Don'S Food

cmjantje

It seems to me that men living overseas with Thai wives often get the notion that they will have the inside track or get a free pass when they retire to Thailand.

Truth is, they are sometimes more naive than the guys who know they are venturing down the rabbit hole.

I concur that one should not jump into anything too quickly, if at all. ;)

My wife's cousin who spends 8-9 months in Sweden as the lead chef in a major restaurant, wants us to go half in a new restaurant in Phayao serving western, European, and Thai food with him cooking and running it. He has been in the food business for about 25 years and sounds like a great idea but I have no clue about a business I know nothing about and hesitant to do it.

Ginooo,

Phayao........ Out of the question.

Your best if you want to do this to be in a bigger city.

The location must be a Prime location and easily accessable or forget it.

Chiang Rai can and is fastly becomming a market for upscale and falong products, services, and foods.

A new Central Plaza Mall will open about April this year in Chiang Rai with a Robinson's department store, upscale shopping, Cinema, McDonalds, Sizzler, Fuji and other restaurants (per the list of vendors seen on various webs discussing this)

Remember that Thai's will have to be the main staple of a business. Even for western and european foods.

Never forget that the place has to be special and have a certain theme or atmosphere.

Thai's only go out to go to special places and sometimes the price is not the question if the place has great food and atmosphere.

Swinsons and Pizza Company are full of Thai's here in Chiang Rai all the time.

It can be done. But it has to be done correctly. No results are quaranteed either successful or failure. Business is always a gamble.

Well, if I can redirect the thread back to the OP, I've just returned from Don's where I dined with a visiting Lizard2006 and his charming lady wife.

Don was away but the two waitresses served us promptly, and our orders arrived within ten to fifteen minutes.

I had tacos which were excellent with the salsa and green avocado stuff that came with them, the others had hamburgers which they obviously enjoyed.

We had soft drinks and finished with large mugs of good coffee for a total cost of less than 500B.

Well, if I can redirect the thread back to the OP, I've just returned from Don's where I dined with a visiting Lizard2006 and his charming lady wife.

Don was away but the two waitresses served us promptly, and our orders arrived within ten to fifteen minutes.

I had tacos which were excellent with the salsa and green avocado stuff that came with them, the others had hamburgers which they obviously enjoyed.

We had soft drinks and finished with large mugs of good coffee for a total cost of less than 500B.

Good news!

Their Mexican food seems to be more Tex-Mex style than the Baja Style a lot of people are used to.

At Don's, the Refried Beans are the darker, thicker style, and the Mexican Rice is a little bit stronger flavour.

The filling meat for the tacos and burritos is also fine (even if it is horse meat. like that served on a street roach coach in Mexicali) :lol:

Guacamole (when/if available at Don's) is fine. Chips are generic as he buys them in bulk bags. but they are good as long as not out dated.

Enchilada's are lacking cheese and a decent sauce. Don does not seem to have a good salsa, but a selection of Tabasco style bottled sauces.

But all in all the Mexican food is good, just a differnet style.

Kae's Mexican Food in the Night Bizzare is more the Baja Style.

I personally don't care for her chicken and beef meat fillings. (I prefer the horse and goose meat) :)

The Enchilada's are great and very cheesy with a nice sauce.

The refried beens are the lighter grey/brown style and the wifey likes them and the mexican rice better (so do I) :D

Salsa, chips and Guacamole are great at Kae's. But her Guacamole is seasonal availability.

I also like the Taco Salad served in a big flour tortilla bowl. I prefer the corn tortilla, but a nice difference.

Kae uses more cheese on her dishes than Don's and is also a little more expensive. But not a long drive from central Chiang Rai.

The menu at Kae's now that she is in the Night Bizzare is limited from her old menu's. No Fajita's. Only Mexican food now.

Kae seems to have limited evening opening times from about 6:30 to 8:30 or 9 pm.

Don's I found to be inconsistant the last couple years for being open or closed. And food prep time is very very slow. But I try to enjoy the scenery and a few Leo's whilst anticipating a decent mexican meal. (as long as the mossies arn't biting)

I have not tried Don's other western items.

Seems easy for many to criticise the attempts of some to bring western food here to Chiang Rai.

Remember all the quality ingrediants are not always available, and to each his own on taste.

I for one am happy that they try. If I don't like it, Kay Sara Sara and I cook western food (the things I know how to make) at home.

Edited by TacoBoy

My wife and I have no intentions of jumping into a situation like that. He goes to Sweden because he can make a lot more money for his family in Thailand than working in Thailand. Hence why he wants to go into business with me and stay in Thailand all year. I know him very well but the business not. Wife does want to start some kind of business there when we get established. Got a small one now playing at local events, marriages with music karaoke, etc. Pay is poor which the family takes care of. Maybe about 3000 baht for 4-5 hours.

We complain about the locality but it was beautiful out there last night, the visitors constantly commented on how quiet it was.

TacoBoy, I'd be interested to hear your comments on the chilli con carne, I took a friend their for lunch one day and he was horrified that (as someone put it), it didn't burn holes in the roof of his mouth.

I asked around and the general opinion is that you should make it as hot as you like by adding hot sauce, the dish should come in a mild form to please those who don't approve of it too hot.

Edited by sceadugenga

I have not tried Don's Chili Con Carne. They were out of it every time I ordered it.

But agree that a restaurant should serve it and other dishes non-spicy and let the customer add Hotness as they like with salsa's, thaibasco type condements, and peppers and onions.

As for Don's location and atmosphere, it is rustic but nice and quiet set in a natural type setting.

It can be considered a bit far out of the way for those on motorbikes or without a car or other transportation.

Not a bad ride on a motorbike because the traffic is rural. Can be a long way if it is raining :annoyed:

I developed my connesewership for Tacos and Burritos from my time waiting to see the Donkey Shows in Tijuana and other Boarder Towns.

The Street Roach Coaches are the best before and after the Show B)

Edited by TacoBoy