Veera Sentenced To Eight Years In Cambodian Jail

george

BORDER DISPUTE

Veera sentenced to eight years in Cambodian jail

By The Nation

The Cambodian Court on Tuesday sentenced Veera Somkwamit, leader of Thai Patriots Network to eight years in jail and his secretary to six years in jail for spying.

The ruling came late Tuesday after hours of hearing during which Veera and Ratree Pipattanapaiboon denied the charges of spying.

The two are among seven Thais arrested while inspecting a site in Sa Kaew province late last year. The five others including a Democrat MP Panich Vikitsreth were freed after being given a nine-month suspended jail term for illegal entry. The duo were also charged of spying.

Meanwhile police have reinforced its security at the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok on Tuesday following the Cambodian court's hearing.

Thai police have been ordered to strengthen the security at the Cambodian embassy to prevent any possible chaos.

Veera was taken from Prey Sar prison as he was the only one still detained there, while his secretary, Ratree who was earlier granted bail, has arrived at court by Thai embassy van.

Veera was not seen as having a worried expression as his previous court appearance. He shouted to reporters waiting outside the court that he was fine and would not accept the charges and would fight the accusation.

The hearing caught a huge media attention but not for Cambodian citizens as most were leaving Panom Penh to celebrate Chinese New Year with their family in other provinces.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-01

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A real shot across those nationalists bows.

No all that surprising since he is a repeat offender and

was making an obvious point of breaking the Cambodian laws.

Now his full amount of time becomes a bargaining chip.

No matter what it will not be short, but not the full 8 in all likelihood.

PAD and TPN must be apoplectic this evening.

Edited by animatic

great news, its about time one of these scumbags saw the inside of a jail cell for some time, its just a pity the thais have let him wander round for so long, I guess they knew the clown would wonder across the border :D

what a great day, last night we lost torres, today this scumbag gets 8 years to even things up :lol:

Hold onto your hats. This could get quite interesting.

As for convoluted Thai soap opera endings, what odds Thaksin to call up a few old buddies to get him released? And just when you say, it could never happen, just remember TIT.

Agreed.

At the same time there is no reason for the government to go to bat for these fools on a simple trespassing charge, if the conviction includes spying charges, the interesting point will be; spying for whom?

Edited by animatic

Cambodian court jails Thai activist

PHNOM PENH, February 1, 2011 (AFP) - A Cambodian court on Tuesday sentenced a high-profile Thai nationalist activist to eight years in prison on spying and illegal entry charges in a case that has rekindled border tensions.

Veera Somkwamkid -- a former leader of the "Yellow Shirt" movement -- and his secretary Ratree Pipattanapaibul were found guilty on charges of illegal entry into Cambodia, trespassing on a military area and attempting to gather information that could affect national defence.

The judge at Phnom Penh Municipal Court handed Ratree a six-year jail term.

The charges carried a maximum combined sentence of 11 years and six months.

Veera, dressed in a blue prison uniform, denied being on Cambodian soil when he was arrested.

"I was walking on Thai territory," he told the court through a translator. "I had no intention to invade Cambodian territory."

Veera and Ratree were also fined 1.8 million riel ($445) and 1.2 million ($300) riel respectively.

The pair were among seven Thais arrested in Cambodia on December 29 while they were inspecting disputed border territory.

The other five members of the group -- including a ruling party politician -- received suspended sentences for illegal entry on January 21 and have since returned to Thailand.

The neighbouring countries, long at odds over their border, have both stressed they want to avoid a row over the issue, although Cambodia rebuffed Thailand's initial demand for the detainees' immediate release.

The Thailand-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

Around 2,000 nationalist Thai "Yellow Shirts" rallied in Bangkok last week to demonstrate against the government's handling of the border dispute with its neighbour.

The Yellows, who claim allegiance to the throne, are powerful players in Thailand's colour-coded politics.

Officially known as the People's Alliance for Democracy, they seized two Bangkok airports in late 2008, leaving more than 300,000 travellers stranded.

They used to be closely linked to Thai premier Abhisit Vejjajiva but relations have since soured.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-01

Any information on the specifics of the espionage conviction?

In what form did the spying take? What secret information were they gathering?

What did these 2 do that was different from the 5 that were with them the whole time and were only found guilty of trespassing?

Edited by Buchholz

Could not buy his way out of this one then, huh?

I hope the rest of the Yellows realize that protesting for his release is just a waste of time. They are much better off planning for a big "welcome home" party, and they have 8 years to do it.

As for convoluted Thai soap opera endings, what odds Thaksin to call up a few old buddies to get him released? And just when you say, it could never happen, just remember TIT.

Agreed.

At the same time there is no reason for the government to go to bat for these fools on a simple trespassing charge, if the conviction includes spying charges, the interesting point will be; spying for whom?

