that is what they are here in Phuket. Phuket is very hilly with some very steep roads and a normal tuk tuk wouldn't work here. In fact Phuket is believed to come from the Malay word for "hill." I think I have only seen a real tuk tuk in Phuket once.

Tuk_Tuks_Pattaya_Thailand.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The committee members agreed to set a maximum fare of 200 baht for tuk-tuk travel within Patong, as well as standard fares from Jungceylon to various destinations on the island.

And yet...

...February 9.

This date is also the date the committee will convene again, this time meeting with drivers’ representatives and trying to convince them to adopt standard rates.

What a farce. So the committee have decided what the maximum fare will be, but they need another meeting to "persuade" these rip-off merchants to adopt them!