New Zealand Working Holiday

Hi everyone,

I had a question re: posting, or going about advertising a job, and screening prospects for a house keeper to come out to NZ to work for 6 - 12 months.

The gists of the requests, is, I know that you can bring out other girls from other countries to work in New Zealand for a working holiday - but these girls have to pay fees to be matched with families, and I don't forsee how someone in the domestic industry could pay the high fees to come out.

So, I would like to look privately for a housekeeper to come out from Thailand for 6 months to a year.

We would pay her a comparable wage.

Work visa to work in New Zealand.

Her return airfare from Thailand to New Zealand.

Show her some of New Zealand.

Her own guest house, with kitchen, and bathroom.

My mother would also like to have someone come out, and in our own conversation thought a pair of girls that know each other might like to come out together so they wouldn't get lonely.

In return, the girls would be live in housekeepers, with Sundays off.

They would be expected to do chores such as vacumming, laundry, dusting, and other domestic duties, but would not be expected to work more than 5 - 6 hours per day.

Could someone please put me on the right path as to how, or whom would be interested in such a working experience ?

Thanks

S

Edited by kiwilady

I guess the test would be could you not employ a person with PR in NZ for a housekeeping job??

Sounds very altruistic.

I am not sure how NZ immigration would look at importing non skilled workers.

It would be an interesting test.

I suspect they may feel this kind of work may be open to abuse.

Hi everyone,

I had a question re: posting, or going about advertising a job, and screening prospects for a house keeper to come out to NZ to work for 6 - 12 months.

The gists of the requests, is, I know that you can bring out other girls from other countries to work in New Zealand for a working holiday - but these girls have to pay fees to be matched with families, and I don't forsee how someone in the domestic industry could pay the high fees to come out.

So, I would like to look privately for a housekeeper to come out from Thailand for 6 months to a year. 

My mother would also like to have someone come out, and in our own conversation thought a pair of girls that know each other might like to come out together so they wouldn't get lonely.

They would be expected to do chores such as vacumming, laundry, dusting, and other domestic duties, but would not be expected to work more than 5 - 6 hours per day.

Could someone please put me on the right path as to how, or whom would be interested in such a working experience ?

Thanks

S

I know there are companies that will match families to domestic workers. I family member of mine had a housekeeper come out from Germany for a working holiday, and have thought of doing something like this, but my mother and I thought, well, if we're going to go to the expense of doing something like this, would like the opportunity to have someone who might actually get a real experience out of it, and vice versa.

We have had workers come out from Israel, Japan and other more "westernised" countries, and it was a lovely cultural experience.

If you sponsor your worker, then you can get an visa. My company was going to sponsor a worker (someone we could get from NZ) and immigration dept. had no problem with it.

It's more the fact, that you are willing to sponsor the applicant, plus, the fact she will have return airfare - they're more lenient in these circumstances.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

S

The NZL division of my company has employed non-NZL citizens/PR holders before, so I feel more than qualified to respond.Not housemaids, rather highly skilled and qualified technical resources, however the immigration process is something I'm very familiar with.

First, read the immigration regulations for work visas and permits.

Immigration Service

It has all the info you need regarding how to qualify for work visas/permits and what obligations an accredited employer has to fulfil.

What you are proposing, working as a housekeeper for a private household...you will not be able to do this.Simple. You are not a NZIS accredited employer, you would have to demonstrate what lengths you had gone to in advertising the job to NZL citizens/PR holders and why local applicants were not suitable etc... This is not Hong Kong, there are no provisions in the immigration system for housemaids.

I wont bark on, all you need to know is at the immigration website. Basically to legally work here you need to be a NZL citizen, have PR, or be a highly skilled migrant in an area of short demand offered a job by an accredited employer (not a private citizen ,rather a well established company).There are small provisions for students to work part time, partners of permit and citizenship holders etc..There is also a NZL-thai working holiday scheme.

Tourists can not work legally. Again everything you need to know is on the NZIS website.

To conclude, given the nature of the prospective job coupled with the fact that you are not an accredited employer, is not legally possibly to acheive what you want.And i doubt that the calibre of thais who could qualify for PR or the working holiday scheme purely on their own merits would be interested in housework.

Well somethings amiss in Helens paradise.

Just go to downtown auckland.

Taxi industry is deregulated and all the drivers seem to be from India or west.

