Sign Tax?

unforgettable_thai

I do design work here in ChiangMai. I recently designed a few signs for a company I have been working with. One of my friends told me there is a tax for signs printed in any language other then Thai. He told me that officials would show-up one day and ask for the tax. Does anyone know anything about this or is my friend off his rocker on this one?

There is a sign tax for any company sign, depending on its size. If the sign has not the conpany name in Thai but in any other language, the tax is doubled. Having the Thai company name in tiny characters underneath the English names qualifies as a Thai company sign.

You may check for the details with the revenue department.

If the sign has not the conpany name in Thai but in any other language, the tax is doubled.

Worse than that actually. A sign with no Thai is taxed at an exhorbitant rate relative to one with some Thai or all Thai.

We had a thread running on this topic a while back. Might want to try a search as I recall there was some useful information in that thread, including the actual tax rates.

Just a tip, the thai writing has to be above the foreign language on the sign. If the sign is only in the foreign language it is very expensive and it costs more if the Thai is below the other language. Go figure.

We have been hit with this sign tax for years, it is a local tax collected by the or bor tor I believe. Supposedly the money is used for local projects.

Also confirm Thai writing has to be above English to qualify for Thai price sign.

Average size should cost around 160Bt/yr.

English equivalent about 400Bt/yr Might find cost is different with location , materials etc. have no idea how they cost it!

In Chiang Mai , Tesabahn is responsible for collection of payment. Outside Tesabahn area probably (not sure) Or Bor DTor.

If the business is a supermarket, restaurant or bar it is worth contacting Pepsi, Coke or one of the beer agents here. They are normally happy to pay the cost of the tax, plus the cost of making the sign to your design, if you agree to allow them to put their logo on it. Doesn't help much if you are an undertaker or accountant, but saves a bit for those in catering or Minimarts etc.