Who Are The Experts In Exterior Windows In Chiang

rmbrodie

Hi,

I have a challenging design problem. I want to remodel my condo, and open up one of the rooms to make it a large combined kitchen and open balcony. BUT, I want to be able to close it off when the weather is bad, or when I leave Chiang Mai for a long time.

I want to have very large windows that hinge at the top, and open outwards. These windows will be very heavy, yet I want them to open easily, and stay put either fully open or fully closed.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a challenging design problem.  I want to remodel my condo, and open up one of the rooms to make it a large combined kitchen and open balcony.  BUT, I want to be able to close it off when the weather is bad, or when I leave Chiang Mai for a long time.

I want to have very large windows that hinge at the top, and open outwards.  These windows will be very heavy, yet I want them to open easily, and stay put either fully open or fully closed.

Thanks.

Are these windows the outside windows on the balcony or are they to be used to close off the room from the balcony when weather is bad?

Hi,

I have a challenging design problem.  I want to remodel my condo, and open up one of the rooms to make it a large combined kitchen and open balcony.  BUT, I want to be able to close it off when the weather is bad, or when I leave Chiang Mai for a long time.

I want to have very large windows that hinge at the top, and open outwards.  These windows will be very heavy, yet I want them to open easily, and stay put either fully open or fully closed.

Thanks.

Are these windows the outside windows on the balcony or are they to be used to close off the room from the balcony when weather is bad?

The former (the outside windows on the balcony). It is a small room.

I've seen heavy windows that open sort of like having hinges at the top but instead of the hinges at the top they have pivots on both sides part way down from the top...the ones I've seen are made with strong steel frames with a friction slide strut to brace the lower part open. When you push the bottom out, the top comes in....this helps to counterbalance the weight of the windows and the window won't stick out from the balcony so far so that the wind problem is reduced...I suppose that counterbalance weights could also be used...don't see why not.. I think its best you find an architect since the existing structure of the balcony might not support the added load of heavy windows especially if you consider that wind will increase the loading even more....we wouldn't want to drop things on the people walking below!!!

This should be fairly easy to arrange along the lines of an up-n'-over garage door, however I can envisage many problems with this type of design.

Don't think of doing the work without the help of both an architect and a structural engineer. Let their insurance pay out if your work causes problems with the building.