Cant figure out how they all get in.

I may be wrong in terms of NZ, but working holiday schemes in other countries only permit entry to certain nationalities (generally those countries from which there is no pressure to emigrate) and Thai may not be one of them.

Scouse.

If you are getting the person into New Zealand on a working holiday, then you may want to look at this document here

Be aware though that the scheme works based on the assumption that work done will be secondary to the primary purpose of taking a holiday. Using is a defacto ‘work visa’ is typically frowned upon, and contrary to the aims of the visa. Given that only 100 are to be issued in any one year, the NZ authorities will be very keen to ensure that applicants are genuine. Also be aware that the applications have to be made by the Thai citizen themselves, not by a prospective employer.

If you are talking about getting a standard work permit for the girls to come and do the work, I think you are going to struggle. Work permits are typically given to highly skilled/in demand workers to plug a gap in the NZ labour market. You’ll typically have to prove, via wide ranging advertising, why no NZ citizen or Permanent resident can do the job you are advertising.

It is unfortunately a typical migrant story. Highly skilled and qualified doctor, lawyer, IT guru etc migrates to the west to start a better life, but doesn’t get a look in locally to ply his/her trade. Are forced to drive taxi’s, wash dishes etc etc

It is unfortunately a typical migrant story. Highly skilled and qualified doctor, lawyer, IT guru etc migrates to the west to start a better life, but doesn’t get a look in locally to ply his/her trade. Are forced to drive taxi’s, wash dishes etc etc

Ain't that the truth.on three taxi rides in a row in NZ I had a dentist from Manila, a Physiatrist from China and a Doctor from Sri lanka :o

As for the op's orig question, I believe it will be a cold day in ###### before NZIG let in ladies to be maids for you.They do not like unskilled Thais, as they believe that the chances for overstay is huge and that they are probably prostitutes...in the eyes of NZIS anyway. :D

Very true

I have had highly qualified koreans driving cabs,Who cant get a job and just do it to get out of the house!!!

My old company is one of the largest electronics manufacturers in NZ.

A couple of the factory hands drive mercs and live in million dollar houses.

I have to say without immigration from asia we would not have handled the growth we have had in the last 5 years.

I always question the taxis I fall into in my drunken state,always interesting stories,bet my last buck they are all on the benefit as well.

Thats what sucks about NZ.

Ain't that the truth.on three taxi rides in a row in NZ I had a dentist from Manila, a Physiatrist from China and a Doctor from Sri lanka :o

As for the op's orig question, I believe it will be a cold day in ###### before NZIG let in ladies to be maids for you.They do not like unskilled Thais, as they believe that the chances for overstay is huge and that they are probably prostitutes...in the eyes of NZIS anyway. :D

Very true

I have had highly qualified koreans driving cabs,Who cant get a job and just do it to get out of the house!!!

My old company is one of the largest electronics manufacturers in NZ.

A couple of the factory hands drive mercs and live in million dollar houses.

I have to say without immigration from asia we would not have handled the growth we have had in the last 5 years.

I always question the taxis I fall into in my drunken state,always interesting stories,bet my last buck they are all on the benefit as well.

Thats what sucks about NZ.

Old customer of mine Hired his Tiawanese next door neibour to be a storeman at his company....found out a later that this guy was filthy rich.They now have 2 large importing business togeather. :o

Remnants of the OLD residency scheme. Now, in order to migrate as a skilled migrant you MUST have a skilled job ready for you.

It is not a case of not liking ,the NZIS are not subjective,they follow an operations manual.It is a case of the work and residency categories of NZIS policy are geared towards economic growth and "net gain" skilled migrancy(reverse brain drain).Therefore, objectively, this rules out those without the skills to contribute to NZLs economic prosperity, regardless of nationality. For permanent migration for the unskilled there are many family categories, student categories(that could lead to work), refugee quota(not really applicable to Thailand though). Also being "skilled" is not a prerequisite to getting a vistor visa.

The best option for getting a SE Maid in NZL, would be to advertise in local media for someone who is already here legally.There must be plenty of thai, philipinos who could use the part-time work.

Edited by muldoon

Remnants of the OLD residency scheme. Now, in order to migrate as a skilled migrant you MUST have a skilled job ready for you.

