Vientiane Double Visa: Three Strikes And You'Re Out!

I cannot find it in here, and I would like to know... is there an Official Position for How Many Tourist Visa page stickers a person can have in their passport? Maybe someone who can fluently speak Thai knows, or can ascertain, the answer. I assume the 'Official Position' relates to ALL Embassies/Consulates, and not just Vientiane. Once we know the 'Official Position', then we will know that over and above this number is up to the flexibility of the particular Officer dealing with it.

The "official" position is here on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA):

2. TOURIST VISA

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

There is no limitation in the number, but in the purpose of the visit in Thailand. If the consular official suspects that your visit would be for a purpose other than tourism, he can refuse the visa. An information sheet put up by one Thai consulate seems to indicate that the MFA has issued some internal guidelines as to when to have such suspicion: http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/1284075988/med_gallery_21260_1006_234527.jpg. Again, no specific number is mentioned; this may still be at each consulate's discretion.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ ^ If you love your wife, go for it.

Just remember, don't invest more in Thailand than you can walk away from.

Sound advice. But I think I'll be investing it at home. Seems a little safer!

The key term here is "invest"; for 99.99% of westerners here "investing in Thailand" is an oxymoron, along the lines of "holy war" or "relatively unique".

I have learned after many years here to consider anything of any value (including of course money) leaving my physical possession as "spent". In the rare event that anything other than intangible benefits (goodwill, future services rendered) return to me, I then treat the return as income (again both in bookkeeping and mentally), just as I would an unexpected gift.

So not - "be prepared to walk away" but "accept from that moment that you've already gifted it away".

I have found this practice to be of great benefit to my peace of mind, compared to how I used to think/act back in farangland.

On the surface both I and the person receiving the value may be going through the motions of calling it a "deposit" or a "loan" or "starting a business together" or whatever, but within my heart such outgo gets immediately written off - and in any financial accounting (mental/paper/computer whatever) transferred from the asset side to an appropriate expense category. This is most particularly true for anything involved in romantic/sexual relationships, but I've found it best to apply to any attempts to establish "purely business/professional" ones as well.

"You're confirming what I've been saying all along. They don't have time to analyse the length of periods between visas, where they were issued and total time spent in Thailand. They are too busy and just quickly count the stamps. They were doing that in Penang too."

... what about Singapore? It's been years since I visited there; but, when I did, there was never a problem with the number of entries on a Tourist visa.

"You're confirming what I've been saying all along. They don't have time to analyse the length of periods between visas, where they were issued and total time spent in Thailand. They are too busy and just quickly count the stamps. They were doing that in Penang too."

... what about Singapore? It's been years since I visited there; but, when I did, there was never a problem with the number of entries on a Tourist visa.

Vientiane is a very busy consulate with hundreds of applications daily. The Singapore consulate (going on reports I've seen) is a quite office which has time to look into each application more closely.

AS for Singapore embassy.

My Cambodia GF and i went there 2 weeks ago to get her a new tourist visa. She usually returns to Camboida for 3 wqeeks to 6 weeks in between trips to stay wiht me. She had 4 previous tourist visas and 2 of them had 1 month extensions.

The lady that took the application told me she should stay longer out next time before she received another toursit visa. ( she did give it to us) I told her she usually stays at home 3 weks or more but she didn't even bother to look at the dates..

She is 100% tourist as she stays with me

Re: Kuhn A's post #321 which references Section 96 of The Land Code, the High Priests of Usufruct will not be happy by your suggesting the gift>purchase>usufruct transaction may not 'hold water' especially when the usufruct is granted for zero or token consideration.

It would be more difficult to nullify, if the agreement were executed before marriage, as I suggested, since the Civil and Commercial Code's provision for nullifying contracts between man and wife doesn't specifically extend to cohabitees. Of course, you can easily pay a consideration for the usufruct and tax on that, if you feel that would make it more watertight.

