Passport Less Than 6 Months Left

Hi all,

A friend of mine is due to fly into Bangkok on Saturday, and he has 2 days short of 6 months left on his passport.

Does anyone know if he'll be refused entry? I know the official ruling is that you must have 6 months validity, but how strict is this? Would they be likely to show some leniency and allow him in if he's only 2 days short of the deadline?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dantilley

He wouldnt be worried about entry in Thailand, they may not even let him on the plane on the other end.

As regards leniency, it all depends on were his is getting on the plane...it up to them, however if they let him on and they will not let him in Thailand then the cost of repatriation and possibly a fine are on the airline as they never followed the rules

Had occassion to see the 6 month validity issue in action in Thailand, were Mrs Soutpeel was travelling with me to Malaysia and they stated Mrs Soutpeel did not have 6 months on her PP and would not all her to check-in.....however it turned out the lady behind the counter couldnt count and in fact she had 7 months left on her PP when I worked it out....:lol:

So yes they do enforce it

Edited by Soutpeel

It will likely depend on his Visa type, how long he intends to stay, and if he has onward airline ticket. i have friends with this experience where they were permitted to enter but only on the proviso they had onward travel and/or a 30 days visa.

It is the passport holders responsibility to obtain new passport when validity is less than six months.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Point taken that the biggest issue will be caused by the airline themselves, whether or not they will let him board.

That said, assuming he flies, he wants a standard 30 day visa exemption stamp - he's just coming here for a 2 week holiday.

I realise that the rule is there and so is likely to be enforced where needed - I was just wondering quite how strict they'll be with it. Obviously a passport with a couple of months left would be a no-go, even 4-5 months I can imagine - but this is a case of being just 2 days short.

Anyone know of any cases of being so close to the cut-off point?

Edited by dantilley

...That said, assuming he flies, he wants a standard 30 day visa exemption stamp - he's just coming here for a 2 week holiday...

This means he has a return ticket with the return flight within 2 weeks from arrival in Thailand, doesn't it? If this is the case, he should email the airline and ask for confirmation that they will let him travel with his passport expiration date.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Point taken that the biggest issue will be caused by the airline themselves, whether or not they will let him board.

That said, assuming he flies, he wants a standard 30 day visa exemption stamp - he's just coming here for a 2 week holiday.

I realise that the rule is there and so is likely to be enforced where needed - I was just wondering quite how strict they'll be with it. Obviously a passport with a couple of months left would be a no-go, even 4-5 months I can imagine - but this is a case of being just 2 days short.

Anyone know of any cases of being so close to the cut-off point?

I would assume if he makes it the flight, he would not have any issue on the Thailand end with immigration, but never say never...:lol:

This means he has a return ticket with the return flight within 2 weeks from arrival in Thailand, doesn't it? If this is the case, he should email the airline and ask for confirmation that they will let him travel with his passport expiration date.

Good idea, thanks, and yes he has a return ticket.

...That said, assuming he flies, he wants a standard 30 day visa exemption stamp - he's just coming here for a 2 week holiday...

maestro - very good point.

Just two weeks ago I did a border run to Cambodia to get another 90days (multiple entry business visa) with only 5month left on my passport. The Cambodian and the Thai immigration as well mentioned that I have to renew my passport as soon as possible, but they didn't make problems with the entry/reentry. The Thai immigration gave me the 90days without any issues. Maybe I was lucky, but after the 90days my passport is still valid, so why worry? I'll have to leave Thailand before the passport expire, I think that was the point they had in their mind.

fatfather

• Like 1

How does this work? Let's say my passport expires in Devember. I want to travel somewhere in June (pushing 6 month boundary), so being prudent I renew it 2 months earlier, in case there are problems.

Does My new passport have an expiry of old passport + x years? Or is it x years from renewal date? I've been told it's renewal date, which means the life of the passport gets shorter

I would consider this a sour point with passport renewal. I suppose only a small point.

Edit: I'm Australian. Consider each country has it's own rules

Edited by Madivad

Slightly different problem but I once went to Indonesia with some one who didn't have full page left for their large visa on arrival sticker. Immigration was not amused and initially told him he would be deported after overnighting in a chair in the airport. Eventually they saw their way clear to accepting a contribution to the immigration officers' benevolent fund and slapped the visa on top of some Thai visa stamps LOL. It took about an hour and a fair bit of angst and I have to say I was somewhat irritated that my friend had not got a new passport before the trip. He got back to Thailand without any problem despite the covered up Thai stamps.

Better to sort out problems of expiring or full passports before travelling.

My ex-wife in the USA just tried to take my kids to Mexico for a two week holiday.

My daughter had 5 months and three weeks left on her passport and yes she did have a return ticket, - but the airline would not let her travel.

Personally, - I do not see the logic in this law.