It is not a case of not liking ,the NZIS are not subjective,they follow an operations manual.It is a case of the work and residency categories of NZIS policy are geared towards economic growth and "net gain" skilled migrancy(reverse brain drain).Therefore, objectively, this rules out those without the skills to contribute to NZLs economic prosperity, regardless of nationality. For permanent migration for the unskilled there are many family categories, student categories(that could lead to work), refugee quota(not really applicable to Thailand though). Also being "skilled" is not a prerequisite to getting a vistor visa.

Piggy, the NZIS are subjective...the ops manual is a guide line. I know of at least one case that took them to court and won a $50,000 settlement because of this very reason.It has well known that unless a person comes from a high paying job, that they immediatly thik..prostitute.There is also more overstayers per capita than only the PI's....so they are ever vigilant in this regard.(That's straight from the horses mouth...I used to have a mate who worked there) There also have been intstances where some employees of NZIS have been corrupt.I hope this has changed.

On the last figures that I looked at , there was only one person under the refugee quota that has been accepted over the last 4 years.I suspect that this person came from one of the other Ethnic groups in Northan Thailand.

Piggy, the NZIS are subjective...the ops manual is a guide line. I know of at least one case that took them to court and won a $50,000 settlement because of this very reason.It has well known that unless a person comes from a high paying job, that they immediatly thik..prostitute.There is also more overstayers per capita than only the PI's....so they are ever vigilant in this regard.(That's straight from the horses mouth...I used to have a mate who worked there) There also have been intstances where some employees of NZIS have been corrupt.I hope this has changed.

On the last figures that I looked at , there was only one person under the refugee quota that has been accepted over the last 4 years.I suspect that this person came from one of the other Ethnic groups in Northan Thailand.

You sound like you have experience in the area of unskilled thai immigrants, and being that it is "well known", I'm clearly way out of the loop on this one.Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.Maybe I'm bias only having dealt with immigrants who meet or excede existing immigration categorys. But it would be a little unfair to tar ALL immigration officers with the same brush.There are surely some who apply their decision making with objective diligence. I hope you are voting National :D

Edited by muldoon

You sound like you have experience in the area of unskilled thai immigrants, and being that it is "well known", I'm clearly way out of the loop on this one.Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.Maybe I'm bias only having dealt with immigrants who meet or excede existing immigration categorys. But it would be a little unfair to tar ALL immigration officers with the same brush.There are surely some who apply their decision making with objective diligence. I hope you are voting National :D

It will be a cold day in h3ll that Mr(hehe) Clarke will ever get my vote :D

Edited by chuchok

Nats want investigation into overstayer case

13.09.05 2.15pm

The National Party is calling for an independent investigation into claims a Thai overstayer was hired to tile a Labour MP's house in Samoa after he came to the MP for help gaining a New Zealand work permit.

TV One News reported last night that Associate Pacific Affairs Minister Taito Phillip Field had asked Associate Immigration Minister Damien O'Connor to review applications for New Zealand work visas by Sunan Siriwan and his wife.

Mr Siriwan came to Mr Field for help. He was facing deportation, and his de facto Thai wife had already been deported.

Mr Field sought O'Connor's intervention, and apparently did not tell Mr O'Connor that he was flying Mr Siriwan to Samoa to work on his house.

Mr Field said there was no connection between the review he asked for and the fact that the man carried out work on his house in Samoa.

Mr O'Connor has said he will review the man's case on merit.

But National's immigration spokesman Tony Ryall said today a judge should lead an independent investigation into the case.

Mr Ryall said it was concerning if Mr Field had received cheap services in return for his help and the Government had some explaining to do.

"If a minister did get cheap services in return for supporting a work visa, then that is unprecedented. This would go to the heart of ministerial conflict of interest.

"(Prime Minister) Helen Clark should be explaining what her minister has been up to.

"And if Mr Field did not tell Mr O'Connor of the full circumstances around his representation, then that is very worrying," Mr Ryall said.

Mr O'Connor said yesterday MPs from all parties regularly came to him asking him to intervene on behalf of individuals.

His review of Mr Siriwan's case would be subject to all standard criteria.

Mr Siriwan and his wife are still in Samoa.

- NZPA

:o:D:D

Ain't that the truth.on three taxi rides in a row in NZ I had a dentist from Manila, a Physiatrist from China and a Doctor from Sri lanka :D

It will be a cold day in h3ll that Mr(hehe) Clarke will ever get my vote :D

:o:D