Long Boats

ray23

Went out for a day ride with guys here in Udon from the Phantom shop, just never know what is going to come up. We were down in Si Chaing Mia area, ate at a Wat for free, must be some kind of Holiday but I couldn't get anyone to let me in on the secret, so just guessing.

Swung in along the rivrer walk area of Si Chaing Mia and it was wall to wall people, they were having long boat races. Really something t see, must be at least 40 people in each boat, paddeling like crazy and in perfect unison. I hadn't seen it before and neither had my wife.

Ray, was the river level such that this was not to dangerous? Have to ask was this the beginning of lent for the Monks to be finished with the Loy Kathong? Not sure if Lent is the right word but somtning like that. Wife said look at Buddist calendar. I don't have one.

YOu need to be in NKP when they have the boat parade when this is happens. It is called Lua Fire. They make these big boats out of bamboo and light them with candles. Better get hotel resverations now if they can be had as I doubt it. It is a big deal and quite interesting.

later

Ray, was the river level such that this was not to dangerous?  Have to ask was this the beginning of lent for the Monks to be finished with the Loy Kathong?  Not sure if Lent is the right word but somtning like that.  Wife said look at Buddist calendar.  I don't have one.

YOu need to be in NKP when they have the boat parade when this is happens.  It is called Lua Fire.  They make these big boats out of bamboo and light them with candles.  Better get hotel resverations now if they can be had as I doubt it.  It is a big deal and quite interesting.

later

Actually the river level looked to me to be a bit lower then when we saw it three weeks ago. I don't have Budhist calender either, but we visited two Wats that day something these guys don't norkmally do on rides. The wife got her string for good luck also something different, but for the life of me I have no idea what was going on. The free food and drinks at the second Wat. My wife couldn't give me an answer nor could the other two thia wives who were on the trip.

That sounds like Loi Ka Tong in NKP they do it wiht small 6 inch boats here and lots of small hot air ballons. NKP sound like that might be fun and definetly worth seeing

Swung in along the rivrer walk area of Si Chaing Mia and it was wall to wall people, they were having long boat races. Really something t see, must be at least 40 people in each boat, paddeling like crazy and in perfect unison. I hadn't seen it before and neither had my wife.

Howdy Ray23,

Was there someone sitting in the front of the boat facing the rowers and useing a drum to keep beat for the rowers?If so we always called these Dragon boat races.They really are somrthing to see.

Enjoy your life, :o

Hey Ray, Hows it going?

I had the wife call her sister in Ban Paeng (where else) to get more info. I am still not sure the right word is lent but it is the one they are using. They say it starts in Nong Khai area and ends in NKP during Loy Khathong. Thought I would tell a bit more about it.

In NKP district each major school district builds a monster float of bamboo to actually be floated down mae nam kong thru NKP. These things have thousands of candles. Did I mention it was done at night. The place is a total party town and lots of people with the schools trying to win this competions. My wifes sisters husband is the schools keeper and son a teacher so if I am in country I get in on the fun. Will not be there this year but hope to be there next year. maybe we can double team it then. but if you can find a hotel room this year I think you will find it a hoot. Heck walking the night market in NKP and just eating your way thru it is a trip in itself.

later

Hey Ray, Hows it going?

I had the wife call her sister in Ban Paeng (where else) to get more info.  I am still not sure the right word is lent but it is the one they are using.  They say it starts in Nong Khai area and ends in NKP during Loy Khathong.  Thought I would tell a bit more about it.

In NKP district each major school district builds a monster float of bamboo to actually be floated down mae nam kong thru NKP.  These things have thousands of candles.  Did I mention it was done at night.  The place is a total party town and lots of people with the schools trying to win this competions.  My wifes sisters husband is the schools keeper and son a teacher so if I am in country I get in on the fun.  Will not be there this year but hope to be there next year.  maybe we can double team it then.  but if you can find a hotel room this year I think you will find it a hoot.  Heck walking the night market in NKP and just eating your way thru it is a trip in itself.

later

Well thanks for the info on the holiday. No I didn't see or hear a drum a lone paddler in the rear seemed to be calling the rythem.

NKP sounds like a good trip, I'll see if I can make this year.

Thank

Ray.