'Egyptian government to make important announcement shortly'

News_Editor

'Egyptian government to make important announcement shortly'

2011-01-29 04:33:41 GMT+7 (ICT)

CAIRO (BNO NEWS) -- The Egyptian government will 'soon' announce an 'important matter' after a day of massive anti-government protests, Egypt's parliament speaker was cited as saying on late Friday evening.

Speaker Fathi Sorour told Egypt's Mehwar channel by telephone that an important announcement was due to be made but provided no other details, according to Al Jazeera and other television news reports.

Egypt plunged into chaos on Friday when tens of thousands of people took to the streets in Cairo and other major cities to demand the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak. Some of them clashed with security forces, killing up to 20 people and injuring more than 1,100 others.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-29

The Egypt protests are massive.

* 1000+ people wounded

* 13 people dead in Suez

* tourists are forced to hand cameras to the police

* military tanks seen with protesters on top, cheering together with military

* internet completely closed

* mobile networks out

* communication only possible via landlines

* America stopped military aid and support

* Clinton addressed Egypt not to use force

* President Mubarak's wife and son reported to have left Egypt

LaoPo

Egypt protesters defy curfew as tanks roll into Cairo

President Hosni Mubarak remains silent after day of demonstrations which saw at least five people killed

Friday 28 January 2011 20.15 GMT

Tanks moved on to the streets of Cairo and Alexandria as protesters in Egypt defied a nationwide curfew ordered by President Hosni Mubarak in an effort to quell the fourth and most violent day of demonstrations against his 30-year rule.

Two weeks to the day after Tunisia saw its veteran president flee into exile, the capital of the Arab world's largest country witnessed extraordinary scenes as tens of thousands of demonstrators braved teargas, rubber bullets and baton charges to vent their fury at repression, poverty, unemployment and corruption.

At least 13 people were killed and 75 wounded in the eastern city of Suez, according to medical sources. They reported that 1,030 people had been injured in the clashes in Cairo alone.

Continues:

http://www.guardian....ers-tanks-cairo

LaoPo

Protests in Egypt - live updates

• Officials say US is reviewing $1.5bn aid to Egypt

• Mohamed ElBaradei has been detained

• Teargas and rubber bullets used in crackdown

• Read a full summary of the latest developments

To receive updated content, refresh the page (F5 for a web browser). This page will update automatically every minute: On | Off A-riot-policeman-fires-te-009.jpg A riot policeman fires tear gas at protesters in front of the l-Istiqama Mosque in Giza, Cairo, today. Photograph: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

10.17pm GMT:CloseLink to this update: Mubarak now appears on television, suddenly. No indication if this is live or taped.

10.12pm GMT:CloseLink to this update:

This is a puzzle but Reuters is now reporting that Fathi Sorour, the speaker of the Egyptian parliament who was to make a statement this evening, has told the Nile News television channel that Egypt is in the "safe hands" of President Mubarak.

Reuters reports:

"The matters are in safe hands, in the hands of President Hosni Mubarak, and he will act," Speaker Fathi Sorour told Egypt's state-owned Nile News channel after being asked about how the government would deal with the unrest.

He said the parliament, which is overwhelmingly dominated by Mubarak's ruling party, would meet on Sunday, for an ordinary session, and would request Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif attend to assess the situation and issue recommendations. "What more can we do?" Sorour said.

Live update here:

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

10.29pm GMT:CloseLink to this update:

Mubarak finally appears on Nile TV.

The translation is very halting and difficult to follow, so these notes may not be accurate, and it's much as I could catch:

"I assure you I am working for the people and giving freedom of opinion as long as you are respecting the law. There's a very small line between freedom and chaos....

"We have to be careful of anything that would allow chaos. No democracy would be there if we allow chaos. These demonstrators wanted to speak about their opinion, to give have more job opportunities and lower prices and fight poverty. I know all of these issues that people are asking ... I will always be on the side of the poor...."

CNN is running Mubarak in a split screen, with the president on one side and the fires and wreakage in the streets around Cairo and Alexandra on the other.

"Dear citizens, I don't talk to you today as a president but as an Egyptian. I [have] spent war and peace in this counrty, we overcame very hard times, we were united as people.... [We need] new steps for more democracy, for more freedoms for citizens, new steps to raise the economy and to stand by the poor and those with limited salaries. This is what is going to make our future and we can't do that unless we are open and we are hard working. We need to build...

"What happened in the last few days put fear in everybody's hearts and the fear for the future and additional chaos. I take responsibility for the security of this country and our citizens, I will not let this happen. I will not let fear live in the hearts of the citizens."