Espionage is espionage, and it isn't as though a planned small PAD day trip across the border can be dressed up to be in Cambodia's national interest. Doesn't matter if he was doing it provably on anyone's behalf or not I would imagine. He picked the wrong fight, at the wrong time, in the wrong place and now he will pay with some time behind bars. Arrogant, stupid and short sighted is the most polite thing I can think to describe the actions of these PAD i****s. They behave as though they are not responsible for the longer term consequences of their actions, but when you put soldiers at each other's throats, it is your fault.

I am not quite sure how much Veera is worth politically, but if the PAD go moggy about this, they will play completely into Thaksin's hands just when it appeared he and his party were dead in the water. The PAD have committed a very very dumb political move for a narrow political aim that now puts Thaksin back front and centre of the situation all over again. And people believed the PAD came from the more educated and sophisticated side of Thailand. If bullets are traded at the border because of this, any Thai blood is on their hands as far as I am concerned. Someone needs to tell them to stay at home and watch their P&Qs for a very long while.

I don't think it will take long until we get the headlines that "Thaksin offers to negotiate to free Veera". Maybe a day or so at most.

Could you imagine the political mileage that is worth? Abhisit and the government will look completely toothless. What can the army say about it? Thaksin on his white charger to defuse all the problems, and I believe it is a real possibility. Do you think Veera has the principles to volunteer to stay in Cambodia if he knows that Thaksin negotiates his release? They have idiotically allowed Thaksin back to the table. Idiots. Idiots. Idiots.

The PAD will deliver a get out of jail free card to Thaksin if they kick up a stink about this.

Of course, Abhisit might come to the rescue and organise a trade. It's all been planned to get the yellows on Abhisit's side. :whistling:

What does Abhisit have to trade?

What's that got to do with it? The point is, it's all just a government plan to get the yellows on side. That's why Abhisit told the group to cross the border in the first place. :rolleyes:

edit: TaH: Maybe Kasit? Yep, that would get the reds on side too.

Edited by whybother

A yellow shirt finally behind bars.

You haven't paid much attention to the news have you?

edit --- 84 PAD members were given jail terms at the end of last year for the NBT raid

Edited by jdinasia

Of course, Abhisit might come to the rescue and organise a trade. It's all been planned to get the yellows on Abhisit's side. :whistling:

What's that got to do with it? The point is, it's all just a government plan to get the yellows on side. That's why Abhisit told the group to cross the border in the first place. :rolleyes:

I somehow don't think that the PAD will see it that way.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I somehow don't think that the PAD will see it that way.

They're shown themselves to be idiots. They won't notice. :ph34r:

Now , if only the Thai powers that be do the same to the rest of the rabble rousers , they will not only prove they are in charge , but will restore some semblance of law and order to the country . Without drastic action such as this , few of their other ongoing problems are likely to go away in time to prevent dire results that these clowns could bring to Thailand .

Agreed.

Espionage is espionage, and it isn't as though a planned small PAD day trip across the border can be dressed up to be in Cambodia's national interest. Doesn't matter if he was doing it provably on anyone's behalf or not I would imagine.

They would presumably have to prove what the actual spying was, however. What Cambodian secrets were compromised or threatened to be compromised by their "spying?"

Espionage on a military base in Cambodia? This so-called military base is 55 meters within a disputed border? Is unfenced and unguarded?

The 7 traveled together into Cambodia's territory for 150 feet or so. 5 are sent on their way with a $250 fines... the other two are sent to prison for 8 and 6 years? Guilty of trespassing, yes. Guilty of espionage? phffft.

What was the espionage?

The phrase "trumped-up charges" come to mind.

Edited by Buchholz

Agreed.

Espionage is espionage, and it isn't as though a planned small PAD day trip across the border can be dressed up to be in Cambodia's national interest. Doesn't matter if he was doing it provably on anyone's behalf or not I would imagine. He picked the wrong fight, at the wrong time, in the wrong place and now he will pay with some time behind bars. Arrogant, stupid and short sighted is the most polite thing I can think to describe the actions of these PAD i****s. They behave as though they are not responsible for the longer term consequences of their actions, but when you put soldiers at each other's throats, it is your fault.

I am not quite sure how much Veera is worth politically, but if the PAD go moggy about this, they will play completely into Thaksin's hands just when it appeared he and his party were dead in the water. The PAD have committed a very very dumb political move for a narrow political aim that now puts Thaksin back front and centre of the situation all over again. And people believed the PAD came from the more educated and sophisticated side of Thailand. If bullets are traded at the border because of this, any Thai blood is on their hands as far as I am concerned. Someone needs to tell them to stay at home and watch their P&Qs for a very long while.

I don't think it will take long until we get the headlines that "Thaksin offers to negotiate to free Veera". Maybe a day or so at most.

