Vientiane Double Visa: Three Strikes And You'Re Out!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists don't need 4 Tourist visas.

Good to see them cracking down on people illegally abusing the system.

Should really make it a limit of 2, not 3. Or even a limit of one in neighbouring countries.

Are you saying that if you have a penchant for a particular country that 3 times is the number of times you should be allowed to visit it, in your lifetime?

:huh:

:lol:

Er, no.

*whisper* you don't need a tourist visa to visit Thailand.

But noone was talking about VOA.

And neither was he. VOA is not the same as a visa exempt stamp.

It's unfortunate that so many people on Thaivisa that don't understand the visa/entry system of Thailand have to post about it. :angry:

What's there to expand on? The same people who gripe about how hard it us for them to stay as foreigners in Thailand are the same group who gripe about foreigners in their neighborhoods back home. I guess it's different when you're white...who in their right minds wouldn't roll out the welcome mat for a white guy to put down roots after all?

I also don't hear them complain too much when the Africans in Soi Nana -- who largely are just minding their own business, too -- get picked on.

Well, - let's restrict tourist revenue. Who the hell in the Thai Government is responsible for this?

Do that to tourists - or even longer stayers, - then what are the consequences for Thailand? ...Not so good.

14% of GDP going down the drain, .... slowly. While the Thai Government spend big Baht doing absolutely stupid PR campaigns to bring more foreigners here.

Then what? Cannot stay longer? Insanity, - considering the amount of cash involved

Why make it so difficult for foreigners just to be here and contribute to the Thai economy? .... Yeah... because of a few bad stupid eggs.

... under 50, have money, do not need to work (especially in Thailand), are not married nor have a child with a Thai ... Any policy that would prevent (my) unlimited stay in Thailand is just plain retarded Thai style decision making without thinking ... Maybe the policy has been thought out and decided upon quite deliberately.

If you have so much money that you never need to work again under 50, you can get an visa based on an investment of 10 million baht. You can also form a Thai company to do some modest business and employ yourself. I don't think the restrictions apply to genuine tourists obtaining tourist visas from their home countries.

Am in same situation, under 50 don't really have to work, especially in Thailand. I will not invest 10m THB here, are you nuts! better to invest that in the "west" and get a better ROI/ safer investment.

Oh well, I don't care anymore since I am leaving soon after 2 1/2 years. :D :D

Tourist visas are for tourists. If you are obviously not a tourist, you don't qualify. Same as anywhere else. What's so hard to understand?

There is no point arguing with people like this case above. They are simply law book moralists. If the law said, arrest all left-handed people and bring them to the police, they would happily obey, they would form citizen police group even, without thinking twice.

Because it is the LAW and the LAW is everything. It is the way they feel superior to anybody else, especially to those criticizing or having troubles fulfilling whatever stupid things the LAW requires.

And, of course, saying visas are only for tourists is just plain wrong. Visas are issued for a range of visitations, even if a lot of them are a forgery or whatever. Take for instance a student visa. Throughout my school years I never thought of a foreign exchange student as a tourist, they're students not visitors to landmarks and hotels. wink.gif

Tourist visas are for tourists. If you are obviously not a tourist, you don't qualify. Same as anywhere else. What's so hard to understand?

There is no point arguing with people like this case above. They are simply law book moralists. If the law said, arrest all left-handed people and bring them to the police, they would happily obey, they would form citizen police group even, without thinking twice.

Because it is the LAW and the LAW is everything. It is the way they feel superior to anybody else, especially to those criticizing or having troubles fulfilling whatever stupid things the LAW requires.

...I totally agree with you! This guy wants to be judge and jury.

The conundrum of how a wealthy sub 50 year old can legally live in Thailand whilst a 50 year old near pauper can get a retirement visa has never been thought through.

Actually they have, it's called a Non-immigrant "O" Visa, and a one year "Extension of Stay" based on investment, or and "ED" Visa if they don't have the money.

second: you do understand that there are people like myself who are under 50, have money, do not need to work (especially in thailand), are not married nor have a child with a thai? what visa would you suggest to me? as far as i know the only options for me to stay in thailand with legal visas are the on year non-immigrant visas from hull or back-to-back tourist visas. i guess i could study thai too but i am too lazy

How about doing something useful with your time and money instead of coming to Thailand as a "tourist" every year? :jap:

Well, - let's restrict tourist revenue. Who the hell in the Thai Government is responsible for this?

Do that to tourists - or even longer stayers, - then what are the consequences for Thailand? ...Not so good.

14% of GDP going down the drain, .... slowly. While the Thai Government spend big Baht doing absolutely stupid PR campaigns to bring more foreigners here.

Then what? Cannot stay longer? Insanity, - considering the amount of cash involved

Why make it so difficult for foreigners just to be here and contribute to the Thai economy? .... Yeah... because of a few bad stupid eggs.

I'm not a person who would have a clever idea about something like this, but as Thailand spends more and more on advertising to attract tourists, it'd be cool if they could work in some neat assistance plan to make obtaining visas painless from one's home country, possible through agents or something. I don't know, it could work.

I live in Laos. In early December I went to the Thai consulate in Vientiane to get a (free) tourist visa to Thailand so that I could stay for a month. They saw many non-immigrant visas in my passport (I have Thai children) so they refused to give me one. So I went for only 15 days.

