Don'S Food

cmjantje

It would be a shame for CR to lose the option of going there for meals and/or drinks. The little town needs the choices. The place certainly isn't for me but it hits the spot with others and that is important.

As for giving up on advertising on this forum, that makes sense. Pity to sponsor a forum where the reviews of your services and goods are so negative. Personally, I think he brought that on himself. But since it happened, it makes sense to spend the advertising dollars somewhere else, where there isn't any feedback.

I don't know if he is closed down or not. The idea that he originally had is a good one. If he drops it, maybe someone else will take advantage of the opportunity. The town needs a good, western style steak place. As for his location (distance from town), there isn't anything wrong with it. If the service and product are good, the reputation will sustain the place and people will do the drive. It IS a shorter trip than going to CM. If the product and service have shortcomings, then it only adds to the negative of a longer drive. But all of that is on the shoulders of the operator. You can't please all of the people all of the time but if you're pleasing the majority all of the time, then the positive reviews will outweigh the negative. That hasn't happened, as near as I can tell. Maybe someone can make it happen in CR. There is a market for that product and service.

Hopefully Don's Cafe is still up and running. When I said victim of location; meaning that after reading some of the forum threads, a lot of people wouldn't be inclined to to travel any great distances for food. Don's Cafe isn't any great distance from where I am...what 23 kms by my GPS if I remember correctly. If I don't mind going to Mae Sai to get BBQ nuts for my wife, I certainly don't mind travelling to Don's for brunch or any other luncheon. I'll be back there again as it was a pleasant first experience. :)

Edited by Garry

There’s been a fair bit of complaining about the standard of Farang food available in Chiang Rai lately, indeed it’s a regular staple of expat discussion.

Are our expectations too high?

The local food isn’t usually criticized, occasionally there’s a whinge about MSG or kitchen hygiene but generally it gets the thumbs up.

Let an expat open a restaurant though and God help him if the standard slips below three or four stars on the Michelin Guide.

The moaning can start even at the ordering stage, a teenage girl with Thai high school English skills on 100B a day plus the occasionally niggardly tip is expected to faithfully record the complexities of a foreigner’s dietary requirements… “the eggs over easy my dear, but only for a few seconds…”.

Then the pricing is examined critically, a three course meal offered for the cost of a sandwich in the USA had better be first rate, 500B for a steak is outrageous, even if the owner does have to import the meat from afar. What was the last time you got a decent steak for $20 in Sydney, New York, London or what ever other overpriced city you come from?

So then cometh the food.

Too cold, too little, too tough, too stringy, undercooked, overcooked… without a thought given to the fact it’s eaten in exotic surroundings, often with spectacular scenery a glance away and it’s presented by an attractive young waitress who… WAIT FOR IT… is actually honestly polite and offers customers a genuine smile.

But of course we’re used to far better at home, let me describe the average Australian country pub where the slatternly waitress, fag illegally dripping ash everywhere, sneers as she presents leather like meat and greasy chips for $20.

Want to complain? See the barman over there, flexing his prison tattoos under his dirty blue singlet as he waits for the opportunity to throw out “trouble makers”.

Bah..humbug.

Hopefully Don's Cafe is still up and running. When I said victim of location; meaning that after reading some of the forum threads, a lot of people wouldn't be inclined to to travel any great distances for food. Don's Cafe isn't any great distance from where I am...what 23 kms by my GPS if I remember correctly. If I don't mind going to Mae Sai to get BBQ nuts for my wife, I certainly don't mind travelling to Don's for brunch or any other luncheon. I'll be back there again as it was a pleasant first experience. :)

Just to add, this is the link to my comments on my first visit to Don's Cafe: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/165347-dons-foods/page__view__findpost__p__4136466

There's been a fair bit of complaining about the standard of Farang food available in Chiang Rai lately, indeed it's a regular staple of expat discussion.

The local food isn't usually criticized, occasionally there's a whinge about MSG or kitchen hygiene but generally it gets the thumbs up.

