Naked Pattaya Brit Comes Back From Hell

webfact

Back from hell - Pattaya horror story revisited

med_gallery_327_1086_124031.jpg

This is an emaciated Richard Hewitt before being rescued from a Pattaya police cell

where he lay naked and cuffed to the cell bars in what witnesses described as a state

near to death.

med_gallery_327_1086_53752.jpg

And this is Richard Hewitt today.

He has made an incredibly recovery after treatment at a psychiatric hospital in Bangkok. And remarkably it was a private British citizen who came to his aid after seeing pictures of Hewitt up on this website.

The British Embassy had seemingly written him off as either a ‘feckless’ Brit or perhaps as one Embassy employee apparently described him, unofficially and not without cause - ‘a nutter’.

But now his faculties have returned and Hewitt describes himself as ‘The luckiest man in the world’

And from a world in which he thought he had no cash he has emerged to a world where he is rich well beyond the imagination of his paranoiac alter ego with many millions of Thai baht in his bank account.

He puts his good fortune down to his saviour Tracy Cosgrave, of the charity Melissa Cosgrave Children’s Foundation, who rushed down to Pattaya Police station, had him dressed and fed and persuaded police to send him to a psychiatric hospital.

He is also deeply grateful to his landlord Bunchai Thaiurungrattana at his apartment in Pattaya 3rd Road, Soi 16, who safeguarded his belongings, cash and bank books, until he made his recovery.

For Richard Hewitt is not a Pattaya Brit who has squandered all his cash on booze, women, and drugs… Well, at least not yet.

He is in fact wealthy in his own right. A computer engineer, and graduate from the University of Sheffield, he has in fact lived in Thailand for on and off for 12 years and says he has visited ‘and stayed in’ 56 provinces.

He was an English language teacher for Berlitz in Bangkok until four years ago when he quit after his father died and he received a large inheritance.

And it is that inheritance which may have been his undoing. That and perhaps moving to Pattaya with little sense of self control.

“I decided someone would have to make me a pretty good offer if I was ever going to work again,” he said, talking about his inheritance. “That was my downfall”.

Instead he decided to make most of his life in a city once described by Britain’s ‘Observer’ as a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.

Hewitt, 47, from Brownhills, Birmingham, drank, took drugs, and frequented the city’s sex bars.

His last arrival date from Britain was in the third week of August last year. He resumed his normal lifestyle but insists he quit drugs, and drink by early October.

Nevertheless the damage appeared to have been done. Something somewhere cracked, and he has now only partial memory of what happened. Doctors put it down to paranoiac psychosis.

He does remember dreaming about water, ‘Rain making’ and ‘Rain Dancing’, so much so that he turned on all the taps to flood his apartment and others in the block and he became delirious turning his room into an open toilet.

He scratched around looking for food, oblivious of the US$2000. 200 pounds sterling, 3000 baht and bank books in his safe. [more...]

Full story: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/02/02/back-from-hell-pattaya-horror-story-revisited/

-- ANDREW-DRUMMOND.COM 2011-02-02

footer_n.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"For Richard Hewitt is not a Pattaya Brit who has squandered all his cash on booze, women, and drugs… Well, at least not yet."

Well Mr. Drummond, you have lost a few friends here in Pattaya with this paragraph above.

The vast majority of PATTAYA BRITS do not squander all of their cash on booze, women an drugs....

... and you have also insulted Mr. Hewitt with this little line...

Well, at least not yet.

And you are supposed to be a reporter, or an opinionated columnist?

And I hope he repays Tracey in full and then some.

Im pretty sure that Tracey wouldnt expect anything in return. She sounds like a gem of a Good Samaritan who wanted to help another human being in need. Hats off to you Tracey. Many would never have done what you did.

The video on the link is disturbing , poor man was obviously in phycosis.

Mental health can be a real issue here in Thailand, I have had to assist to with quite a few westerners in a similar situation its always very difficult and not always drugs and booze that cause this type of episode.

Its great to see a huge recovery!

Tracey and those behind her are real good people in a sometimes shitty world need more people like that .

Shame it took a private citizen to come to his aid and not the British authorities in Pattaya that gave him only crackers and water and then left him in his squalor near death (if I'm remembering the original story correctly).

Yes, I agree.

The US Embassy is pretty much the same. Staff is there to collect a paycheck and eventually a pension. Assisting the taxpayer is not in their job description...

The vast majority of PATTAYA BRITS do not squander all of their cash on booze, women an drugs....

... and you have also insulted Mr. Hewitt with this little line...

Well, at least not yet.

And you are supposed to be a reporter, or an opinionated columnist?

Just wondering what takes the vast majority of Brits and other nationalities to Pattaya? :unsure:

I don't think it's the British Embassies remit (unofficial or not) to describe a British citizen as a "nutter" They are supposed to be our guardians in times of trouble and need. Rather than brand someone in this way they should have spent some time investigating his case and getting to the bottom of his problems as he was clearly in turmoil and unable to fend for himself. Why didn't they do something about it as it's their job to do so, after all, instead of abandoning him in his obvious plight and leaving him to what could have been certain death if others such as this charity hadn't come to his rescue!!! I hope that this kind charitable act raises the profile of the charity responsible for "giving him his life back" and they can garner some well deserved donations as a reward for their selfless and commendable courage in trying to assist this desolate and abandoned man in terrible living conditions.

