Phuket Murder Suspect Lee Aldhouse In Court

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: Phuket murder suspect Lee Aldhouse in court

phuket-1-ukbhKpX.jpg

Aldhouse will return to Westminster Magistrates Court (pictured) on March 1.

Photo: Tagish Simon

PHUKET: -- Phuket “kickbox murder” suspect Lee Aldhouse appeared in Westminster Magistrates Court in London on Tuesday for an extradition hearing following a request from the Thai authorities, the UK Home Office has confirmed.

He will remain in custody in the UK until at least March 1, when he will return to the same court for extradition proceedings, Sam Eversden of the UK Home Office told Phuket Gazette editors this afternoon.

Aldhouse, originally from Birmingham, is wanted for the stabbing murder of 23-year-old US Marine Dashawn Longfellow in Rawai in August of last year.

Aldhouse was able to escape Thailand via Cambodia while an international manhunt of almost two weeks failed to find him.

He was arrested on arrival at Heathrow Airport in London on an outstanding warrant issued after he fled the UK while out on bail for a previous offense.

Intranee Sumawong, Executive Director of International Affairs at the Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok, told the Gazette earlier today that the British authorities have yet to tell her office how long the extradition process will take.

“At present, the court [in London] is hearing his testimony and allowing him to present a defense against extradition to Thailand.

“If he objects to extradition, he will have to provide sufficient evidence for them to consider,” Mrs Intranee said.

The UK will not extradite its citizens to any country for charges that include execution as punishment, she said.

“This case isn’t easy as he [Aldhouse] is British and the British government will protect its citizens as best they can,” she added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-02-03

So if the extradition process fails (most likely IMHO) does he walk free? If so I wouldn't want to be in his shoes in light of the fact his, alledged, victim was a US Marine, I'm sure his friends won't let him get away with it.

So if the extradition process fails (most likely IMHO) does he walk free? If so I wouldn't want to be in his shoes in light of the fact his, alledged, victim was a US Marine, I'm sure his friends won't let him get away with it.

yes he would, but i am not sure if the marines family could take cival action against Aldhouse ??

but it would be interesting to know if the would hold a trail without him presant ? , as if they did, if he was found guilty and traveled to another country , the thai could get him there

Maybe America the world police can slap some sort of patriot charge on him and have him kidnapped and taken to G-mo for a couple of years.

He did kill an American soldier after all. Brits have been kidnapped and tortured for years in American military prisons for a lot less.

Edited by appropriate

Most likely Thailand will take the death penalty off of the table to get this scumbag back to Thailand where he can enjoy the delights of the close quarters in the Bangkok Hilton

I thought I read some time back that the Thai authorities had taken the death penalty off the table. Need to wade through the old news articles.

“This case isn’t easy as he [Aldhouse] is British and the British government will protect its citizens as best they can,” she added.

Yeah right. I guess she didn't hear about the British guy with mental issues locked up like a dog while the embassy staff left it to a good samaritan to assist him.

Most likely Thailand will take the death penalty off of the table to get this scumbag back to Thailand where he can enjoy the delights of the close quarters in the Bangkok Hilton

Let's hope so.

From all I've read this is a truly nasty piece of work that needs to spend the rest of his life in a prison without hope of parole.

Thailand prisons are noted by the world as being inhumane ,So unless Thailand wants to spend Billions on its prison system Very Doubtful) & treat prisoners humanely & with dignity then nobody that has their feet on European soil will ever be extradited to Thailand because it will breach their human rights.

Thailand prisons are noted by the world as being inhumane ,So unless Thailand wants to spend Billions on its prison system Very Doubtful) & treat prisoners humanely & with dignity then nobody that has their feet on European soil will ever be extradited to Thailand because it will breach their human rights.

How about the human rights of the people these killers destroy ?

Is the concept of European human rights so great that these sick bastards can commit crimes with impunity just because they are European :bah:

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime

How about the human rights of the people these killers destroy

Under EU law they don't have any. Just criminals and terrorists have them it appears. In the UK we cannot even deport people who a direct threat to the country. We can't even deport people back to Greece for crying out loud as it is deemed to be unsafe. One of the most popular UK holiday destinations. I fear that this guy along with tax pare funded lawyer will play the human rights card for all it is worth and it will drag on for years. All the time he will be in some of the cushiest prisons in the world.

The UK is a joke now. :(

How about the human rights of the people these killers destroy ?

Is the concept of European human rights so great that these sick bastards can commit crimes with impunity just because they are European :bah:

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime

Innocent until proven guilty.

Extradition proceedings can take a long time, but he isn't off the hook.

He can be tried in Thailand and serve his sentence in the UK. Since he is a UK national, the UK might have jurisdiction in this case as well.

There is also the possibility of being extradited to the US, s the victim was a US-national, which gives the US jurisdiction as well.

EU regulations state that one cannot be extradited to another country if one possibly faces the death penalty. But if a countries assures that in this case the death penalty will not be given than there is no objection.

He can try it on expected inhumane treatment etc, but don't know about the chances of that.

False- many Europeans (inlcuding Brits) have been extradited to Thailand , happens all the time.

Maybe America the world police can slap some sort of patriot charge on him and have him kidnapped and taken to G-mo for a couple of years.

He did kill an American soldier after all. Brits have been kidnapped and tortured for years in American military prisons for a lot less.

Forget the word Brits in your quote, You mean non native UK residence eh. :ermm:

I wasn't talking civil action, rather more a 'brotherhood' justice by his marine friends.

You must have been reading too many GI Joe comics. Pure fantasy!

Can't we just stick to the facts of this case?

There are NO facts other than maybe the OP, just speculation, so what are you on about?

I wasn't talking civil action, rather more a 'brotherhood' justice by his marine friends.

You must have been reading too many GI Joe comics. Pure fantasy!

Can't we just stick to the facts of this case?

There are NO facts other than maybe the OP, just speculation, so what are you on about?

I am referring to your 'brotherhood' justice comment.

Perhaps even more likely, the Thai Govt really doesn't want to pursue this and will make a halfhearted extradition attempt so that they can tell the US Embassy that they "tried but the UK wouldn't cooperate"