Let an expat open a restaurant though and God help him if the standard slips below three or four stars on the Michelin Guide.

The moaning can start even at the ordering stage, a teenage girl with Thai high school English skills on 100B a day plus the occasionally niggardly tip is expected to faithfully record the complexities of a foreigner's dietary requirements… "the eggs over easy my dear, but only for a few seconds…".

Then the pricing is examined critically, a three course meal offered for the cost of a sandwich in the USA had better be first rate, 500B for a steak is outrageous, even if the owner does have to import the meat from afar. What was the last time you got a decent steak for $20 in Sydney, New York, London or what ever other overpriced city you come from?

So then cometh the food.

Too cold, too little, too tough, too stringy, undercooked, overcooked… without a thought given to the fact it's eaten in exotic surroundings, often with spectacular scenery a glance away and it's presented by an attractive young waitress who… WAIT FOR IT… is actually honestly polite and offers customers a genuine smile.

But of course we're used to far better at home, let me describe the average Australian country pub where the slatternly waitress, fag illegally dripping ash everywhere, sneers as she presents leather like meat and greasy chips for $20.

Want to complain? See the barman over there, flexing his prison tattoos under his dirty blue singlet as he waits for the opportunity to throw out "trouble makers".

Bah..humbug.

Your comparison with western prices is a tourist trait and for most of us who live here for a while we will compare prices with local fare.

On Don's first entrance to this website he complained bitterly about the lack of good restaurants in Chiang Rai. He said he would change all that but unfortunitly his contribution to good food in Chiang Rai fell well short of the mark.

I have eaten there and the food was good but on the second visit it was unexpectantly closed and on the third visit over half of the menu was not available.

The location wasn't great, many people couldn't find it and were completly confused about the parking.

When people eat in a farang run restaurant and pay a bit more, is it not reasonable that they expect a bit better service and quality?

Whatever about the quality of restauarants in Chiang Rai, thank Buddha we don't live in Australia.

-

There's been a fair bit of complaining about the standard of Farang food available in Chiang Rai lately, indeed it's a regular staple of expat discussion.

The local food isn't usually criticized, occasionally there's a whinge about MSG or kitchen hygiene but generally it gets the thumbs up.

The moaning can start even at the ordering stage, a teenage girl with Thai high school English skills on 100B a day plus the occasionally niggardly tip is expected to faithfully record the complexities of a foreigner's dietary requirements… "the eggs over easy my dear, but only for a few seconds…".

So then cometh the food.

Too cold, too little, too tough, too stringy, undercooked, overcooked… without a thought given to the fact it's eaten in exotic surroundings, often with spectacular scenery a glance away and it's presented by an attractive young waitress who… WAIT FOR IT… is actually honestly polite and offers customers a genuine smile.

But of course we're used to far better at home, let me describe the average Australian country pub where the slatternly waitress, fag illegally dripping ash everywhere, sneers as she presents leather like meat and greasy chips for $20.

Want to complain? See the barman over there, flexing his prison tattoos under his dirty blue singlet as he waits for the opportunity to throw out "trouble makers".

Bah..humbug.

I asked a few month's ago about the market of beautiful steaks etc.

The market is Far Too Small.

For a good steak go to Ayels. she has got the Angus.

And about the price? If you consider that the price of these steaks when you buy it is around 2.000 Baht p/k... What do you expect to sell it for?

Cows in Thailand are absolutely NOT the same like in the US, Australia or Europe. It has to do with aging the meat.

OK. now Its my turn. Farangs in Chiang Rai hope and believe that just because we are either Euorpeans or Americans etc etc, that we will follow our own countrymen and as well as eat Thai food we will require and NEED good "Western Fare " .

IF, we frequent foreign owned restaurants we know we will pay extra for having that "western food we crave for ",we know we will pay a premium, regardless if lets say the beef is either Thai grown /manufactured somewhere or imported . What we require is GOOD food regardless of where the produce originates , as we know we will pay even though not knowing where its from.