There is no mystique or priesthood cult surrounding usufruct but people who come from Anglo-Saxon common law jurisdictions are unfamiliar with it since it is a civil law concept borrowed from French law (and originally Roman law). Nothing is foolproof if you decide to buy land in some one else's name. However, usufruct provides an extra layer of protection and I believe it would not be a trivial matter to get a court to nullify a properly registered usufruct right based on a well drafted usufruct agreement tailor made for the situation (not the boiler plate one you attached). Usually it is necessary to wait for a few months after transferring ownership, since the Land Dept wants to be sure the owner has had time to think about what to do with the land and hasn't made a rash decision. In addition, the head of the Land Dept office will normally interview the usufructor to ensure that he or she understands the implications of granting a life time usufruct and get him to sign a confirmation of this understanding. Even the right of the usufructee to rent out the land on a long-term lease against the wishes of the land owner has been upheld by a Supreme Court decision. Certainly a registered usufruct agreement would put off all but the most determined Thai partner or his or her heirs from selling or hocking the family house from under you.

Even though you enjoy sneering at anything I say, there are many TV members, including some of those who are trying for double entry visas in Vientiane, who have bought or are planning to buy a house in the name of a Thai wife or gf who have never heard of usufruct and would be interested to know how they can add another layer of protection though the simple and inexpensive mechanism of a usufruct agreement. Why would you not want to do it?

Sir -- I do not sneer at everything you say; only when you denigrate persons in responsible positions who make or implement policy when you happen to disagree with them or assume that any such policy was made due to being ill- or mis-informed. You obviously however put a good deal of time into formulating your comments.

I worked in Oil&Gas finance in the USA and while my particular interest was taxes and regulatory reporting, I was familiar with land conveyances for exploration and production purposes. Transactions amongst related parties or companies were always judged upon whether they were made at 'arm's length' or fair market value. When a Thai woman married or otherwise who has never earned more than 5K baht per month in her life buys a major property with money she received as a 'gift' and then leases or structures some conveyance or usufruct to the gift-giver at way below fair market value if not zero value, that would seem to me to be tailor-made for a Section 96 concern. There was obviously a quid pro quo arrangement prior to the land purchase by the Thai citizen to the alien.

These type transactions are fairly new but are for lifetime or 30 years and only as yet have not been challenged... but as you say if a fair market or arm's length transaction has occurred that is another story.

,if they want to kick out their tourists. Nothing we can do about it .

They don't. They want people to have the correct visas, as to be regulated properly. Too many paedos and criminals working illegally just to stay here and not using the correct visa procedures and working/teaching on Tourist Visas.

The reigns should be tightened. You either qualify to work/live here, or you don't. Questionable people living/working here on tourist visas from neighbouring countries should be reined in, and if they don't meet the requirements to live/work here legally, they should be shipped out, with a short stay in a prison cell to teach them some respect for another country's visa laws.

First of all, i am not living in Thailand with a tourist visa but i have many good friends doing it which benefits Thai people.

But, again my nerves jumped when i read this post.

Appropriate, you are talking like a Fascist/Nationalist Thai guy but you are not. On top of that, even Thai people are not against of foreigners coming/staying here as they are earning money out of it except you.

You are a farang here and and you do not need to kiss asses of Thai regulators/people by writing these kind of posts as they are not reading these man and even if they read they do not care about it you as you are a FARANG pretending to be a Thai or possibly not a farang not a Thai someone lost in translation.

But, you are free to comment about visa regulations at your office or to your wife/family or if you need more attention or if you feel like a Thai more than a Thai, you can even attend to the protests by yellow shirt guys and even can fight with Cambodians at the border.

I think you feel like you are self privileged by working here or married here. But keep in mind that, life is hard and uncertain as always especially in Thailand and you can be the one get banned entering Thailand at the end with this negative behaviour.