Could you imagine the political mileage that is worth? Abhisit and the government will look completely toothless. What can the army say about it? Thaksin on his white charger to defuse all the problems, and I believe it is a real possibility. Do you think Veera has the principles to volunteer to stay in Cambodia if he knows that Thaksin negotiates his release? They have idiotically allowed Thaksin back to the table. Idiots. Idiots. Idiots.

The PAD will deliver a get out of jail free card to Thaksin if they kick up a stink about this.

Agreed yet again.

It amazes me, even after so many years here, the lack of forethought that is so typical in so many quarters of society. Short sighted self-interest that far too often screws the pooch of long term self-interest, and not coincidentally the good of Thailand. So sad to watch sometimes.

Veera has the principles to volunteer to stay in Cambodia if he knows that Thaksin negotiates his release?

Not on his best day.

Thaksin coming on his smog gray charger, sure as shooting.

How effectively is another issue.

Hun sen will only bite IF he thinks Thaksin will be his new negotiating partner over the oil. I have believed for some time, big oil interests /Thaksin friends have been clandestinely financing the otherwise moribund PAD, and more so TPN, for exactly an outcome such as this, pushing them one way, with them not knowing who is pushing, or why, but glad to have the cash to keep their game on.

The sports agents and Fed Investigators say: Follow the money.

I don't think they have played into Thaksins hands,

I think they have been played.

Edited by animatic

What does Abhisit have to trade? Maybe Kasit?

A seat at the big boys table is the likely demand they have in mind.

But it would be more than a bit stupid to give it to them.

What did these 2 do that was different from the 5 that were with them the whole time and were only found guilty of trespassing?

I thought they were repeat offenders.

Repeat offenders for trespass. Not for spying.

They've never been convicted of espionage before, only trespassing.

In fact, I'd be curious if any Thai has previously been convicted of espionage anywhere, let alone a man and woman spy team.

And add, has anyone from any country ever been previously convicted of espionage by Cambodia?

What possible military secrets could they have been trying to gather in this area? How many cows there were?

Edited by Buchholz

They've never been convicted of espionage before, only trespassing.

In fact, I'd be curious if any Thai has previously been convicted of espionage anywhere, let alone a man and woman spy team.

And add, has anyone from any country ever been previously convicted of espionage by Cambodia?

What possible military secrets could they have been trying to gather in this area? How many cows there were?

Out of curiosity why are you all of a sudden defending people who have no good intentions. They both knew it was a piece of Cambodian territory they were interning. They knew before hand that there were causing trouble and yet they went. What possible good could this type of action do Thailand?

Buchholz

you are normally good at research. Instead of trying to defend them why don't you go over the records of the trial and find out why they were convicted.

for myself I believe they deserved the time even if they weren't spying. We have the yellow shirts actively pursuing war and these clowns pull a stunt like that. And why did they do it on a military base?

Being as it was there second offense they had to know Cambodia would not turn the cheek a second time.

Don't know where you come from but where I come from there is a saying. [if you can't do the time don't do the crime]

It is one thing to play there silly little games in Thailand. (where it is becoming the national pastime) But to deliberately and illegally play it in another country if not doing espionage for Thailand it could be considered treason trying to get Thailand into trouble on the international scene. Just a thought but give it a little bit of consideration.B)

Agreed.

Espionage is espionage, and it isn't as though a planned small PAD day trip across the border can be dressed up to be in Cambodia's national interest. Doesn't matter if he was doing it provably on anyone's behalf or not I would imagine.

They would presumably have to prove what the actual spying was, however. What Cambodian secrets were compromised or threatened to be compromised by their "spying?"

Espionage on a military base in Cambodia? This so-called military base is 55 meters within a disputed border? Is unfenced and unguarded?

The 7 traveled together into Cambodia's territory for 150 feet or so. 5 are sent on their way with a $250 fines... the other two are sent to prison for 8 and 6 years? Guilty of trespassing, yes. Guilty of espionage? phffft.

What was the espionage?

The phrase "trumped-up charges" come to mind.

Unusual for you Buchholz a liitle sympathy for our intruder friends. Maybe a colour of your liking. I agree why charge some with more serious charges...just <deleted> shoot them all and have done with it. Waste of space army sponsored nationalists.

playtime is over now.....it's a signal fot those thailand clowns with an attitude.

no matter what color their shirt is.

7 cambodian politicians entering thailand (or a disputed area).....imagine that.....

the thais would have done exactly the same

hun sen keeps them as bargain and after releasing those 2 idiots in the near future he is the political messiah (again).

and of course he will praise himself for that generous gesture on state tv.

TiT

TiC

:lol:

btw, the thai army brought some howitzers to the border area today (maybe they want to bomb them free)

Edited by Ricci