To start with, we need good service and it doesnt matter if its a Thai restaurant or farang restaurant , SERVICE is Important..

Then if you can supply a good service along with GOOD FOOD , then we are all happy.

SADLY, there are farang owned restaurants that do not deliver , not only for the service but BAD food!!

Thai restaurants are renowned for SLOW service but the end product is generally above par and enjoyable. The prices we pay for Thai food are acceptable yet I do not want to pay in my opinion prices for shoddy service and Crap food that is being marked up as world class, top class or any <deleted> class when it doesnt hit the mark by a long shot , that are owned and run predominately by westerners / farangs..

So, as for Dons' , hes not been around as much as he should have been ,but he hoped that he left his business in good hands. Again , sadly when hes not about , the place falls apart.

I am not picking on HIM personally but he knows already that when hes not around,everything is not as it should be,

As for those foreigners who live here, have restaurants and have poor service and really crap food, shame on you. If you were in Europe you wouldnt stand a hope in hell of making it good , you know your only as good as your last meal you serve and if its CRAP, people dont forget. GIVE THE SERVICE AND THE FOOD FOR THE PRICES YOU COMMAND and if you can deliver,we will come back, IF NOT, GOOD BYE and GOOD LUCK ,go somewhere else..

I am not impressed . My reviews are genuine and my opinion . I have been back to several places without making further reviews , purely as none have warranted my amendment , which means none have improved on the FOOD. Service has improved but I will wait and see if any other part of the dining experience changes.

Dont hang DON and his restaurant, as I wont hang anyone else . just get your shit together and supply a 100% good all round service and food that WE WILL pay for, it not , you will go bust like many,where-ever you are or from !!

My wife's cousin who spends 8-9 months in Sweden as the lead chef in a major restaurant, wants us to go half in a new restaurant in Phayao serving western, European, and Thai food with him cooking and running it. He has been in the food business for about 25 years and sounds like a great idea but I have no clue about a business I know nothing about and hesitant to do it.

Ginoooooooooooo :D The first thing I would consider if entering the catering business here , is IF there is a market for a European / Farang restaurant where you want to open it. Who are your customers going to be ? Would you have enough custom from both Thai and Farangs on a daily basis to make enough profit to pay the gas bill at the end of the month ? What other restaurants are in the area , what food do they provide, what prices are they charging and what custom do they have .

Good luck.

Ginooooooooooooo, if I am correct then you are soon to be moving to Phayao.

If you want some advice,settle in for a year or two and enjoy your new home, then decide whether you think the restaurant would be a good idea or not.

Do you personally know this cousin? Why is he moving back to Phayao? Do you need the aggravation of having this business running and how much control will you have? How good is your Thai?

Why does the cousin need your financial assistance if he has been successful in Sweden?

These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself.

Please don't interpret my post as a slur of any kind against your wifes cousin, but too many people have came to grief getting involved in businesses with relatives and I would not like to see you fall into that category and get a sour introduction to your newfound life here in our beautiful country in which we have chosen to live.

Just my two cents worth mate.

Good luck.

C35B :wai:

P.S. On second thoughts what I really meant to say was DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Edited by chang35baht

Sunholidaysun1 said "Thai restaurants are renowned for SLOW service"

I can only assume that this happens on your second visit to restaurants, they're all saying "Oh no, not him again".

I've never had a problem eating in Thai places, the food always comes quickly.

But then I'm usually accompanied by Mrs sceadugenga, otherwise known as "she who must be obeyed" who tolerates no slovenly service in Thai restaurants.

Ginooooooooooooo, if I am correct then you are soon to be moving to Phayao.

If you want some advice,settle in for a year or two and enjoy your new home, then decide whether you think the restaurant would be a good idea or not.

Do you personally know this cousin? Why is he moving back to Phayao? Do you need the aggravation of having this business running and how much control will you have? How good is your Thai?