But, as one of the other people said above, get your friend to check with the airline first. It cost my ex-wife (and me a lot) because the tickets were not refundable

Should be okay as his passport was in order when he bought the ticket. Just to be sure he should say he presented his passport to the agent when he bought his ticket that's if they even ask. I was using my UK passport up until it's final week at Thai immigration and they didn't say anything. I renewed it at the last minute in BKK with only 3 days left on it. With any luck he won't get a jobsworth?

How does this work? Let's say my passport expires in Devember. I want to travel somewhere in June (pushing 6 month boundary), so being prudent I renew it 2 months earlier, in case there are problems.

Does My new passport have an expiry of old passport + x years? Or is it x years from renewal date? I've been told it's renewal date, which means the life of the passport gets shorter

I would consider this a sour point with passport renewal. I suppose only a small point.

Living in Asia my last three passports have become full before expiry.

Last time I had to get a new one I still had 5 1/2 years left. They gave me an extra 6 months on my new 10 year passport as compensation. I was pleasantly surprised.

No that is not how it works!If you apply for a new passport the new one you receive will be for 10 years from the time the application is approved and what day the batch of passports are processed.There is no 'add on' for say the 2 months left on your old passport!One thing to factor in for anyone applying for a new Australian passport is that if you apply for a new one 'before' your old one runs out,you only have to phone them up ,send your photo's and not have to bother about filling out the whole application form!!expires in Devember. I want to travel somewhere in June (pushing 6 month boundary), so being prudent I renew it 2 months earlier, in case there are problems.

Slightly different problem but I once went to Indonesia with some one who didn't have full page left for their large visa on arrival sticker. Immigration was not amused and initially told him he would be deported after overnighting in a chair in the airport. Eventually they saw their way clear to accepting a contribution to the immigration officers' benevolent fund and slapped the visa on top of some Thai visa stamps LOL. It took about an hour and a fair bit of angst and I have to say I was somewhat irritated that my friend had not got a new passport before the trip. He got back to Thailand without any problem despite the covered up Thai stamps.

Better to sort out problems of expiring or full passports before travelling.

I had exactly the same problem going from Vietnam to Cambodia. There was no space for the full page Cambodian visa so they stuck it over some 4 year old Thai entry stamps. They didn't at any point ask for money but they made me sign a document, in English, saying that I was prepared to accept full responsibility for the breach of official guidelines.

I was so grateful that I tried to give some money as a way of saying thank you but the officer would not take it. :jap:

Just another word of caution...the U.S has a very stringent attitude on passports that are near to the 6 month expiry limit and any passport that falls short of the 6 month limit for when a passenger is travelling back from there could well be denied entry(e.g. 7 months on passport...5 weeks in US...beware!!)

Just another word of caution...the U.S has a very stringent attitude on passports that are near to the 6 month expiry limit and any passport that falls short of the 6 month limit for when a passenger is travelling back from there could well be denied entry(e.g. 7 months on passport...5 weeks in US...beware!!)

Are you saying the US has a 6 month PLYS length if stay to travel there? eg if I get a visa for three months in the USA I need to have 9 months validity in the passport?

He wouldnt be worried about entry in Thailand, they may not even let him on the plane on the other end.

As regards leniency, it all depends on were his is getting on the plane...it up to them, however if they let him on and they will not let him in Thailand then the cost of repatriation and possibly a fine are on the airline as they never followed the rules

Had occassion to see the 6 month validity issue in action in Thailand, were Mrs Soutpeel was travelling with me to Malaysia and they stated Mrs Soutpeel did not have 6 months on her PP and would not all her to check-in.....however it turned out the lady behind the counter couldnt count and in fact she had 7 months left on her PP when I worked it out....:lol:

I HAVE A GOOD CONTACT AT TCEB AND WILL ASK QUESTION, WILL GET ANSWER OVERNIGHT (HOPEFULLY)..............

I work for an airline and its just not worth taking a chance,the Thai consulate in Hull said no problem(its an international regulation) but airlines will not board you as they have to pay any fines etc.

Normaily at check-in they have the latest date(i.e 6 months from that day) that they will allow to check-in and if they refuse you,its your fault and no refund/or changes will be down to you.

I know as I double checked with EVA and got a new UK passport(they do add any time left on your old onto your new passport)

hope this helps

Absolute rubbish.

I flew to NY last month for a 2 day seminar with only 4 months validity on my passport. No problem whatsoever for the arline or immigration. I had proof of return flight to Bangkok.

Just in case anyone's interested - my friend got into Thailand OK at the weekend. But, he somehow managed to get a new passport with only a day's notice! So, we'll never know whether or not the 2 days less than 6 months would have been allowed...

I HAVE A GOOD CONTACT AT TCEB AND WILL ASK QUESTION, WILL GET ANSWER OVERNIGHT (HOPEFULLY)..............

I have had resply from Thai Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) HQ in BKK and they called their Immigration buddies and they confirm that there should be NO problem in arriving at BKK with a passport scenario of nearly 6 months left on your current passport. Thats pretty solid feedback as I have dealt with TCEB for some time and the person I go to is very high up in the Thai organization., Good Luck. Regards Roy