Passport Less Than 6 Months Left

How does this work? Let's say my passport expires in Devember. I want to travel somewhere in June (pushing 6 month boundary), so being prudent I renew it 2 months earlier, in case there are problems.

Does My new passport have an expiry of old passport + x years? Or is it x years from renewal date? I've been told it's renewal date, which means the life of the passport gets shorter

I would consider this a sour point with passport renewal. I suppose only a small point.

Edit: I'm Australian. Consider each country has it's own rules

I am canadian and had a similar problem.Went to consulate got the paperwork,got a new passport.Assumeing the rules are the same or close,they will stamp the old passport as invalid for travel or any other use.And your new one is valid from the time of issue from you're consulate or embassy.Not allowed to have two passport's so old one is invalid but returned to you if you ask for it.If staying here in thailand you will need the old passport to have stamp's and visa's transferred.

Edited by cbc

Actuially you are allowed to have more than one passport if you have a need for them. But normal traveler does not have that need. Visas are never transferred but can be used in the old passport with stay stamped into the new passport.

Just another word of caution...the U.S has a very stringent attitude on passports that are near to the 6 month expiry limit and any passport that falls short of the 6 month limit for when a passenger is travelling back from there could well be denied entry(e.g. 7 months on passport...5 weeks in US...beware!!)

Absolute rubbish.

I flew to NY last month for a 2 day seminar with only 4 months validity on my passport. No problem whatsoever for the arline or immigration. I had proof of return flight to Bangkok.

Edited by sydneyjed

Not outbound from Australia you wouldn't have buddy... You wouldn't even have made checkin as it's a prerecrisite that the 6 months has to be adhered to...full stop!!!I.m in whole tourism and believe me we can't afford the fines and grief especially from the U.S.

The USA does not have any such requirement. The requirement is that your passport be valid for the period of your stay.

U.S.A. (US)

Passport required.

- Nationals of Australia may enter with passports valid for

period of intended stay.

https://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

I flew to NY last month for a 2 day seminar with only 4 months validity on my passport. No problem whatsoever for the arline or immigration. I had proof of return flight to Bangkok.

I saw the other post about passport validity for the US, but what about the 6 months you require for Thailand? Do you have a non imm type visa that may be treated differently?

My ex-wife in the USA just tried to take my kids to Mexico for a two week holiday.

My daughter had 5 months and three weeks left on her passport and yes she did have a return ticket, - but the airline would not let her travel.

Personally, - I do not see the logic in this law.

But, as one of the other people said above, get your friend to check with the airline first. It cost my ex-wife (and me a lot) because the tickets were not refundable

A relative was denied boarding since her passport was deemed 'broken' (and then the checkin-ppl managed to damage it further while proving their point) -- luckily the airport [in our country] had a police-station on the grounds that issue passports in 2 hours...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Blast.

Got the same problem as TS mentioned. 6 days short, only for a holiday of 3 weeks, leaving next wednesday to BKK, coming back to Holland on April 19th, passport expires October 13th.

6 dam_n days.

Well, my bad. Just a stupid mistake i'd never wish to anyone. Be careful as they can easily spoil your holiday by rejecting you at the airport. I'm not afraid for border control in BKK.

As the rules at airports (Schiphol Amsterdam HOLLAND for me) are very strict these days, i'm afraid i got only 2 days left to get a new passport. Will be an expensive one I guess, hope to succeed.

Good news: Got my brand new passport 2 days before I traveled, so everything was perfect. :)

BAD news: Now we'll never know if my old passport "expiring 10-days less than 6 months" and "practically full" would've worked or not. :huh:

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 1 year later...

No that is not how it works!If you apply for a new passport the new one you receive will be for 10 years from the time the application is approved and what day the batch of passports are processed.There is no 'add on' for say the 2 months left on your old passport!One thing to factor in for anyone applying for a new Australian passport is that if you apply for a new one 'before' your old one runs out,you only have to phone them up ,send your photo's and not have to bother about filling out the whole application form!!expires in Devember. I want to travel somewhere in June (pushing 6 month boundary), so being prudent I renew it 2 months earlier, in case there are problems.

Does My new passport have an expiry of old passport + x years? Or is it x years from renewal date? I've been told it's renewal date, which means the life of the passport gets shorter

I would consider this a sour point with passport renewal. I suppose only a small point.

Edit: I'm Australian. Consider each country has it's own rules

For UK passports, the new passport runs from the date the old one expired, or is due to expire.