Why does the cousin need your financial assistance if he has been successful in Sweden?

These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself.

Please don't interpret my post as a slur of any kind against your wifes cousin, but too many people have came to grief getting involved in businesses with relatives and I would not like to see you fall into that category and get a sour introduction to your newfound life here in our beautiful country in which we have chosen to live.

Just my two cents worth mate.

Good luck.

C35B :wai:

P.S. On second thoughts what I really meant to say was DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Seconded.

Look at it this way. Which would give you more satisfaction? Two years from now, saying 'Oh, shit!", or to years from now saying "Whew, I'm glad I still have that capital in the bank!". The chances of saying, "Wow, what a good idea this has been" is very poor.

Honestly, ask around and you'll find the numbers of people who have bet on a sure thing and lost far outweigh the numbers who have succeeded. As far as businesses and farang go in this country, from what I have seen, Thailand is the land of broken dreams. I wonder how many people here would be much better off financially if they had just held their money and enjoyed retirement. Big number, I'm sure.

Lastly, if you're going to bet, bet on yourself, not a partner. If a idea is worth doing, it is worth doing yourself so you have responsibility over the the outcome, whether success or failure. Better to have yourself to congratulate on the success or to blame for the failure. No broken relationships with relatives or partners that way.

Wait a few years, as recommended above. If it is a sound idea, it will still look that way two years from now. In the meantime, you will see lots of others come along and try. Learn from them before you take that big step.

Sunholidaysun1 said "Thai restaurants are renowned for SLOW service"

I can only assume that this happens on your second visit to restaurants, they're all saying "Oh no, not him again".

I've never had a problem eating in Thai places, the food always comes quickly.

But then I'm usually accompanied by Mrs sceadugenga, otherwise known as "she who must be obeyed" who tolerates no slovenly service in Thai restaurants.

To be honest my wife and I have rarely had slow service from any Thai restaurants. We've only had one in the Rai of note, where we had slow service and terrible thai food.

^^

My thoughts exactly, however we are called upon to accompany guests on occasions, and usually to advise them where to go.

My principal complaint is that sometimes they see farang and they dumb down the food.

When I order, or someone with me orders, a traditionally spicy dish, that's the way we want it, not "phet noi".

One of the best I ate at was near the old airport... by the golf course?... it was dark... which was full of young Thais obviously on a night out and the food was superb.

As were the waitresses, mainly college girls... :)

Edit: Reply to VF.

Edited by sceadugenga

^^

My thoughts exactly, however we are called upon to accompany guests on occasions, and usually to advise them where to go.

My principal complaint is that sometimes they see farang and they dumb down the food.

When I order, or someone with me orders, a traditionally spicy dish, that's the way we want it, not "phet noi".

One of the best I ate at was near the old airport... by the golf course?... it was dark... which was full of young Thais obviously on a night out and the food was superb.

Scea, I’m sure that if there is a beguiling young enchantress in the vicinity, you will find the food most delectable and the service much too fast for your liking. ;)

^^

One Thai word I learnt early in the peace was 'tam-a-dah' (?). The english phonetic spelling my not be correct, but in short 'don't change it'

To ginooooo, just to back up earlier comments on your restaurant idea here are my thoughts.

My wife and I ran a small ( 40 covers ) restaurant in Ramsgate Kent for nearly 10 years. It evolved

from a fishermans cafe when we bought it to a fully fledged licensed Thai restaurant when we sold.

It was a fantastic experience, and of course we came to Thailand and thought we knew it all.

But Thailand is not England and our foray into the restaurant business here in a superb location

was shortlived, not because of our incompetence but because of the underhand devious ways the Thais do business.

They can renege on any or all of the promises made and you will have no comeback whatsoever. Unless of course you pay a big big premium to someone at the top of the food chain in your area.

Sit tight and enjoy the sunsets with a nice cold'un in your mit with a beautiful Thai lady making sure your glass is never empty.