Horrific

MYMA

I have been reading this forum for awhile and this is the first post I am making. I am writing this because I am so troubled by what I saw today and thought that maybe if I get it off my chest I may be able to deal with it better.

I was at Warrorot Market today shortly after lunchtime to buy some flowers. As I was walking down the street I heard what can only be described as a horrific sound, I turned around and right behind me were two men, one with a clever who was repeatedly cleving the other man on the head and neck. The other man was attempting to fight back with whatever might he could and everyone was watching like a deer in headlights. There was alot of blood. My first instinct was to get the ###### out of there... It all happened very fast. Did anyone else hear of this today? I wonder if that poor man survived and what happened to the attacker.

Has anyone ever seen or dealt with something like this before? I just feel terrible about the whole thing.

It is not common, but Thai on Thia, it is not unknown unfortunatley.

I have been here a year and have never witnessed any violence anywhere I have been (thats not to say it does not happen). If you are new to CM then you were very unlucky, but obviously not as unlucky as the guy on the receiving end.

from what I understand Thai's will not interupt what could be classed as a family fued or vendetta, its not like home, although you've gotta have some balls to tackle a guy with a meat cleaver in his hand.

i saw a young thai man beaten with bottles and fists and then kicked to death by a crowd of drunken thai guys , right in front of me on soi cowboy , mid afternoon whilst the street was crowded with songkraan revellers in april this year.

nobody really got involved except one falang who was quickly pulled away by other thais.

i'd never seen violence like that up close , and it left me shaken up and unable to sleep properly for a couple of nights. the lads head and face looked like a burst watermelon.

the police arrived quickly , but made no attempts to apprehend the assailants who were still there. the police didnt even bother to clear a path through the crowd so that a car could come in and take the poor lad away , he died an hour later in hospital i was told the next day.

only a brave fool would have stepped in to try and stop it. it was an ultra violent blur of fast moving high powered punches, kicks to the head and broken bottles.

i dont know what he said or did to bring down that onslaught upon him.

Edited by taxexile

Yes, it is awful to see something like that, very emotionally disturbing

sorry for you, it will stay with you some time, but will get less

I saw something like that in Songkran right in front of Daret guesthouse, guys beating up one guy until too much blood...it took me a long time to accept it

never mind

Been around Thailand for 45 years, never seen it but know it does happen when the lid comes off. Many years ago an international flight crashed taking off from Don Muang and there was a shocking scene as village folks tore through the bodies grabbing rings, wallets, etc. Resulted in a lot of soul searching among the Thai. Suppose if you look at European history you'll find much the same, often dolled up as heroics. Not to speak of movies and computer games. Makes one hesitate before doing rash things like kicking the sides of cars that don't heed pedestrians.

• 1 month later...
the police arrived quickly , but made no attempts to apprehend the assailants who were still there.

a friend of mine who was in the police officer academy told of the teaching to not interfere when people were fighting. wait for the fight to stop, then apprehend both when they were exhausted! :-). we got a good laugh.

through the years, i read many news accounts of good samaritans getting stabbed, or shot at, or killed while interfereing in a violence in action. this happened to thais, farangs, and even police. so it seems the training sarge at the academy knew what he was talking about

a friend of mine who was in the police officer academy told of the teaching to not interfere when people were fighting. wait for the fight to stop, then apprehend both when they were exhausted! :-). we got a good laugh.

what are the police trained to do when the fight leads to the death of one of them?

in the incident that i witnessed , the fight was over by the time the police arrived , but the assailants had not yet left the area and were pointed out to the police , but the police made no attempt to arrest them.

is that part of the training given to thai police?

the police made no effort to interview any witnesses or do anything at all in the furtherance of justice. watching the 2 policemen stand around as the fatally injured lad was lying convulsing and bleeding to death was just as shocking as seeing the fight.

[edited for thai-baiting]