Then Mubarak announced that he will force the government to resign and appoint a new one tomorrow. But Mubarak gave no sign whatsoever that he would be going with them, quite the opposite in fact.

http://www.guardian....ates?intcmp=239

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

10.40pm GMTCloseLink to this update: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates?intcmp=239#block-140'>http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates?intcmp=239#block-140

President Mubarak also made mention of the protests which continued into a fourth day across Egypt. He defended the actions of the security forces, and said he 'regretted' the casualties, but described the protests as part of plot to destabilise Egypt and destroy the legitimacy of his regime.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates?intcmp=239

LaoPo

On June 4, 2009 (!) 19 months ago ......did President Obama planted a seed for the present unrest ??

Obama Calls For "New Beginning" in Cairo, Egypt - June 4, 2009

LaoPo

I just finished watching a one hour special on CNN regarding Egypt. Apparently, the US has been pressuring Mubarak for years to open up and be more democratic. He basically ignored the requests. So what Obama was talking about has been discussed with this guy for years.

Too little, too late. Protest won't end until Mubarak is gone. Won't be surprised if there is a shown down between the army and the security forces.

From what the talking heads are saying, Mubarak is basically history. The police are gone, the army has taken over. What's interesting is that most of US aid has gone to the army. So...if the US calls for a change, they may pay attention?????

What a mess....

I just finished watching a one hour special on CNN regarding Egypt. Apparently, the US has been pressuring Mubarak for years to open up and be more democratic. He basically ignored the requests. So what Obama was talking about has been discussed with this guy for years.

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289686/Egypt-protests-Americas-secret-backing-for-rebel-leaders-behind-uprising.html

The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289686/Egypt-protests-Americas-secret-backing-for-rebel-leaders-behind-uprising.html

The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

They've been planning on overthrowing him for years. The US has been walking a tightrope...between diplomacy (i.e. supporting an "elected" leader) and pushing for a change in leadership. This has been going on for years, and Mubarak escaped an assignation attempt several years ago.

This one even was not the catalyst for the recent uprisings. It's been festering for along time and Tunisia's overthrow of their PM sparked it.

A new Saddam, a new Pinochet, a new Noriega? What is the USA cooking there?

You actually think the US has any significant influence there? Seriously....these events are all about a corrupt dictator...Mubarak. About time he backs off and let's democracy take it's natural course...freely elected officials.

You actually think the US has any significant influence there? Seriously....these events are all about a corrupt dictator...Mubarak. About time he backs off and let's democracy take it's natural course...freely elected officials.

Would be at least not the first time that the 'new hope' turned out to be worse. history lessons.

What gives you the certainness that its all about a 'better' system?

They've been planning on overthrowing him for years. The US has been walking a tightrope...between diplomacy (i.e. supporting an "elected" leader) and pushing for a change in leadership. This has been going on for years, and Mubarak escaped an assignation attempt several years ago.

This one even was not the catalyst for the recent uprisings. It's been festering for along time and Tunisia's overthrow of their PM sparked it.

The man is in his 80's. He should take the money and run off to retirement in Pattaya or Monaco. What a massive ego these dictators must have to want to hold out to the bitter end instead of enjoying their remaining years.

Edited by koheesti

The man is in his 80's. He should take the money and run off to retirement in Pattaya or Monaco. What a massive ego these dictators must have to want to hold out to the bitter end instead of enjoying their remaining years.

Massive ego..yes but it's not exclusively about his position and money anymore. He wants his son to succeed him.

The corrupt clan around his family is controlling many parts of the economy.

A friend of his son has the full control over the construction and import of all iron in Egypt, needed for the construction of buildings and the prices are sky-high; that's just a small example of this "democratic" dictator who will become 83 in May 2011.

But, did Mugabe of Zimbabwe walk away with his money ? No, and he will be 87 this month!

Tunisia was only a trigger to further explosions and uproar in the Arab region but Tunisia has only a mere 10.5 million people: Egypt has 80 million (!) people. :ph34r:

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I mean at fifty . . . no forty, most people want to retire and clip grocery coupons.

I guess they have to hold on to power because once gone they either get prosecuted and hanged by the successor for various crimes or run off into exile, like you say Pattaya would be ideal. Probably why he wants his son to succeed him.

Sounds like a load of old BS to me. The US has been arming Mubarak regime for aeons and if you get democracy in Egypt the sheer force of numbers and popualr will will make Egypt more anti-Israel. the last thing the US and Israel want are dmocracies in the ME, That means sympathy for Palestinians.