BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Nipple Alert: Staying Abreast Of Nude On Our Beaches

:o What hippy bus have you just jumped from? You're seriously comparing men being topless in public to women!!

The fact of the matter is, topless women on beaches IS against what Thai people consider normal behaviour. People are getting confused with what's tollerated by Thais and what is normal practice.

Thai people know that trying to inforce such a thing, at tourist destinations would be futile. That is not the same thing as them finding it acceptable and being happy that it happens. They just tolerate it as they do most other obnoxious behaviour by Farangs.

People constantly talk about hypocrisy, when it come to the laws and customs here. So what? What's that got to do with you or any other Farang. You're not in a position to question the law here.

The "not finding it acceptable" part will eventually manifest itself in other forms. It will eventually grow to an intolerance of "obnoxious behavior by farangs" and blow up somewhere at some point. I already see it in many areas and many cases where the once very tolerant Thais here are giving as much abuse as they now take from obnoxious tourists. Even Thai tolerance has its limits it seems.

Phuket Opinion: Beach nipples not naughty

PHUKET: I note there is no space [for a reader to] comment on Blair Christopher's online story 'Phuket Nipple Alert: Staying abreast of nude on our beaches'.

So [as a Phuket resident] I'd like to comment here on how it is apparently perfectly acceptable for the male walking along the beach in the accompanying picture to have his nipples and rather prominent breasts uncovered.

I'm quite sure that up until the religion-obsessed colonialists began spreading their uptight, sexist anti-female doctrines, that indigenous women walked around the tropics all over the globe, freely bare chested in order to best enjoy the cool breezes.

The genital-izing and criminalization of women's chests has been fought in the US and women in New York City now enjoy freedom like most of their European counterparts.

I urge resistance to blatant, unfair sexism.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-02-13

:o What hippy bus have you just jumped from? You're seriously comparing men being topless in public to women!!

The fact of the matter is, topless women on beaches IS against what Thai people consider normal behaviour. People are getting confused with what's tollerated by Thais and what is normal practice.

Thai people know that trying to inforce such a thing, at tourist destinations would be futile. That is not the same thing as them finding it acceptable and being happy that it happens. They just tolerate it as they do most other obnoxious behaviour by Farangs.

People constantly talk about hypocrisy, when it come to the laws and customs here. So what? What's that got to do with you or any other Farang. You're not in a position to question the law here.

clap2.gifhear hear!!

The "not finding it acceptable" part will eventually manifest itself in other forms. It will eventually grow to an intolerance of "obnoxious behavior by farangs" and blow up somewhere at some point. I already see it in many areas and many cases where the once very tolerant Thais here are giving as much abuse as they now take from obnoxious tourists. Even Thai tolerance has its limits it seems.

If that's what it takes for the average joe to stop thinking he's the centre of the universe, and that he can do what ever he wants, regardless of who it upsets, then so be it.

All the Thai haters on this forum (who bizarrely seem to be plentiful for a Thailand Forum) won't agree, but Thai people, for the best part, are too tolerant for their own good. So for them to turn around and say enough is enough one day, might not be a bad thing.

med_gallery_35489_952_48836.jpg

Absolutely disgusting! Never seen anything like it in my life. How dare these young ladies walk around carrying pieces of white cardboard with 'censored' written on it?

If that's what it takes for the average joe to stop thinking he's the centre of the universe, and that he can do what ever he wants, regardless of who it upsets, then so be it.

All the Thai haters on this forum (who bizarrely seem to be plentiful for a Thailand Forum) won't agree, but Thai people, for the best part, are too tolerant for their own good. So for them to turn around and say enough is enough one day, might not be a bad thing.

Although I know what you're saying, I would disagree that it's a good thing. In fact we're now the ones that are all painted with the same brush. Even the best intentioned farangs will be judged by the bad behavior of the worst of them.

Interesting, given that toplessness of either sex only became stigmatised with American funded Thai-ification (or perhaps '-fiction' would be a more accurate term)

Many times here in Kamala i have approched topless females and told them that this is a Moslem communnity and to please cover up as they are offending their host.

