Expired Unused Medicines

fryto

Yes.

Most houses have them, the big white bowls in the bathroom. Open bottle, pour contents into white bowl then push the little lever at the back. Hey Presto, they are washed away.

Be careful not to put the bottle in too. May end up with a flushing problem.

A frivolous answer from the previos poster. Flushing medicines down the toilet - especially septic tanks based - can put chemicals into the water table even after treatment and can cause bad reactions to the flora and fauna. It's bad enough that millions of women around the world are peeing hormone overflows from birth control pills into the water without adding more.

Flushing is the easy way out but should be avoided. Try asking a local clinic/hospital although, cynic as I am, I would be wary of giving them medicines to dispose of since they might relabel and sell them back!

Any one out there got a solution?

A frivolous answer from the previos poster. Flushing medicines down the toilet - especially septic tanks based - can put chemicals into the water table even after treatment and can cause bad reactions to the flora and fauna. It's bad enough that millions of women around the world are peeing hormone overflows from birth control pills into the water without adding more.

Flushing is the easy way out but should be avoided. Try asking a local clinic/hospital although, cynic as I am, I would be wary of giving them medicines to dispose of since they might relabel and sell them back!

Any one out there got a solution?

Compared to the tons of chemicals being used on crops (in the form of fertilizers and pesticides) that are leeching into the water table, I suspect a few valiums won't have much effect.

You'd hardly find a more informed poster on things Chiang Mai than p1p, so you may want to do some research before passing judgement. If you are really concerned just burn them, or take them to a pharmacist and hope they have enough integrity not to resell them. If that's the case he'll probably flush them, or toss them in with the rubbish.

If you are really, really concerned, crush them into a powder, and sprinkle little bits at a time out the window as you drive around the city, thereby avoiding a hazarous concentration. Sounds flippant, yes, but it would solve the problem.

cv

I'm no expert to be sure, but it seems to me that any medecine that is intended for human consumption would be OK to flush down the toilet, as that is what happens to everything else consumed by humans.

Considering the amount of bacterias and other nastiness in raw sewage, the medecines might also have a small positive effect at killing the bacterias which gets into the water table as well.

I believe that medicines are biodegradeable...flushing should be fine...doctors say to do it...is there any evidence that flushing them is bad or is this just some rumor or someone's idle speculation?

A water quality study in Sweden last year showed up rather high concentrations of SSRIs (antidepressants, such as citalopram) circulating around the echo system. I am not sure to what extent this affects the wildlife, but rumour has it that the suicide rate among sewage rats and catfish is steadily declining.

I believe that medicines are biodegradeable...flushing should be fine...doctors say to do it...is there any evidence that flushing them is bad or is this just some rumor or someone's idle speculation?

A water quality study in Sweden last year showed up rather high concentrations of SSRIs (antidepressants, such as citalopram) circulating around the echo system. I am not sure to what extent this affects the wildlife, but rumour has it that the suicide rate among sewage rats and catfish is steadily declining.

:o:D

nice one ms.

Interesting study...perhaps I'll google to see if I can find it...perhaps they should outlaw the drug if its causing environmental damage. If you've got a link please post.

Edit:.......ooooooooops, I just re-read the last sentence.....hahahhahahahahahha

Edited by chownah

Apparantly Finland has the highest suicide rate in Europe. Perhaps the Swedes could point their pipes east? :o

cv

WASHINGTON — What’s the best way to throw away leftover, expired medicines? Once the answer was “flush ’em,” to ensure children and animals couldn’t stumble on the drugs and be poisoned.

Now scientists are increasingly warning not to flush drugs. Antibiotics, hormones and other medicines are being found in waterways — raising worrisome questions about potential health and environmental effects.

“So what the heck do you do with it? This is not black and white,” Georgetown University pharmacology chairman Kenneth Dretchen says with a sigh.

No one knows just how many unused drugs Americans dump each year, or how many are hoarded because patients don’t realize the drugs have expired or simply don’t know what to do with them. It’s a question that arises each fall as pharmacy groups launch annual “clean out your medicine cabinet” campaigns.

:o

o Trash is better than sewer, with precautions in case children or animals get into it, Tong says. He advises breaking up capsules and crushing tablets, then putting the remains back in the original container with its child-resistant cap. Tape it up and double-bag before tossing.

o Alternatively, check if local household hazardous-waste collection programs — where you’re supposed to take motor oil and batteries — accept expired medicines.

o The FDA suggests asking if pharmacies will take back expired drugs, as is common in Canada and Australia. Pharmacies have programs to incinerate or otherwise dispose of inventory they can’t sell, but the industry couldn’t say how many would accept consumers’ leftovers, too.

Source: http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2003/12/01/58049.php

Looks like as far as LOS is concerned burning them is the best, since people search the trash dumps for recycleables :D

In Chiang Mai the vast percentage of household sewage enters pump-out septic tanks when flushed. It tends to remain there for a number of months, if not years. (We have lived in the same house for eight years now and had only one pump-out during this time, (a year ago). My restaurant has so far had one pump-out in four years.)

Generally flushing will give adequate time for the bacteria in the septic tank to work on and break down almost any medicine. (The tanks are all seeded with bacteria and assorted enzymes etc. at the end of a pump-out. I tend to help the seeding with an occasional generous dose of EM and liquid effluent from my compost heap.)

Burning is a definite second-best option, considering our problems with air pollution etc. here. Binning comes third, taped and double bagged or not!

Went to google and after looking around a little bit (this is not an extensive survey of the available literature) found that binning was not recommeded by anyone, flushing was the most recommended option, when flushing was not recommeded it was stated that it was unclear whether flushing had an adverse affect on the environment. I couldn't find any reference to an actual case where flushing lead to any problem. Taking to a hazardous waste facility was also recommended as was returning to the pharmacy or doctor...if they will accept them.

So far I've found no credible reason to avoid flushing.

Edited by chownah