PAD Gives 3-Day Ultimatum To Govt To Bring Back 2 Thais

webfact

ULTIMATUM GIVEN

PAD to govt: Bring back 2 Thais in 3 days

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_8135.jpg

The People's Alliance for Democracy Wednesday gave an ultimatum to the government to bring back two jailed Thais from Cambodia in three days.

The PAD threatened to intensify its protest if the government fails to bring back Veera Somkwamkid, a leader of the Thai Patriots Network, and Ratree Pipatanapaiboon, a Thai reporter, from Cambodia within three days.

PAD spokesman Parnthep Puapongphan said the PAD would urge the people to join a mass protest at the Makkhawan Bridge on Saturday to decide the government's fate if the 3-day deadline is not met.

On Tuesday, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court found Veera and Ratree guilty of espionage, illegal entry and trespassing in a military zone. These charges carry a maximum combined penalty of 11 years and six months.

Veera was sentenced to eight years behind bars and a fine of 1.8 million riel (about Bt18,000), while Ratree was given six years and fined 1.2 million riel (Bt12,000).

The two were among seven Thais arrested on December 29 while allegedly inspecting disputed border territory. The five other members of the group, including Democrat MP Panich Vikitsreth, received suspended sentences for illegal entry on January 21 and have since returned home.

"We will give the government three days. On Saturday, we will invite the people to gather at the Makkhawan Bridge. If the government fails to solve the problem, we will ask the people to make a decision as to how the government should be held responsible. We will ask the people to make a decision in the evening," Parnthep said.

Praphan Khoonmee, another PAD spokesman, alleged that the Thai government collaborated with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen to have Veera detained.

Praphan noted that the Thai government sought the release of five other Thais before Veera and Ratrere were given the jail terms.

Praphan also alleged that the Cambodian court acted against the two under the order of Hun Sen.

"We will intensify the protest to demand the [Thai] prime minister to take responsibility. The prime minister has already run out legitimacy to rule," Praphan said.

PAD co-leader Chamlong Srimuang said it was the fault of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva that caused the two Thais to be jailed.

"We will ask the people how the government should be held responsible. So far, we won't say yet as to whether we will demand the government's ouster or not," Chamlong said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-02

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call in Steven Segal or Chuck Norris. They're going to lead a team into Cambodia to get Veera out before the 3 day deadline.

I think Rambo has more experience in this area. And also speaks the same language...uhh uggg uh uga uh

One of my colleagues has an aunt who always attended the old PAD rallies, she was retired and it gave her a whole new bunch of friends, as well as some excitement and motivation in life- at that time it was get rid of evil square face.She hasn't joined the present rally though as it's hard to get excited on a long term basis about a few rai of disputed land.

Chamlong should call it off before the hot season begins, it's not right to call out all those old folks in the sun, even if they do enjoy the companionship.

It seems,like Thaksin,he doesn't know when to call it a day.

Didn't the PAD make this problem, from its start to where it is today? Aren't they the real problem, in this instance?

Maybe the government should tell them it is a PAD problem and they should solve it themselves. You know the longer I live here the more I love this country. To be honest I never know exactly whats going on but enjoy watching things evolve. It is pure pleasure being a spectator and knowing I have no real say, and what ever happens has little impact on my life. The only 2 things that do impact us foreigners is inflation and strength of the baht. Everything else is just a spectator activity. I want to thank thaivisa for letting us spectators having a place to talk.

What a ridiculous and stupid demand - have these people got any credibility? I thought these yellows were supposed to be the 'educated' Thai elite reps...? What <deleted>' morons. And how would they like that to be achieved? PM - please - bring in the water canon and the troops and wash these fools from the streets.

Edited by asiawatcher

Thai 'Yellows' vow protest after Cambodia verdict

BANGKOK, February 2, 2011 (AFP) - Thai "Yellow Shirts" vowed Wednesday to intensify protests in Bangkok after a high-profile nationalist activist was jailed for eight years in Cambodia, in a case that has raised border tensions.

The group issued an ultimatum threatening to step up their rally in the capital after Veera Somkwamkid -- a former leader of the Yellow movement -- and his secretary were sentenced by a Cambodian court on Tuesday.

