Registering Uk Marriage At Amphur

Marvo

Just wondering...

When my Thai wife and I go to the Amphur to register our (UK) marriage with the authorities in Thailand, to they back-date the paperwork to the date on the UK marriage certificate, or are we only legally married in the eyes of the authorities in Thailand from the date that we register it at the Amphur?

My wondering is in connection with what assets are owned in Thailand by who, "before" and "after" being married. i.e. should that unexpected split occur somewhere down the line, as I understand things here in Thailand, the date the wife "acquired" assets (eg land!) dictates whether it be classed as a shared "marital" asset or a not-to-be-shared "personal" asset as it was owned before being "married". Please someone correct me if my understanding is not correct.

We're not expecting anything bad, just trying to be sensible, and fair to the both of us. TW is with me all the way to make sure we are equal partners in our marriage in this unequal country.

So, is it our UK wedding date, or the date we register it at the local Amphur?

The primary reason to record the marriage in Thailand is that it is required for marriage extensions of stay from Immigration.

Thank you Lopburi, that indeed is something to be taken into account. Another reason is the respect my wife and I have for each other and the desire for us both to feel "married" equally.

The scenario I was probing is something I've read somewhere before somewhere in this forum. Where a couple get divorced and land (bought during the marriage) is held in the wife's name, the document signed by the husband at the land office was disregarded under the Thai Civil Code, and the value of the land (in the wife's name) was accounted for in the 50/50 split that was awarded by the judge. I was just curious about something I've read where Thai law? states that assets owned individually by the couple before they are married, are not separated as part of a divorce settlement. Can anyone elaborate on, or confirm this.

Many thanks.

Under Thai law when you divorce you only split the assets (including the debts) you acquired during the marriage. What one had before the marriage is left out of it.

So if you had 100,000 before the marriage and acquired another 200,000 during the marriage you only split the 200,000.

More information: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/313877-thai-family-law/

With links to Thai divorce law and the Thai civil code.

Remember that you are married under UK-law, UK law might also apply to a division of assets (regarding assets in the UK). That is something to discuss with a competent lawyer.

You were legally married in the UK. The Thai government only makes a note of this marriage in their registers. You do not marry again in Thailand with registering it here.

My wife and I were legally married in the UK and while I was living in Bangkok I went to the UL embassy for confirmation of the marriage and then on to the MFA out at Chaeng Wattana and got a certified translation of the marriage certificate.

I have always used that with no problems and as yet we have not registered at the amphur.

For an extension of stay you are now required to register your foreign marriage at the amphur. For that you need to follow the procedure you did, but once you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate you need to register it at an amphur and get a copy of the entry into the register.

It is a relatively new requiement for an extension based on marriage, that is why you might have slipped through. But in the future you could have some problems in that immigration will eand you register the foreig marriage at the amphur. Of course only if you apply for an extension based on marriage.

For an extension of stay you are now required to register your foreign marriage at the amphur. For that you need to follow the procedure you did, but once you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate you need to register it at an amphur and get a copy of the entry into the register.

It is a relatively new requirement for an extension based on marriage, that is why you might have slipped through. But in the future you could have some problems in that immigration will demand you register the foreign marriage at the amphur. Of course only if you apply for an extension based on marriage.

Thanks for the update Mario.

I am on a retirement visa at the moment so no problem as long as the GBP/THB rate stays at a reasonable level as it is now.

My extension is due at the end of July and I have all the paperwork anyway.

Now where did I leave my wife last time?