Another thing, what on earth is wrong with the Thai authorities who (were'nt) looking after him? Surely they should have known who to contact to come and save him from this undignified and dangerous situation regarding his health. I hope this gets investigated by a reputable organisation with those responsible either being severely disciplined or sacked. However, Knowing how things work in Thailand - this will probably "get brushed under the carpet" as if it never happened. Very sad state of affairs, really!!!

There was a similar story in the U.S. where a homeless man had this "golden" voice. He would beg money from the street, and became a big news story there. Apparently, he was a former radio employee who turned to alchohol, and went downhill from there. When the story made national coverage, he got to go on Dr. Phil's show, and it turned out he was still drinking even though some people offered him work and a future. I believe he's now in rehab. I hope it's not a long road back for either of these gentlemen.

Mental health can be a real issue here in Thailand, I have had to assist to with quite a few westerners in a similar situation its always very difficult and not always drugs and booze that cause this type of episode.

Tracey and those behind her are real good people in a sometimes shitty world need more people like that .

I agree with you 100 % We need a lots more people like this.............. welcomeani.gif

This story lightens my soul, I am so pleased to hear a good news piece, I really hope this man gets on happily with his life and enjoys it to the fullest. Well done Tracey and shame on the British Embassy...... and to you Mr Drummond.....How many times do readers need to remind you of the fact that your story telling is neither humorous or remotely funny?, your quips in this story again show us that your writing skills are dubious at best, I would respectfully suggest you leave the smart arsed comments to others!!!

Edited by supaprik

Im pretty sure that Tracey wouldnt expect anything in return. She sounds like a gem of a Good Samaritan who wanted to help another human being in need. Hats off to you Tracey. Many would never have done what you did.

You beat me to this!!! I fully concur with what you write as I'm sure that her pride in what she has done has made herself feel very good about herself, and deservedly so after the disgraceful handling of a potentially disastrous situation thanks to the abysmal handling of this case by the embassy staff in question. Take a bow Tracey and hang your heads in shame you pathetic embassy officials for not performing your jobs and doing your duty on this in a responsible manner!!! You are not worthy of your title.

Its good to hear he's made a recovery. If only the British government could put the same enthusiasm into taking care of its citizens as it does for collecting taxes.

VAT 20%

Income Tax

National Insurance

Council tax

...and for what? If we're in trouble abroad we can rot in hell, quite literally in the case.

They performs dreadfully in the tsunami and it appears that nothing has changed.

Thank goodness there are some charitable people out there.

Went down that same road in 2000/2001. Was living in Moo 9 in the infamous 'luen thai' without electricity, together with plenty of gangsters. Thinking meself untouchable and one of them (this after a dozen years in the country, I might have known better, and at one time I did) I ended up bounced out of the country, disembarking in a cold rage at Newark International with no luggage and only beach clothes on in the middle of December, to find it activly patrolled by armed marines.

Got myself back to the LOS but quick and spent the next several years upcountry...putting things back into perspective...it was a wild and bloody dangerous ride and I'm lucky to have survived it.

Good luck to you Richard! It's a long road back...

You beat me to this!!! I fully concur with what you write as I'm sure that her pride in what she has done has made herself feel very good about herself, and deservedly so after the disgraceful handling of a potentially disastrous situation thanks to the abysmal handling of this case by the embassy staff in question. Take a bow Tracey and hang your heads in shame you pathetic embassy officials for not performing your jobs and doing your duty on this in a responsible manner!!! You are not worthy of your title.

Agree with what is mentioned above.

Tracey is certainly an angel.

Regarding the consulate looking after Brits abroad. I also beleive that you're on your own and wouldn't expect much help either.

British Consulates are far too concerned with the well being of other matters, like making money. I do believe that their outlook is "... you have a British passport so what more do you want ?".

Don't be fooled, you really are on your own.

Good on you Tracey!!

Professional British journalism at its best. The Nation is looking pretty good by comparison.

" made an incredibly recovery "

"for on and off for 12 years "

"Hewitt was first taken to by police to "

" run by former 'Chelsea Headhuner' "

Many thanks for pointing those literals out. I am sure it will happen again and again. You could of course stick to 'The Nation'.

Agree.

I personally don't feel a need to go overboard in critising the British Embassy. Mental health issues in people we know are difficult enough to deal with when it is someone we know. The problem is badly dealt with in the west at the best of times.

It takes an extraordinary amount of training, patience and experience to feel comfortable to know what to do. It also takes alot of compassion, which, Tracy appears to have loads of, but if we are to be honest with ourselves, I bet most of us here would have acted more like the brit embassy had.

Edited by samran

The British Embassy had seemingly written him off as either a 'feckless' Brit or perhaps as one Embassy employee apparently described him, unofficially and not without cause - 'a nutter'.

If this is true it's an utter disgrace, nobody, especially FCO employees should write anybody off, feckless or not, and for an employee to apparently describe the poor chap as "a nutter" beggars belief.

Mind you the police should also be ashamed for allowing this poor man to live in such a state.

Well done to Tracy, you are indeed a good samaritan.

I wish Mr Heweitt all the best for the future, you are certainly an example of how quickly things can go wrong.

Edited by theoldgit