"The Thai government has three days to comply with our demands, including bringing back those two people from Cambodia," said spokesman Parnthep Pourpongpan.

Hundreds of Yellow Shirts have camped out around the government's compound since last week, demonstrating against its handling of a border dispute with neighbouring Cambodia, and the group plans a larger rally on Saturday.

Despite relatively small numbers compared to their arch enemies -- the anti-government "Red Shirts" whose most recent rally attracted nearly 30,000 people -- protesters have managed to choke off streets around Government House.

Veera and Ratree Pipattanapaibul were were found guilty of illegal entry into Cambodia, trespassing on a military area and spying.

The pair were among seven Thais arrested in Cambodia on December 29 while they were inspecting disputed border territory.

The other five -- including a ruling party politician -- received suspended sentences for illegal entry on January 21 and have since returned to Thailand.

The Thailand-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

Thai Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said he was "disappointed" with the verdict.

He warned protesters to remain calm and said security had been stepped up around key government buildings and the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok.

"Do not let this verdict trigger violence, we must solve the issue in peaceful way," he said.

Yellow Shirts are a force to be reckoned with in Thailand's colour-coded politics and have helped to claim the scalps of three governments in under five years, including that of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Officially known as the People's Alliance for Democracy, they seized two Bangkok airports in late 2008, leaving more than 300,000 travellers stranded.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-02

"3 Day Ultimatum"! Surely my biggest laugh of the day. Or else they'll, what -

collectively hold their breath until blue in the face?

borrow the Reds catapults?

scream and bang fists into the Ratchprasong pavements?

Of course, this wasn't quite as good as the reports of a Red and Yellow collusion...

or, for that matter, those old BBC reports!

PAD spokesman Parnthep Puapongphan said the PAD would urge the people to join a mass protest at the Makkhawan Bridge on Saturday to decide the government's fate if the 3-day deadline is not met.

Ah well, better get a move on then. In Egypt, they got a million people gathered together, which will actually decide the Egyptian government's fate. How will PAD decide anything with their silly nationalistic spoutings??

These nutters need to grow up

Of course, this wasn't quite as good as the reports of a Red and Yellow collusion...

Eh how about closing the international airport in BKK, Phuket, Samui etc etc. Bringing the city to a standstill for days on end to really finish off the few tourists that have chosen to come here to holiday. There is plenty they can and will do if things don't change. Any way you look at it it isn't good for Thailand or its economy. :(

Protest Group Gives Govt 3-day Ultimatum

The People's Alliance for Democracy gives the government three days until this Saturday to show its responsibility for Cambodia's prison sentence against two Thai activists.

Core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Major General Chamlong Srimuang, said he is not surprised by the Cambodian court's imprisonment sentence against two activists Weera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pitpatthanapaiboon although their charges of espionage are implausible.

Chamlong said if Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjaiva met the PAD's three demands in the first place, such an incident would never have happened.

The PAD leader urged the prime minister to expedite his decision on how he will show responsibility before February 5, when the group will then ask for its protesters's opinions on how to hold Abhisit responsible for the matter.

He also said the PAD will never set ablaze the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok and if the arson takes place, his group or its major ally Dharma Army is not involved in the crime.

PAD spokesman Parnthep Puapongpan said the penalties against those two Thais are unfair and the Cambodian court has no jurisdiction to decide their cases since the area they were arrested is in Thailand.

Parnthep insisted the government must be held responsible for its failure to defend the country's right over its own territory which led to the ruling against the two.

Coordinator of the group, Prapan Khoonmee, said he sees the Cambodian court's ruling as a conspiracy between Abhisit and his counterpart Hun Sen to eliminate Weera, who is an adversary of both the Thai and Cambodian governments.

Prapan said the verdict on the two's spying charges was disgracefully unfair as the convicts were not permitted to present their side of story.

He reiterated the group did not accept the Cambodian court's ruling and it will fight until the end.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-02

footer_n.gif

We have an expression in French for this kind of people

"firefighter arsonist"

or "arsonist firefighter"?