I'm sure that any of us could come up with a more rational visa policy. I would suggest "You can stay as long as you like, but you have to report to the local police every 30 days."

What's there to expand on? The same people who gripe about how hard it us for them to stay as foreigners in Thailand are the same group who gripe about foreigners in their neighborhoods back home. I guess it's different when you're white...who in their right minds wouldn't roll out the welcome mat for a white guy to put down roots after all?

I also don't hear them complain too much when the Africans in Soi Nana -- who largely are just minding their own business, too -- get picked on.

:cheesy: A blind forum member. :cheesy:

The long term farangs do not count as tourists. They should be considered 'immigrants'. Thai should allow long term visa for these immigrants, so they do not disrupt the neighboring countries.

Same goes for Work Permit holders.

If the Labour Department issue a Work Permit, then tie Immigration should immediately, without fuss, delay and having to submit basically the same set of data, issue a visa to cover the period in the work permit. These bullshit border hops and visits to consulates/embassies outside Thailand are a total load of brown smelly stuff.

May I point to this post:

My Thai girlfrind has just got off the phone to the Thai embassy in Vientiane. According to them, there is NO rule in force at that embassy saying 3 strikes and you are out...

They said that if you ring them up before making the trip and tell them exactly what the status of your past visas in your passport, they will tell you to either come up or don't bother.

The exact details of the double entry restrictions are 3 in a rolling 12 month period.

If your last 3 double entries extend beyond 12 months, then you are entitled to another one.

When you call, you must get the person's name who you talk to and make sure that they take a record of your name and passport number. This will ensure that you will be given one and your trip is NOT wasted. This is of course only applicable if they said you are clear to come.

Full post from today here:

There is no clever reply. Just common sense!

As I said, - 14% of GDP, - about to decline sharply (again).

My, - point ..... is that internal politics... and attitudes / policies towards people who can ... and do contribute towards the Thai economy,

are not what they should be (foreigners / tourism). When the business is gone, - maybe some people wake up.

It looks like Thailand is in for another major upheaval. Many countries in this world are experiencing such..... but it is sad!

most countries will let you stay 6 months. if you stay longer you will have to pay income tax. A lot of tourists and people like you are trying to avoid paying any tax which is not fair.

Should really make it a limit of 2, not 3. Or even a limit of one in neighbouring countries.

I understand you are only posting to provoke people but to answer your idiotic post seriously:

first: you do understand that some people have 10 year passports and might come to thailand lets say 1-2 times a year for 1-3 months at a time needing a tourist visa each time? this could result in 10+ tourist visas in the 10 year passport for a genuine tourist

second: you do understand that there are people like myself who are under 50, have money, do not need to work (especially in thailand), are not married nor have a child with a thai? what visa would you suggest to me? as far as i know the only options for me to stay in thailand with legal visas are the on year non-immigrant visas from hull or back-to-back tourist visas. i guess i could study thai too but i am too lazy

third: sure, there are people who might be working on tourist visas and they should not be allowed to do so but to reject anyone from getting another visa only because they have 3 existing stickers is just plain retarded thai style decision making without thinking

Not at all accurate, along with all the similar self-righteous comments. Just because you have to work and therefore get a business visa and WP, does not mean others must.

I know of a wealthy couple, in their 40's, who spend 6-8 months per year travelling and stay in Thailand two months at a time every 10-12 months, spend a lot of money and have a home that is rented from a Thai, paid for six years in advance. They do not work.They do not need to. They travel by taxi all over the Kingdom, sightsee, eat food and have fun. But according to Vientienne and you, they should not be allowed in 4 times in three years.

first: you do understand that some people have 10 year passports and might come to thailand lets say 1-2 times a year for 1-3 months at a time needing a tourist visa each time? this could result in 10+ tourist visas in the 10 year passport for a genuine tourist

But over that ten year period they would not be repeatedly entering Thailand by land from a neighboring country.

There's no evidence that people arriving by air from outside the region (as one might expect from genuine tourists) are being refused.

More generally, the situation has been created by people who abuse the system by repeatedly claiming to be tourists and running across the nearest border over and over again. The easiest way to reduce this problem is to reduce the repeat visitors who arrive from neighboring countries. Some "genuine tourists" may get unfairly caught by this, but the blame should be attributed to the people who abuse the system ( and brag about it on ThaiVisa) not at Thai Immigrations who rightfully feel no obligation to increase staff and equipment just to ensure no one gets his feelings hurt.

Basically the same thing applies to those people under 50. There may very well be some people who genuinely have the resources to stay in Thailand, not seek employment and who will spend to boost the economy. Unfortunately filtering out those from the many who are seeking a place to cadge drinks and handouts while getting up to no good is just not worth the time and manpower for Thai Immigrations.

Making generalized rules and regulations may seem "retarded" to those who are adversely affected, but if you want to blame anyone, blame the retarded farangs who make the rules and regulations necessary and who continue to seek out loopholes, which results in further tightening of those rules and regulations.

WHAT?? American passport is good for 10 years, visit thailand & Cambodia or Laos, 2 times a year with visa each time 20 stamps.

Edited by phuketrichard