I'd say 95% of them should not have gone topless in the privacy of their own homes much less in Public. :bah:

Some would cover up and apologize and say they didn't know, some would say its not my country, others would tell me that no thai had told them that so they assumed it was ok,

There should be signs on every beach that it is NOT acceptable behavior in Thailand. Note not just the words but a pair of sagging breasts with a big red X thru them

You actually walk around the beach telling topless females to cover up....Get a life!

Prostitution has been in thailand for ????

The trade in sex as quoted in many places such as

http://www.sexwork.com/Thailand/traditiions.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand

You will find this event as the turning point for prostitution in thailand legal or not.

clearly indicate that the sex trade (sex tourism) not Prostitution was introduces when the Amenicans used thailand for RnR

Err No, I dont have to state who and how things happen, they just happen. and for the good of the girls and families.

Err, no. Sex trade was not introduced in Thailand by the Americans in the sixties. And if it is on decline, then please give your information source to that. And tell how you and other heroes (how many?) are shutting down brothels, clubs and pubs here. And where you do it. And as that would be classified as work, I take it you have work permits for it?

Interesting note, where did you find this version or are you just another thai hater that wants to impose european standards in thailand for your own satisfaction with no interest in the local standards or rules and people.

Sex tourism began with tourists? interesting contribution.

What a crock this thread is. Western women can not go topless on the beach because it goes against Thai culture. Thai's are for the most part fully dressed at the beach, or under an umbrella. They don't want their skin dark. It makes them look like a farm worker, they want light skin. Culture, and styles change. Any Vietnam vet can tell you that in Vietnam, Lao and Thailand it was not uncommon for women to be working in the rice fields topless. Sure they wore tops in the cities, the cities had western influence. Ladies in the cities dressed like western women, and tried to keep the sun off their skin. The west brought them the bra as well, and even worse, the padded bra so they could look like big breasted western women.

In my own country, it was considered bad manners for a man not to wear a hat in public from the 1920's until the late 1940's. It was the culture of the era, and has since changed. Check out a beach picture from 1922, every man on the beach is wearing a straw hat. Have you ever seen a man not in costume wear a hat like that?

OK, westerners are coming to Thailand in droves. Thailand is becoming more multicultural. Again they will follow western influence. As more European women come to Thai beaches, the more being topless will become acceptable. It won't be any different than a beach in France, or sunbathing Russians. People that cling to tightly to old traditions, culture and styles are usually disappointed, as they always change.

post-90387-0-15976100-1319131960_thumb.j

post-90387-0-44491700-1319131975_thumb.j

post-90387-0-81165600-1319131987_thumb.j

What a crock this thread is. Western women can not go topless on the beach because it goes against Thai culture. Thai's are for the most part fully dressed at the beach, or under an umbrella. They don't want their skin dark. It makes them look like a farm worker, they want light skin. Culture, and styles change. Any Vietnam vet can tell you that in Vietnam, Lao and Thailand it was not uncommon for women to be working in the rice fields topless. Sure they wore tops in the cities, the cities had western influence. Ladies in the cities dressed like western women, and tried to keep the sun off their skin. The west brought them the bra as well, and even worse, the padded bra so they could look like big breasted western women.

In my own country, it was considered bad manners for a man not to wear a hat in public from the 1920's until the late 1940's. It was the culture of the era, and has since changed. Check out a beach picture from 1922, every man on the beach is wearing a straw hat. Have you ever seen a man not in costume wear a hat like that?

OK, westerners are coming to Thailand in droves. Thailand is becoming more multicultural. Again they will follow western influence. As more European women come to Thai beaches, the more being topless will become acceptable. It won't be any different than a beach in France, or sunbathing Russians. People that cling to tightly to old traditions, culture and styles are usually disappointed, as they always change.

Thailand is not your country. It is against the law here.

I asked some of the Thai women in my local bar what they thought of the female tourists who went topless on the beach. Their response was that they did not like it, (definitely goes against Buddhist and Islamic culture), but that they assumed these women were prostitutes in their home countries...

So, if you're foreign and female, and think the local Thais are not concerned when you break the law, perhaps you will think again when you understand what they really think about you :)

Simon