Have you the same in English?

They hit a dog, the dog barks and show the teeth, then they tell "you see, it's dangerous, we have to kill it." Of course I don't mean that Khmer are dogs, it's just to explain the French "pompier pyromane".

What about "agent provocateur" or "sh*t stirrer"?

Edited by geovalin

"Eh how about closing the international airport in BKK, Phuket, Samui etc etc. Bringing the city to a standstill for days on end to really finish off the few tourists that have chosen to come here to holiday. There is plenty they can and will do if things don't change. Any way you look at it it isn't good for Thailand or its economy."

ANd due to the money involved, and egg on the face from almost a year ago,

one can bet that both the police and army are now, finally, ready and willing to deal with that kind of thing.

Even here in gentle ol' Siam.

Close the airport in Phuket? I rather think not!

and tourism is down as much from fears regarding limits to expendable cash, as much as anything else.

only those who think this is Taiwan think it dangerous here.

These people just get dafter.

As for the government allowing them to continue their protest and blocking off roads, did they learn nothing from last year with the red fiasco by not taking action earlier? They should not have been allowed there in the first place and the instigators should arrested and dealt with.

The gov have the powers to arrest and hold without trial just ask the incarcerated reds.They could then join forces in the nick and form the Orange movement.

"firefighter arsonist"

They hit a dog, the dog barks and show the teeth, then they tell "you see, it's dangerous, we have to kill it." Of course I don't mean that Khmer are dogs, it's just to explain the French "pompier pyromane".

Mmmmm, I think "sh*t stirrer" would in this instance, not be 100 miles of the mark.

Funny thing about sh*t though, it often sticks.:whistling:

<deleted>? Do these PAD jerkoffs have any grip on reality? They are going to hold the Thai government responsible? Oh well, why not, it's a national trait to NOT accept responsibility for your own actions.

I am a little fuzzy on Ratree. Why did she get such a harsh sentence? Was she with Veera the first time he was captured?

As for Veera, he knew what he was doing and now he should be left to his own devices to extracate himself from the mess of his own making. Personally, I think he, the rest of the PAD leadership AND the Red leadership should all be locked up for a good few years.

What a bunch of clowns. The sad thing is, aren't these (both red and yellow), the ones who want to run the country instead of the democrats? Talk about a lose lose situitation.

Eh how about closing the international airport in BKK, Phuket, Samui etc etc. Bringing the city to a standstill for days on end to really finish off the few tourists that have chosen to come here to holiday. There is plenty they can and will do if things don't change. Any way you look at it it isn't good for Thailand or its economy. :(

That was when they had numbers enough to actually be a threat.

Those days are wel and truly gone

"firefighter arsonist"

Mmmmm, I think "sh*t stirrer" would in this instance, not be 100 miles of the mark.

Funny thing about sh*t though, it often sticks.:whistling:

Sapeur/pompier/arsonist.

Yes, it is a particular mindset to be avoided.

What a ridiculous and stupid demand - have these people got any credibility? I thought these yellows were supposed to be the 'educated' Thai elite reps...? What <deleted>' morons. And how would they like that to be achieved? PM - please - bring in the water canon and the troops and wash these fools from the streets.

Just have to say I do agree with your above comments.

What is it with these people??? If I can understand and generally summarize the reports.

This gentleman Veera cross the border line into Cambodia.

He makes a telephone call back to someone in the PM's office and states he is in Cambodia now and has it filmed.

The file gets posted onto You Tube and is seen and heard by thousands of viewers

He would apparently know if he was in Cambodian territory as he was arrested by the Cambo army just 4 months ago in the same approx location.

Then in court he states he never left Thai soil and didn't enter CAmbodia.

If all of this was ONLY reported in The Nation, then maybe one could understand in its entirity. But it is an many varied media and even seen/heard internationally

What type of retarded intelligence could be motivating this man???

Having lived here for some 20 odd plus years, I can only arrive at a conclusion as thus.

A certain level of Thai individual , all their life, is able to tell [even make up} any story and the remainder of Thais must believe it. Never mind how crazy or impossible the story may be, others must believe what this person says.

... And these certain level of Thai persons, lives on the image they wish to portray and project. Never mind the fact that what they may say or do , would possible have them committed in a developed country.

They portray the image of being educated, for they have a certificate, but in all probablilty cannot read it. They have put in their time but have not been educated, but they have the certificate and all the photos of flowers and mother crying near someone in a cap & gown.

What type of education could this man Veera have possibly recieved that would/could lead him to the conclusion that his way is the correct way and he is above all others , even with regard to the laws of other countries. Could he not see that he is not the Thai Government and in reality has no right or jurisdiction to make any demands of another country?

The problem is again 'self perceived image'.

I can only assume that Mr. Veera thought that he would be viewed with great face in doing the crossing.

Too many of these people of both or all shirt colors, are doing what they do for one thing.

That is rooted in their own personal financial or egotistical gain and nothing else.

They will jump out of a airplane without thinking and then try and put the blame on someone or anyone else for not having a parachute. My heavens , it couldn't be their fault....

These self centered people are in all parties, in power and out of power. Read EGOTISTS

Lots of mouth and very little brains.

Now they are demanding a 3 day limit for someone else to clean up the mess their own stupidity created.

Again , not red shirt, not yellow shirt, but all shirts ....

.... and whats with this name Veera ? Does every party or shirt color have to have one????

Gen. Chamlong, you WERE one man that this falang had the greatest respect for for many, many years. What happened? Where has your thought process gone ???

:(:(

Quite Right, Gonzo. Remember when Chamlong was Maha Chamlong? Haven't heard THAT in many a year!

Once upon a time I actually liked him, or what he appeared to be,

but that was 20 years ago, and although I'd lived in BKK as early as '64 (as a kid),

I simply didn't understand about social climbing, short-sighted greed, avarice and other foolishness

which we've all had our faces rubbed in so much now it hurts.

It also hurts to feel myself becoming something like a conservative,

but really, the 'ideals' of these poseurs simply don't exist.

And to play right into Hun Sewn's hands - how low can you go?

Ok next saturday another useless protest.As I said in another thread already,this country is clearly in self destroy mode.

By the way I need to go to Bangkok in the coming 2 months and have only time during the weekend.Is there a chance that I will make it without running into a protest demonstration from the red-yellow-blue-green-brown or whatever color the rainbow has.

Now i am convinced PAD has officially lost the plot.

3 days and/or then WHAT?

Start war with Cambodia? sure let all the PAD leaders and demonstrators dress in army uniform, give them guns and let them go fight for their ultimatums with Cambodia.

I have a feeling if the government was to give them this option-they will all run away.(joke)

I am struggling to comprehend how educated, somewhat rational men can make ultimatums like this.

PAD gives govt 3 days to help 2 Thais

BANGKOK, 2 February 2011 (NNT) – The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has issued an ultimatum for the government to save the two Thai border crossers from the Cambodian prison within three days.

PAD core leaders Major General Chamlong Srimuang, Panthep Puapongpan and Prapan Koonmee said at a press conference that the PAD will intensify its rally if the government show no responsibility on the case.

The Cambodian court on Tuesday sentenced Thai Patriots Network coordinator Veera Somkwamkid and his secretary Ratree Pipatanapaiboon to prison terms of 8 years and 6 years respectively plus fines for illegal entry, trespassing into a military zone and espionage.

Major General Chamlong said the judgment clearly reflected the failure of the Thai government to protect the national sovereignty since it has never denied the Cambodian court’s authority to try the two Thais. Instead, he said the government had admitting that the two did intrude into the Cambodian soil.

The PAD core leader added that there had been corruption practices reported throughout the two years of administration of the Democrat-led government. He proclaimed that the government no longer has the legitimacy to rule the nation.

Major General Chamlong said the government must show responsibility by bringing the two Thais back within three days. Otherwise, he said, the PAD would seek a consensus from its supporters on 5 February 2011 on further actions to be taken against the government.

The PAD core leader however confirmed that the PAD would not resort to violence to pressure Cambodia via its embassy in Thailand; nor would it burn any offices.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-02 footer_n.gif

PAD gives government 3 day deadline to bring home two Thais jailed in Cambodia

BANGKOK, Feb 2 -- The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Wednesday gave an ultimatum to the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to bring home two Thais from Cambodia in three days, warning that otherwise it will launch an intensified move to pressure the government.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday handed down an eight-year jail term and a 1.8 million riel (US$450) fine for Veera Somkwamkid, coordinator of the Thai Patriots Network, and a six-year jail term and a 1.2 million riel (US$300) fine for his secretary, Ratree Pipattanapaiboon, finding them both guilty of espionage, illegal entry and trespassing in a military zone.

PAD 'Yellow Shirt' spokesman Panthep Puapongphan said the ruling against Mr Veera and Ms Ratree was unfair and the court has no authority to rule the case as the pair were arrested by Cambodian soldiers in Thai territory.

He said the PAD was disappointed that the government not only did not reject the Cambodian court's jurisdiction, but also distorted the information suggesting that the Thais had actually trespassed into Cambodia.

Mr Panthep noted that the jail sentence was tantamount to forcing both Mr Veera and Ms Ratree to confess that they illegally entered Cambodian territory in order to force them seek a royal pardon which he described as showing disdain for Thai dignity. The PAD spokesman said he believed the pair would fight the case to the end.

The Yellow Shirt protesters have been encamped on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue since Jan 25 with no sign that they would disperse unless Thailand withdraws from the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, revoke three memoranda of understanding signed by the members of the Thai-Cambodian Joint Boundary Commission (JBC), and eject Cambodian soldiers and villagers in disputed border areas the group claims belong to Thailand.

Mr Panthep said the PAD gave a 3-day ultimatum to the Abhisit government to bring home Mr Veera and Ms Ratree and if the demand was ignored, the PAD will on Saturday night seek a consensus from its protesters on how government should be held responsible for what happened to the two Thais.

PAD leader Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang said if the government successfully brought them home, it did not mean that the PAD would end its protest and the group will not hold talks with the government.

However he pledged that the Yellow Shirts would not take their protest to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok nor plan to burn the embassy as the group would never apply pressure on any country through its embassy.

In a related development, Thai Patriots Network leadership group member Chaiwat Sinsuwong said he questioned the ruling as the court took only 30 minutes to hand down its verdict.

He said the network would petition any related international courts to consider the ongoing dispute between Thailand and Cambodia, and to protect the human rights of the Thais detained in Cambodian prison.

The PAD network is camped on Phitsanulok Road, not far from Government House, to protest the government's handling the issue.

He said protesters would march to the Foreign Ministry this afternoon to show support for ministry officials who had earlier issued a statement demanding that Cambodia remove both the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda, built by the Cambodian government, and the Cambodian flag flying over the pagoda.

However, the PAD protesters at the same time demanded the removal of Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya for not responding to its demand that he act to secure the release of the two Thais. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-02-02

Just goes to show, this whole thing has nothing to do with Cambodia. It's all a contrived mess for the benefit of Thai internal politics. Not the orderly government versus the opposition type seen in a real democracy, but the messy Thai type, with third, fourth, fifth hands and feet, fingers, and toes stuck in and stirring, but out of the camera shot.

There is/was no border crisis. Cambodia was well within its rights to sentence the fools, given their previous history of illegal entry, declared aspirations of stirring up trouble in what Cambodia considers its territory, history of violence, and outright stupidity in posting admissions of illegal entry on youtube. I would consider that keeping them out of Cambodia or at least making sure they can't stir up trouble, via a lengthy jail term, is definitely in Cambodia's national interests.

And for their supporters in Thailand it's worth remembering that criticism of a court verdict is a crime here in Thailand. The impunity they've enjoyed in Thailand really doesn't translate into Khmer, does it now?

Well I agree they have lots of options. but no man power. Unless they come up with free lunches and a couple of hundred baht in them they are just a bunch of burned out Wanna Be's desperately trying to make there lives feel meaningful.

Because they had a what they considered a plausible reason to get some of the mentally challenged (on the pay roll) to shut down two airports they think they can get the support to Try to get the government to start a war.