Ubon Ratchathani

jay-uk

Hi Group

Just wondered if any members lived in or near Ban Na Udom just out of town off the Chayankul Road. My wife and I have a house there and wanted to know if there are any farangs close who wished to keep in contact with someone from there area. If so feel free to send a private PM.

Jay

Also... if anyone knows what is going on just next to Ban Na Udom (direction amphur muang sansip just leaving the city, as there is a lot of soil (50+ rai) been dropped. Is this where the new Carefour supermarket is rumoured to be? if anyone knows more please post me a reply. Thanks.

Hi jay,

Been told that the area your asking about is to be a new index furniture and building materials depot/shop but rumours are just that - I remenber the ones that came out when bigC was being built and then all work stopped for about a year and the romour machine went into overdrive!

Edited by thaibites0

Hi Group

Just wondered if any members lived in or near Ban Na Udom just out of town off the Chayankul Road.  My wife and I have a house there and wanted to know if there are any farangs close who wished to keep in contact with someone from there area.  If so feel free to send a private PM.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I am part time in Phibun Mangsahan, but working in Singapore. Can't see either place on my map, how many km from Ubon city centre and in which direction ? Where else does the road lead to ?

cheers,

Mike

Dear All,

Its just oposite the new government housing projects. There must be 500+ houses recently built and the land nearly opposite on the other side of the Chayangkul Rd has been cleared for something. We were told it was a supermarket recently by the locals, but i've also heard car lot, christian church! strangely enough, market and a story about a builders merchant. However, i'm back in UK at the moment and cannot get a clearer picture of what is proposed for that area. You can't miss it, conservatively there is 50+ rai where soil has been dropped & levelled. Any news keep me posted. Thanks.

Jay

Thanks for taking the initiative and going to take a look. If you find out anything it would be great as our second home is not far away. I think and hope it is the shopping mall rumour tha's the most acurate because of the reaction of the locals discussing land prices etc in the area.

Jay,

Just compared your pic with some I took today and don't think they are the same place - this area is said to be the new index shopping area according to the wifes fellow teachers and if your place is any further out of town I'd be very surprised if it was going to be a major shopping complex.

If I get the chance tomorrow I'll go with the wife after school and have another look for your area.

post-16800-1126006315_thumb.jpg

If the Index furniture store in town is always empty,why would they open a replacement store outside of town?If it is a shopping mall,why not put it out of town?Plenty of parking space instead of the mess around Big C every weekend.

People around here do have cars,or use the songthaew to get into Ubon.

I hope it is a shopping mall,to take away some of the traffic at weekends.

The traffic on Chayangkun Road for the recent OTOP fair was very bad.

The land I refer to is further out of town just past the recycling bottle factory on the right hand side of the dual carriageway and opposite the government housing projects. If you carry on after the governemnt housing for another five minutes by car (a couple of kms) there is also a small market as you leave town on the left. I think I know the land you have photographed and I think the one you mention is close to the 7/11 oposite side. Thanks guys for the input.

Jay

Bluescouse,

It's just rumours mate but one reason Index would move is if they were offered enough money for the very expensive plot in the town to be able to buy a bigger area and build a larger, better store and money left over to put in the bank! The price of land along Chiangkul road in the town has rocketed (good news for us as we are on the road and our plot is on a soi corner) and it has happened before.

Sorry Jay but I really do think your too far out of town to be looking at a major shopping complex and my bet would be more housing but I will try to get out there and take a couple of pics to show you the current state of the land - you must be out by 'kilo 5' and we too have some land out there so any form of building is good for the land prices.

My lads driving over to pick me up for lunch so I might be able to pop over this afternoon and have a look, maybe there'll be some obvious signs as to what it's going to be and it's just my opinion that it's unlikely to be a new superstore area - we're all wrong sometimes! :o

Your wife might recognise this car dealers from yesterdays drive - a guy here told me Index too.

post-16800-1126068826_thumb.jpg

Bluescouse,

It's just rumours mate but one reason Index would move is if they were offered enough money for the very expensive plot in the town to be able to buy a bigger area and build a larger, better store and money left over to put in the bank! The price of land along Chiangkul road in the town has rocketed (good news for us as we are on the road and our plot is on a soi corner) and it has happened before.

Sorry Jay but I really do think your too far out of town to be looking at a major shopping complex and my bet would be more housing but I will try to get out there and take a couple of pics to show you the current state of the land - you must be out by 'kilo 5' and we too have some land out there so any form of building is good for the land prices.

My lads driving over to pick me up for lunch so I might be able to pop over this afternoon and have a look, maybe there'll be some obvious signs as to what it's going to be and it's just my opinion that it's unlikely to be a new superstore area - we're all wrong sometimes!  :o

Your wife might recognise this car dealers from yesterdays drive - a guy here told me Index too.

My wife is from Ubon Ratchathani, so I visit quite often, my Dad who is in his 70s and retired usually spends 4-5 months with the in-laws during the UK winter months. We both play golf and often go to the army course. Any one else a golfer? or maybe there is already a small expat golfing group in the area?

Thaibites

Your right about the land prices at the moment. My wife and I purchased 3 rai for 1.5million baht three years ago 50 yards off the the chayangkul road. We have been told since it has gone up to 800,000 per rai and we've already had two passers by asking if they could buy a plot from us. Just hope the bubble doesn't burst too soon. We've got another 5 rai in the village back in Siskaket which has not risen in price at all but that's a different story it cost virtually nothing to buy.

Jay

Edited by jay-uk

Pretty sure this is it but as you see - not a lot happened!

Would still say it's a pretty silly place for anybody with business acumen to build anything for a mass market - the buying power of the people over the road is very limited and anybody travelling there from anywhere other than Amnat choeron would have to pass all the big malls already open in Ubon but only time will tell.

Pretty sure this is it but as you see - not a lot happened!

Would still say it's a pretty silly place for anybody with business acumen to build anything for a mass market - the buying power of the people over the road is very limited and anybody travelling there from anywhere other than Amnat choeron would have to pass all the big malls already open in Ubon but only time will tell.

post-16800-1126091739_thumb.jpg