So if you are married here you can make very simple calculations. How much do you need to feed your wife every month??? or which one is cheaper or better?: To get tourist visa 4 times a year or to feed your wife/family a year long or kissing your employers ass all the time?:cheesy:

<BR class=Apple-interchange-newline>

Edited by loserlazer

,if they want to kick out their tourists. Nothing we can do about it .

They don't. They want people to have the correct visas, as to be regulated properly. Too many paedos and criminals working illegally just to stay here and not using the correct visa procedures and working/teaching on Tourist Visas.

The reigns should be tightened. You either qualify to work/live here, or you don't. Questionable people living/working here on tourist visas from neighbouring countries should be reined in, and if they don't meet the requirements to live/work here legally, they should be shipped out, with a short stay in a prison cell to teach them some respect for another country's visa laws.

First of all, i am not living in Thailand with a tourist visa but i have many good friends doing it which benefits Thai people.

But, again my nerves jumped when i read this post.

Appropriate, you are talking like a Fascist/Nationalist Thai guy but you are not. On top of that, even Thai people are not against of foreigners coming/staying here as they are earning money out of it except you.

You are a farang here and and you do not need to kiss asses of Thai regulators/people by writing these kind of posts as they are not reading these man and even if they read they do not care about it you as you are a FARANG pretending to be a Thai or possibly not a farang not a Thai someone lost in translation.

But, you are free to comment about visa regulations at your office or to your wife/family or if you need more attention or if you feel like a Thai more than a Thai, you can even attend to the protests by yellow shirt guys and even can fight with Cambodians at the border.

I think you feel like you are self privileged by working here or married here. But keep in mind that, life is hard and uncertain as always especially in Thailand and you can be the one get banned entering Thailand at the end with this negative behaviour.

So if you are married here you can make very simple calculations. How much do you need to feed your wife every month??? or which one is cheaper or better?: To get tourist visa 4 times a year or to feed your wife/family a year long or kissing your employers ass all the time?:cheesy:

Self-Projection? :huh:

Combined with serious anger? :huh:

Pity Thailand doesn't require mental health clearances with it's visa applications.

:jap:

The days of the perpetual tourist are coming to an end; a system can only be abused for so long.

Hopefully soon the only way of living here is with a real visa.

The number of sex-offenders working (mainly teaching, based on reports over the years) will be reduced due to proper background checks being required. A great bonus.

Tidying up these visa loopholes is well overdue.

Edited by appropriate

The days of the perpetual tourist are coming to an end; a system can only be abused for so long.

Hopefully soon the only way of living here is with a real visa.

The number of sex-offenders working (mainly teaching, based on reports over the years) will be reduced due to proper background checks being required. A great bonus.

Tidying up these visa loopholes is well overdue.

wow you guys are all so sad!!! I am gay and white. I went to a gay asian bar in San Francisco where I lived for a number of years. I was 28 years old, the average age fo the white guys was 50s or more. The old white guys hated younger white guys imposing on their only place to score with much younger gy. When I was introduced to older guys from asian friends that was my age the older white guy would refuse to even shake my hand. This is the same typeof thing!!! It seems you guys are jelious of each other!!! The older guys that can get a retierment visa feel lucky and do not want to compete with younger guys for the girls or boys they want. those lucky enough to be young and be working here are the same. The visa rules have been open for a long time, many have made thailand their home years ago and yes maybe they use loopholes in the Visa rules, but it is Thailand that allowed this and wanted the money these people brought. Now Thailand needs the money less then before so things are are getting more tough and the rules that Thaksin started have NOT stopped. I met many western people whom think that since they have been in Thailand longer then another person that they are better, etc. wake up guys stop this crazy monkey business!! I was reading this post to get info, not here all the flaming. This site has got to be so sad grow up!!!

This topic started with the quote of somebody's fuzzily-written blog post and quickly degenerated into off-topic posting, prolonged bickering between a few members, blanket aspersions of criminal behaviour of foreigners with a certain profession, and outright flaming. Time to close this topic.

:mfr_closed1: