Become An Air Courier

bakachan

Has anyone ever tried working for one of the air courier companies? If so, is it worth

the added hassle of carrying documents just to get a discounted/free airfare?

With the postal system in thailand as bad as it is, it would seem there would

be a brisk business in hand carrying important documents into and out of thailand.

Edited by bakachan

I have done it several times to Bangkok and also to London from the US. It works out great and courier duties are minimal so that it usually only takes 15-20 minutes to drop some envelopes after locating the courier rep at the airport. You don't carry or see any packages. Sometimes the courier company will limit you to carry-on luggage only(ie no checked luggage because they want your baggage space ).

Only other major downside that I didn't like was that you are usually paying only a slightly discounted rate (eg $400-450 from the US Westcoast to Bkk) and are subject to the schedules of the courier co. for your return. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and stay as long as I want.

If you don't make your return flight, you forfeit a deposit you leave with them ($500 as I recall). I never missed any return commitments but often wanted to stay longer than the one week they had in mind. Sometimes they will allow longer stays.

If it meets your trip schedule, go for it. If you get lucky, you can get free or very cheap ($200 or less) last minute flights (you are notiifed less than a week to travel).

I belonged to IAATC in Colorado (about $40 a year dues) that keeps you appraised of which courier companies fly where, costs, contact numbers, an informative newletter, some hotel discounts, etc. They have a website if you want more info.