BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
tangaroa67

How Do You Guys Make A Living?

Hi,

This is my first post here, so be gentle with me :-)

I'm planning on making the move to CR later this year. I'll have a decent bank balance when I arrive so I'm not under any initial pressure to earn (at least not for a year or two), however I'm in my early forties and have a young family (so have education/healthcare etc. to pay for) and I'm certainly not ready (or in a position) to retire. Having no firm plan as to how I'll make a living myself, I was curious as to how you guys do?

All the best,

Luke

BTW ... this place is a mine of terrific advice/information .. thanks :-)

Not wise to try to depend on any work if available to you in Thailand where working is pretty much forbidden.

You could give money to your family to start some type of business. It is up to you to decide if you "Trust" your Thai family to do this.

It is Risky, but not everyone is bad, nor is everyone as good as they seem.

Most here in the Rai are either on pensions or come here for part time from their home countries where they earn a living.

A few are Qualified Teachers with credentials and work permits, or English Teachers with work permits.

Teaching without a work permit is a violation or Immigration laws and can get you deported.

The best you could do is to have the family start a business.

Farming, Importing foreign goods, Retail, and Service businesses. All have to be done by Thai Nationals.

Edited by TacoBoy

Best to have a nice job somewhere that's not nice, like Saudi Arabia or the North Sea, and come home to Thailand on your time off.

you should have made this a Poll.

I suspect 60% are on some sort of retirement/ investment Income. and the other 40% earn money overseas.

We have a few teachers; Some will be supporting a family business on the side lines, and I'm sure some entreprenueurs but the system is stacked against them.

Oh, I forgot about the missionaries, NGO's etc.....

Edited by jubby

I just sit in my chair.... doing nothing but enjoy like most of us.

Try Bangkok or Chiangmai is my advise

I'm a web developer, with clients primarily in the US.

Friends who actually earn money in Thailand are few and far between, though I know a restaurant owner, a few teachers, and a guy who bought land/built houses and rents them (in Chiang Mai).

I just sit in my chair.... doing nothing but enjoy like most of us.

Try Bangkok or Chiangmai is my advise

That avatar, lucky bloke out there somewhere. :D

If you want answers other than the same old rendition of what's legal, then I would wait until you get here and ask people as you get to know them - that way you may get a few alternatives that are in the grey area that people do not want to draw attention to - if you know what I mean.

This is what ThaiVisa claims we do, if I read the advertising section right.

occupations.png

Funny, every time I go back home to the US to visit....folks ask me with this very earnest and concerned look on their face: "But what do you DO?".

When I give them the truth in my reply, which is "Absolutely nothing", I watch the eyes in their heads roll back like the cherries on a Las Vegas slot machine.

Gives me no end of satisfaction......:coffee1:

I've got a mate who comes and stays with me at least once a year, he's a burnt out high pressure business man, for a week he just veges out.. "it's heaven, it's paradise..."

Then one day he says "so what else do you do here?", and I know he's off soon.

Next time I'll send him to the Hash. B)

I suspect 60% are on some sort of retirement/ investment Income. and the other 40% earn money overseas.

We have a few teachers; Some will be supporting a family business on the side lines, and I'm sure some entreprenueurs but the system is stacked against them.

I suspect your guestimate on percentages is way off the mark. I know many expats who earn their living in Thailand, and I don't mean bar owners or restuarant owners, but high tier managers working for Thai companys myself included. As one individual who knows eleven expats working and living in Thailand then I guess there must be another few hundred who also know expats working and living in Thailand outside of the entertainment industry.

I trade U.S. stocks from my laptop.

The bad: Have to work at night (9:30pm-4am) which cuts into my drinking time and I have to pay 15% to Uncle Sam.

The good: I can work anywhere, and travel whenever.

I suspect your guestimate on percentages is way off the mark. I know many expats who earn their living in Thailand, and I don't mean bar owners or restuarant owners, but high tier managers working for Thai companys myself included. As one individual who knows eleven expats working and living in Thailand then I guess there must be another few hundred who also know expats working and living in Thailand outside of the entertainment industry.

I think it was a Chiang Rai estimate rather than country-wide, I may be wrong but I don't think there are that many Thai companies up in the north that have foreign high-tier managers. :wai: